Butters

Feeling sad and confused about the future because of AI

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I watched the video that Leo shared on his blog last night:

And although I'm excited about the future of AI, it also makes me sad and hopeless for these reasons:

1. To think that in the near future people will just be able to manifest anything directly into form, while I have to go through suffering and be patient when manifesting my dream reality. This seems unfair. 

2. To think of all the lost jobs of creatives, to think that there is no real future for human creativity just saddens me.

3. To realize that AI will get so clever you have no idea what's real anymore. Even with safeguards in place, the AI could technically fool us, I guess.

4. Learning new digital skills seems a waste of time.

I'm learning video editing right now but that will be obsolete. Any creative endeavor will be obsolete in the near future it seems. The only thing I think will go up in value is human-to-human contact; seminars, social gatherings, 1-on-1 coaching etc. And perhaps in the short run manual skilled labor. 

I believed that there will always be a role for some human to bring their expertise, but this video makes it seem like in the future people will go "make me a movie about XYZ" and AI will literally create that movie with human-like creativity. I picture this as some VR, AR, AI pleasure dome of instant gratification and instant manifestation, but maybe I'm wrong here. 

Edited by Butters

It's out of your control. Just remeber that. Accept and continue working on yourself your life purpose etc. I know it can be scary and confusing but ao are many other things in life, but we keep going reaching and grasping in the dark so as to say :))

Yes, news like this can really make us sad.

When we encounter a trigger like this it is a great opportunity to turn inside.

Inquire deeper into this sadness. Where is it coming from? How big is it? Where do you feel it in your body?

Also think about it. Could AI help us to bring more human creativity into this world?

Jeffery Martin did a brief talk on AGI recently that made me more optimistic on AI, starts at 1:19:40

AgI will be the best thing that can happen to us.We need this as fast as possible. I don't care if I loose my job as a software developer for agi. We all will be rich.

Posted (edited)

On 4/19/2024 at 3:47 AM, Butters said:

but this video makes it seem like in the future people will go "make me a movie about XYZ" and AI will literally create that movie with human-like creativity.

We are very far way from that.

AI still can't do serious creative work.

People will just use many AI tools. AI will not do all the work for you. Even if you could just tell an AI to make XYZ movie for you, you would not have enough skill to tell it a great movie to make. The real skill is in the high level direction and design of any project or product.

Just very practically, I tried using AI for concept art, but in the end I had to hire a concept artist because AI cannot do what is needed for real-world business needs and artistic needs. AI does not make great art. You can get a few nice pieces out of it with 100s of hours of effort, but it's not enough for any serious project.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

Spirt development is all that matters anyway. So what is there to cry about. It's not like all the hardship will be gone, everything will become free and everything will lose meaning. Spiritual development is the hard work. And no ai can take that pain of walking a spiritual path from you. What a joy eh? 

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

5 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Spirt development is all that matters anyway.

That's not all that matters.

@Butters Don't be extremely fatalist about the future.

Study physics, chemistry, math, semiconductors (microelectronics/nanoelectronics), CAD, Robotics, Assembly, C, digital branding, communication.

You will be fine! :) 

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Care to elaborate? 

On 19/04/2024 at 11:47 AM, Butters said:

2. To think of all the lost jobs of creatives, to think that there is no real future for human creativity just saddens me.

This is so untrue. AI will be an incredibly powerful tool for creatives.

25 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Okay I'll present my case for why only spirit development all that matters. 

Here's my argument. Only what is true is valuable. Every effort spent on pampering egoic desires is effort wasted. If we eliminate all the waste. We get only spirituality related activities. Love inspired activities. 

Bam

Case closed. 

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Here's another way to debunk this. 

Only going in the direction that your heart truly wants matters. For to go against the heart is suffering. 

And if one follows the deepest desire of their heart. The deepest desire of everyone's heart is God. 

Bam

Case closed. 

Edited by Salvijus

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Salvijus said:

Bam

Case closed. 

You're way to cavalier about this.

All the survival activity humans do matters. The only reason you are alive is because some humans somewhere are slaving away in a mine.

All of your spiritual development rests on a material survival foundation.

Edited by Leo Gura

I'm super excited about AI, but there is a big chance everything you mentioned won't happen in our lifetime.

I made a web scraper with AI. It always recommended that I do it in an ethical way. I had to do a lot of things with myself as the interference of the AI is or can be seen as unethical in some scenarios, or it just cannot do it. You can be creative with your prompts, but there are still limitations to them.

Best case scenario: hybrid humans + machines

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You're way to cavalier about this.

All the survival activity humans do matters. The only reason you are alive is because some humans somewhere are slaving away in a mine.

All of your spiritual development rests on a material survival foundation.

That's true. But survival matters only because it serves spiritual growth. Survival for the sake of survival is a waste. Such a person is just occupying space then and killing other life to sustain itself to do what?  To drown in addictions and suffering? 

Edited by Salvijus

@Butters

Read the book Homo-deus by Yuval Noah Harari. He talks a lot about the future of AI and humanity, and how our current ideologies, ways of thinking and politics will have to shift because of this revolution.