Light Lover

Mastery seems impossible to me

25 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Light Lover said:

I'm not going to post my work because it is private

By it being private, do you mean something other than you don't wanna show it? If not, what's the reason for that?

I take advice from many people on many things. Whether they are more advanced than me in that thing is irrelevant, what's relevant is whether the advice is helpful or not. 

Another suggestion: If you miss a program on the market titled "How to MASTER Illustration", you can first find your own way of mastering it and then create that program. 

@Light Lover I've worked in animation and illustration... I am far from a master... but I've put in lots of hours (back when I was able to look past my perfectionism and other crappy neurotic/ self-efficacy issues)... anyway, does your finger that holds your pencil have a bump where you hold it? one of the greatest masters I've known had not only the bump, but also a concave dent within the massive bump that fit a pencil perfectly (so gross, but so cool)! I only have the bump...and perhaps it's shrinking... Leo is right about just doing the illustration/ work being the way... there is no one that can tell you how....that said ...I will offer what I can from personal experience.... have the ability to simplify, find your unique style/ styles, decide if you want to do your own projects or work for a publishing company, play with different mediums...have some fucking fun and be less serious in the ways that hold you back... don't let your self-efficacy stop you like mine does... you've found an awesome purpose....I feel like a Nike commercial but "just do it",  best wishes!

@Light Lover What you're looking for is your authenticity. Nothing is worthwhile until you combine your work with yourself, with your higher self. Only the external is never the solution. You start from the internal. The source is the internal. What you find on the internet are superficial informations. Superficial informations are useful and necessary at the beggining, you need to have in the "background" the technical informations, the "superficial" informations. But after you've learnt them, if it is really your domain that you need to master, you will ultimately need to turn to yourself. You need to dictate your work. Yourself, not the apparent "you", but the real you.

Until then, your work will be superficial and you won't like it, you will feel a certain emptiness.

Edited by student