zunnyman

Mini guide on how to successfully destroy your smartphone

23 posts in this topic

So I have been wanting to do this for a while now

Why destroy your smartphone?

- For me, and many other people it is the most time consuming addiction in our day to day life

- Small fact I heard, and not sure if this is accurate, but 41% of a human being’s lifetime is spent looking at a screen. I picture my life more out in nature. 

How to do it?

1) Look at all the apps you have, and delete the ones you don’t use.

2) All the apps you do use, write them on a notepad, and make a list. 

3) Find a substitute for each important app, and function of your smartphone. Some of the most important substitutes: Get a used mp3 player, old school gps, flip phone for messaging and calls, and if you have a laptop, that should act as a good substitute for all your other smartphone functions. 

Is this right for everyone?

* It depends on you, where you are in life, etc. For me personally, I feel like it would be a nice step in a positive direction, and I could see a better life doing this. Im actually really excited to do this. 

* On the other hand, I remember leo’s infastructure video, and he makes some good points how technology like a smartphone could be used to really advance yourself in self actualization and life purpose. Maybe when I am more conscious after a few years of work, I will get a smartphone again. 

Some of my favorite role models: 

* Sadhguru has 2 phones lol

* Ed sheeran got rid of his phone, and used an iPad as a substitute. 

Final thoughts

* It can be done if you go about it strategically, just do some planning and thinking if this is a right decision for you

Feedback

* Any thoughts on this? I plan on finishing this little mission within 4-8 days. I have thought about it for 5 months+ and think I am ready now. 

Nobody needs smartphones nowadays. I only use my smartphone as a meditation timer and music player. I could easily replace it with a small timer and a Walkman.

@Extreme Z7
Your Nickname sounds like a Smartphone series. :P

To the topic itself, for me it doesen't really matter all that much if I don't have my phone with me going somewhere.
I think if you are able to keep such a mindset where you barely even use it, there is no reason not to have it.

Edited by LaucherJunge

1 hour ago, Extreme Z7 said:

Nobody needs smartphones nowadays. I only use my smartphone as a meditation timer and music player. I could easily replace it with a small timer and a Walkman.

Hum yes it is useful, if you like, you know, have friends, a wife, a family.

Now if you live in a cave in australia, that's an another story of course :3

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I mean honestly. I have no way to get rid of my smartphone. I have already removed apps I don't need anyway. Instead I fixed some underlying issues. Understanding them by contemplating and studying. This was done a good while ago and I don't have any problems with it. 

21 hours ago, Shin said:

Hum yes it is useful, if you like, you know, have friends, a wife, a family.

Now if you live in a cave in australia, that's an another story of course :3

I don't live in a cave but I barely talk to anyone anyway. Don't even use social media at all.

I did fail to mention that I like to read books and comics on my smartphone but beyond that, it's useless.

It's not causing me much suffering at the moment though, so I don't really have much reason to get rid of it. Besides, I may need to text occasionally.

On 24/11/2017 at 2:16 AM, Extreme Z7 said:

I don't live in a cave but I barely talk to anyone anyway. Don't even use social media at all.

I did fail to mention that I like to read books and comics on my smartphone but beyond that, it's useless.

It's not causing me much suffering at the moment though, so I don't really have much reason to get rid of it. Besides, I may need to text occasionally.

Dude, you can call cops, medics and fireguard with it, it's ok not to have one if you live in a community where you're always with people around you, or in a very big city where there is always a lot of people around (but even then, at night shit can still happen).

That's one of the few reasons why I still keep a smartphone.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Orrrrr

Smash it against a wall. Hardcore approach.

The art is to look without looking 

On 23.11.2017 at 9:54 AM, zunnyman said:

* Sadhguru has 2 phones lol

lamo I pictured him as Kevin Gates

052a729a3c88cf30badd0e4e63134de6e60c09-w

Smartphones can be highly addictive and I've been guilty of it, but would't it be better to do some personal development to find and eliminate root cause  of  your  addictions than deprive yourself of one of the greatest tools humanity has ever seen ;)

2 hours ago, Vitamine Water said:

Orrrrr

Smash it against a wall. Hardcore approach.

When I said destroy, I literally meant destroy lmao

I’m not a technical guy but I have heard of stories of people retreiving a phones old data even after it has been restored to factory settings. So I’m thinking of smashing my iPhone haha

Smartphones are functionally amazing. Just use it responsibly and don't waste your time on it or become addicted to it. 

15 hours ago, Shin said:

Dude, you can call cops, medics and fireguard with it, it's ok not to have one if you live in a community where you're always with people around you, or in a very big city where there is always a lot of people around (but even then, at night shit can still happen).

That's one of the few reasons why I still keep a smartphone.

I just said I wasn't getting rid of it.

The more we use "smart" devices the more dumber and numb to our true selves, senses and natural abilities we get.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

I think the issue is the compulsive use of smartphones. If used consciously, I don’t see a problem really. 

Edited by zunnyman

I was using BlackBerry until recently and when it wasn't compatible with whatsapp anymore I had to change it and got an iphone, just for durability purposes. I use whatsapp on a daily basis because I have to call and message people abroad and with a traditional phone (or blackberry) it's difficult and ridiculously expensive. Although I don't do much shopping, I still have to pay bills and buy gas etc, and mobile banking is more convenient than online. Also, I think the sound quality of the iphone is much better than my old mp3player, and I can also listen to podcasts, it's quite difficult with an mp3 player. 

When I was using BlackBerry, I got a good GPS. But even that is nowhere near to Apple or Google Maps. In Turkey they tend to change the roads and routes very frequently and you have to bring your GPS home and check for updates regularly. This was very time-consuming and I got lost a few times when I was learning to drive.

So, definitely, a smart phone with internet access makes my life easier and the world smaller. But I don't load it with a bunch of apps, I try to use it minimally and with purpose. This is how my home screen looks (this is the only screen). I'm thinking about erasing social media as well. I think it adds value to my life at this point, but I totally see why you want to get rid of it and I support your decision.

IMG-5874.PNG

I actually just recently (within the last few days) made the jump from an iPhone to a $50 flip phone. I essentially did what you wrote about: I bought a digital timer for my meditation habit and my cold showers, I bought a physical calendar for appointments, I bought an SD card to play audio in my car, etc., etc.. All of my social media has been gone for a year. I actually wrote a blog post about it here: https://maximilianmcguiness.wordpress.com/2017/10/23/first-blog-post/. As most people here know, anything can be addictive. All that matters is how we choose to use and relate to these technologies. iPhones aren't inherently addictive. Sometimes all that's needed is a long pause. Sometimes when we leave something alone for a while, we can learn to use it properly again. Most of this fear that "we need to have it" is completely false. We think that if we get rid of our smartphone or our social media we will actually die and get obliterated. But I have done both! And I'm still here!

@zunnyman A smart phone can be essential for survival now a days you know that right? 

Real eyes, realize, real lies.

@sweater surviving in this society has become easy, so I wouldn’t say it is essential. There are many substitutes for a smartphone and many people have gotten off it and are doing great. 

It can definitely aid in survival and if you find more benefit than cost using it, then go for it. 

But there are definitely a group of people who would benefit from getting rid of their smartphones

On 23/11/2017 at 0:54 AM, zunnyman said:

* It can be done if you go about it strategically, just do some planning and thinking if this is a right decision for you

Feedback

I like what you said here. I like this word -- strategically. I use a simple pen and notebook to write a foreign language repeatedly. I enjoy that while learning a new language. I take a hike in nature. And you know, I'm planning to get a new smartphone to make YouTube clips.

What if you travel around the world living in nature, meeting awesome diverse ppl, solving world problems, and all you have to do is click some buttons on your smartphone. ;) Come on..everything starts with a dream.

Cease being addicted or there will be just another vice to replace it. I find that many who profess to live an awakened life are really just addicted to the pursuit of enlightenment so all they did was change it from one thing to another, not cease it. Some might say well, what's wrong with that? Isn't "enlightenment" good? Except that if the pursuit brings the same angst, anxiety and yearning as every other vice and not bring inner peace it won't produce the results sought. A poignant analogy would be to say that an addicted mindset pursuit of enlightenment is like taking drugs to get sober.