Light Lover

Mastery seems impossible to me

25 posts in this topic

My Life purpose is illustration (that is my domain of 'mastery/spend 10,000 hours+ on to master'). I have tried everything to try and find the proper technique to try and START on the path of mastery, but I can't find it!! I have checked in books, on the internet, even looking at expert illustrators themselves, and all I can seem to find is info like 'how to draw this better, or how to improve your positions and backgrounds'! (Because of course none of them have actually mastered it themselves. and I have tried emailing the experts and they either don't have emails or their secretary sends back a useless message like, 'this question is impossible to answer ( when I ask how do I MASTER illustration).

I am really legitmatley getting scared now because I have tried so long, and I am worrying that I may be stuck on this for a fucking eternity before long, I don't think ANYONE seems to know how to master illustration, and I struggle with small things like this, it dosen't come naturally to me to just know what to do on it, espcially due to the fact that illustration itself is obviously a very vast and complicated field, but it does have a way to master it. It sounds so stupid, to get stuck right at the start of the mastery process, not even being able to start it because I don't know HOW to master it!!

Anyone here have any advice, are illustrators themselves? Thankyou very much if you can help or even try to help.

What the fuck :D You just illustrate for 20 years and then you've mastered it. I think it's impossible for you to not master it, if you truly care about it and just do it long enough.

@HII lol it's not as simple as that, I have already tried actually DOING it obviously, and it hasn't gotten me anywhere...I have tried backgrounds, positions, and I am clearly missing something, you don't just sit down and do whatever you want in illustration...which is what I think you are mistaking it for? You haven't given me a proper technique either, basically just repeated what I have heard others say over and over again, no offense :)

Then it shall be impossible, the mindset must change first in order for impossible to become possible.

B R E A T H E

@aurum you obviously didn't read my post, no offense again, but I clearly said I wanted MASTERY of ILLUSTRATION. Simple as that really, a mentor, formal schooling may work, but I didn't say I was looking for that, I said I was looking for mastery of illustration. That is simply what I am looking for. Mastery meaning the deliberate practice/improvement of a skill, that skill being Illustration.

@pluto you have misunderstood what I have said, I have not given up due to my starting to think it may be impossible, it is just a legitmate concern considering the ridiculous amount of time spent on Illustration so far and not one improvment on it at all...I have tried drawing random stuff from my imagination, doing backgrounds, facial expressions etc...of both humans and animals, what I am trying to say is I am clearly missing something, a technique which is in plain sight but I am missing....I am 'practicing' illustration to the best of my abilities, but cleary I am not doing something right, you can feel it, you know when you aren't actually improving/doing something right.

thanks @BjarkeT I will look at that, maybe that can help me get started on this, once I start and know how to improve/practice this, it will be easy!

I would recommend that you make your primary focus illustration, not mastery of illustration.   Perhaps, mastery of illustration will be an organic byproduct of love and dedication to illustration.  

@Light Lover I don't recommend to expect it to be easy deliberate pratice and deep work are some pretty difficult things to do but it can be very rewarding :) 

@blazed what about deep work and deliberate pratice?

Edited by BjarkeT

A lot of good advice up there ^^^

@Light Lover Have you ever heard about Sycra? He is a YouTuber that seems to have answers for all your questions. He has videos on how to bootstrap your drawing practice, how to deal with feeling stuck, etc. He also has done a lot of contemplation on how to become a good artist, develop your own style and how to grow your skill. Stuff that you should be doing too, if you want to master this field.

7 hours ago, Light Lover said:

it is just a legitmate concern considering the ridiculous amount of time spent on Illustration so far and not one improvment on it at all...

That's because your eye for noticing mistakes has developed faster than your drawing skills, every image looks like shit. You take that as a feedback, improve your sticking points and now every image looks godlike. Untill your eye adapts and notices more mistakes, then the whole thing goes again, and again. That's basically process of mastery wrapped up for you. That how it works, become aware of that and set proper expectations.

If you lack motivation for sustaining everyday boring practice then I would suggest you to find yourself a goal that will reinvigorate you as you go. Something big, like co-working with your favourite artist, desiging a cover art for your favourite magazine or creating a poster for a continuation of movie you love. I would take any crazy idea and work my ass off to make it real! With right vision in your mind you will stop asking unproductive questions.

8 hours ago, Light Lover said:

@aurum you obviously didn't read my post, no offense again, but I clearly said I wanted MASTERY of ILLUSTRATION. Simple as that really, a mentor, formal schooling may work, but I didn't say I was looking for that, I said I was looking for mastery of illustration. That is simply what I am looking for. Mastery meaning the deliberate practice/improvement of a skill, that skill being Illustration.

@pluto you have misunderstood what I have said, I have not given up due to my starting to think it may be impossible, it is just a legitmate concern considering the ridiculous amount of time spent on Illustration so far and not one improvment on it at all...I have tried drawing random stuff from my imagination, doing backgrounds, facial expressions etc...of both humans and animals, what I am trying to say is I am clearly missing something, a technique which is in plain sight but I am missing....I am 'practicing' illustration to the best of my abilities, but cleary I am not doing something right, you can feel it, you know when you aren't actually improving/doing something right.

thanks @BjarkeT I will look at that, maybe that can help me get started on this, once I start and know how to improve/practice this, it will be easy!

You stated you want a mentor, I thinks that’s a great idea. I just opened google maps and searched ‘drawing classes’. There were 11 places within an hour from me. Hopefully you have the same luck! 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I would approach this from a different angle. Two things, 1.) Let go of the desire to master illustration

2.) Do you think famous artists considered themselves as masters?

I strongly doubt Leonardo Da Vinci considered himself a master of drawing or art, even though his paintings sell for millions.

A life purpose isn't something you master and then move on from. You work on it until you are lying on your deathbed. 

Perhaps get comfortable with the work, rather than the outcome of "mastering" the purpose.

Continue to find new teachers, classes, instructors, and fellow artists.

@Light Lover Of course there is no one technique to get you on the path to Mastery. Each Master illustrator will have taken very very different paths to get where they are. You just need to be practising every single day with a focus on deliberate practise. Deliberate practise being work that stretches you beyond your current level. As opposed to just drawing what you're comfortable with. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

"Bakuman" manga is very inspirational and shows it's done. Complete hero's journey to becoming a world class manga artist. Just replace manga with any kind of illustration you are doing and you have an recipe for complete mastery. :)

@Light Lover Sounds like you're taking this concept of mastery too literally. You don't ask people: how do I master X? Rather, you start learning bits amd pieces and in 5-10 years you'll have a clear understanding of what mastery entails in that field.

Knowing how to master illustration is easy. You just draw a lot and read books and take courses on drawing, shade, color, anatomy, etc. This is a well-trodden path. Don't go reinventing the wheel.

Many trade schools exist for stuff like illustration. Or you can teach it all to yourself through independent study and practice.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thankyou all for your advice, to be honest, most of it I have heard before from other people so it isn't very helpful, but I may just be interpreting all of your info incorrectly/not listening the right way, but either way thanks all :)

There is no mastery

Not everyone likes the same thing so there is no mastery

You can master the masters tour (golf) because it has a clear winner

You cannot master self expression

Do you want to be an exact copy of something else that is famous and makes lots of money?

Then fuck off, we don't need another copy cat

Do you want to master your self?

Then you already are doing it

I'm not going to post my work because it is private, I think you have all said what can be said, simply, showing all of you my work isn't going to change any of your advice unless you ARE illustrators and have been at this stage before and therefore can help me progress, and if that is the case I will private message you :) .