jimwell

English Is A Crazy Language

19 posts in this topic

I've been using, learning, teaching, and dissecting the English language for more than a decade. As a non-native speaker of the language, I can easily detect the "faults" and needless complexities. A few years ago, I created and used my own English. I neglected the "craziness" and "faults" native speakers often use and commit. As a result, my English might have sounded weird or broken to native speakers or typical English teachers and learners. But perhaps, my English sounded cool and unique to some.

But recently, I combined my English with the "usual" English because, in the end, English is a medium of communication. It's not about being sensible or correct, but rather a way to express and understand each other. Unfortunately, the usual English does the job.

Here's one of the many things I dislike about English. There are too many words to describe one thing. I prefer simplicity to needless complexities. The problem is more about needless complexities than nuance.

crazy enlgish1.png

crazy enlgish2.png

crazy english3.png

In that conversation alone, "generated", "obtained", "created", "produced", "acquired", "earned", "made", "realized", "secured", "attained", "materialized", "accomplished", and "achieved" are mentioned. That's 13 words to choose from to describe 1 thing. And there are even more but I have no time to list them all.

I simply need 1 action word to describe the idea that I profited 90 USD via stock trading. But for variety, 2 action words are better. Perhaps "earned" and "accomplished". To be more metaphorical or poetic, "materialized" and "manifested" can be added. There should only be 4 English words to describe what I wanted to communicate.

I love complexity. But I also love simplicity. In the future, I might revert to using my English again to express or honor my ideas and insights. That happens when I prioritize simplicity, correctness, consistency, and sense over "commonness", rules, and easy communication. Integrating "how it should be" and "being practical" is very difficult but must be done.     

Revelation: I'm not a profitable trader yet. But I can be soon. :D 

This is why you have a perfectionism problem. Needing things to be a particular way from what they are. Do you complain about the different females and personalities and characters and styles and nationalities and all the differences between them.....to choose from. No. You just make your pick and work from there. If it doesn't work out, you pick again. Thats the beauty of life. Its varieties. 

Your particular brain is wired to search for problems and to seek out things that it doesn't deem to be perfect. That is who you're being and you will drive yourself crazy on account of that. You dismissed all the things I had to say to you in your previous post about how "your perfectionism" is making your suffer by calling them woo woo but here you go again, trying to control what already is the case. You have no choice but to keep looking for stuff to "fix" because thats the identity you have claimed. I AM A PERFECTIONIST. The script is written for that role and now you're playing it out. The only free will there is is freedom of choice and the choice to declare who you want to become. I AM...... Whatever comes after that is already determined, meaning if you say I am a perfectionist, whatever script is written for that role is now being played by you and the only difference between you and another person who claims that role is your beliefs, thoughts and how you perceive the world and yourself. 

You don't have to respond to this and you don't have to adhere, because I expect you to rebut and carry on with your perspectives and personal beliefs. You will not understand what I'm saying unless you drop the personhood and thinking there is a person there doing anything. There is none. It's just a program until you wake up to your true identity as Awareness, then you will be free to become whatever it is you choose to be aware of. Right now you are being led, by the script which cannot be changed but only when you have changed what comes after I AM and start to be aware of what and who you are becoming. 

Edited by Princess Arabia

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

English has a lot of vocabulary  because of the latin and germanic past.

Fun fact: Arabic language seems to have the most vocabulary. Over 1 million it is estimated. 

3 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

This is why you have a perfectionism problem. Needing things to be a particular way from what they are.

This is not the cause of my perfectionism; it's one of the manifestations. My perfectionism operates on a different level because it's all-encompassing.

Most perfectionists have very limited scopes for their perfectionism; only in directing a movie, performing a musical concert, washing hands after touching a public door, writing a book, recording a video, etc. In my case, I'm a perfectionist in almost all domains and aspects of life.

Your particular brain is wired to search for problems and to seek out things that it doesn't deem to be perfect. That is who you're being and you will drive yourself crazy on account of that. You dismissed all the things I had to say to you in your previous post about how "your perfectionism" is making your suffer by calling them woo woo but here you go again, trying to control what already is the case. You have no choice but to keep looking for stuff to "fix" because thats the identity you have claimed. I AM A PERFECTIONIST.

Yes, it's natural and instinctive for me to see defects or faults in everything. I easily identify what can be improved, and many times I feel a burning desire to accomplish that improvement or perfection.

In my 'Perfectionism is Wrong and Cruel' thread, I explained why it is the case. But I feel the need to emphasize that perfectionism is also a very beautiful thing. It's crazy because they're all true, though seemingly contradictory.

I'll share a real story:

My parents, especially my father, are two of the most ignorant and egotistical humans ever. When I was a kid, I used to point out their humanshit (bullshit). There was a time when my father became extremely angry with me; he threw a dustpan and stones at me with a very harmful intention. When my right arm got hit a few times, the skin peeled off a bit, revealing the meat and blood underneath. I became traumatized as fuck! It's distressing for an adult to experience such shit, let alone for a very young boy.

I tend to detect faults in various forms and feel compelled to correct them. This has resulted in me being antagonized by my coworkers when I corrected their work or behavior. In my 20s, I always wondered why humans feel offended when their shortcomings or humanshit are pointed out or when they are shown a better way to do things. In my case, I feel grateful when somebody shows me a better way to do things. Why not? I just learned a better way.

It's only in my 30s when I finally understood why, and I felt very disappointed. I lost respect for normal humans, and I'm not interested in them. But, I still treat them well, not because they're good and respectable (they're full of humanshit), but because I'm good. That might sound pretentious or egotistical for me to say, but it is the case, and hence, I must say it.

My perfectionism has influenced my parents to become better humans, especially my mother. I never stopped pointing out their humanshit and showed them a better way to do things. I explained to my mother that the harmful and twisted ways they inflicted on me, especially when I was a young boy, caused extreme anxiety, depression, anger, and self-murder thoughts. I clarified that they needed to change their ways, or I would completely cut them off. Indeed, I did cut them off from my life a few times because they were unable to change. My perfectionism made it a clean break, with zero communication for years. 

But after many years, a miracle happened. My mother changed her behavior. For the first time ever, she confessed how ignorant and foolish she had been as a mother and asked for an apology. I began to notice her increased self-awareness. She also learned how to become a loving mother, and right now, I can even say she's one of the most loving mothers in the world. When I say it's a big miracle, it's not an exaggeration. It's accurate.

My father was a hopeless case, unfortunately. But at least he learned to properly behave in my presence. He knew I would inflict physical and mental-emotional pain on him if he displayed his twisted ways. He learned this via direct experience. In the last few weeks of his life, I was surprised he became an "angel". I couldn't believe my eyes. I took care of him when he was sick and dying. I was able to do it because of years of strict and "perfect" self-therapy, enabling me to forgive him for his big sins. So, perhaps, my perfectionism changed him, though it was too late.

I've just demonstrated a few ways perfectionism can make things better and create beautiful results. In fact, my own self-transformation is a result of my perfectionism. That's why it's very difficult and even feels impossible for me to release. But as the old saying goes, 'What gets you here doesn't necessarily get you there.' It's time for me to transcend perfectionism. Much easier said than done, but it must be done; hence I'll go for it. :D 

You will not understand what I'm saying unless you drop the personhood and thinking there is a person there doing anything. There is none. It's just a program until you wake up to your true identity as Awareness,

I awakened to no-self many years ago. But that was a different version of the no-self awakening being talked about in this forum.

But I want to say you can't live a very good life via wearing a no-self lens all the time. It's useful for some situations. But in most situations, embracing, loving, and transcending yourself (the ego) accomplishes better results, materially and even spiritually.

4 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

You don't have to respond to this and you don't have to adhere, because I expect you to rebut and carry on with your perspectives and personal beliefs.

I'm busy as fuck, girl. I'm not supposed to spend time replying to my threads. But there's some sense in your post and I appreciate the effort; I feel compelled to reply to you.

1 hour ago, Epikur said:

English has a lot of vocabulary  because of the latin and germanic past.

Fun fact: Arabic language seems to have the most vocabulary. Over 1 million it is estimated. 

:o So, Arabic is a strong contender for the craziest language in the world?

But I've heard Arabic is known for its accuracy and consistency. If that's true, then English still holds the throne. xD 

When trading you are not generating, materializing, creating etc any value. You earning it, because you invested... because you invested it allowed the company to generate, materialize, earn, etc. It's created in reality through the operations of the businesses, or the changing situations of the stock market. 

None of those words describe the same thing. They are similar, but they are not the same. 

If you also ask chatgpt for the definitions of those words you would see they are not the same, and why they are not used in certain contexts, or when discussing certain things. You might as well define the words as well as how they are used in sentences. 

It seems like you have a particular aspect that those words share, and have focused on it, while disregarding the actually meaning of those words and their contexts.

Of course you could say generated, obtained, materialized, accomplished, realized, secured, attained, etc... because that is sort of true... But, not so much in the context of how we speak about it in business, english as a culture. English is very contextually sensitive. Each of those words are similar but they are not the same. You can say those words but they each carry varyingly subtle different contexts to them. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@jimwellthanks for your reply. I do understand what you're saying and I see your pov's. Without getting into a long debate about this perfectionism stuff and going back and forth, I just wanted to share something in this video that I came across today. (you can watch the whole thing if you like as it's a very powerful video). I'm not sure how to embed the particular part I would like for you to hear but I'll just say it's between the 5:00 marker (with the most important part starting at the 5:40 mark. I will leave it up to you to finish watching up to whatever part you stop at. 

When I heard him say that at the 5:40 mark, I immediately thought about the conversations we've had in the past and, I never got this knowledge from him as this is the 1st time watching his videos. A lot of times I may repeat stuff from my head, not knowing where I got the information from and then I'll hear it again from somewhere else as if I was being channeled (no kidding). Shit just comes through me. So when you mention Advaita to me, I only heard the name before but never really knew what the teachings was until I search it or hear someone mentioning the connection with a particular teaching. 

As far as when I say there's no person there, i'm not even saying "no self" and going into repetitious "no self" ideology. What I meant was the same reason why addictions are so hard to quit is because it's a program running and we are operating from programs and conditionings, And in order to change, most of the time we have to change the program. 

Anyway, take from this video what you like and discard the rest or not at all. Thought I'd just share it with you.

Edited by Princess Arabia

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

On 01/02/2024 at 9:07 PM, jimwell said:

This is not the cause of my perfectionism; it's one of the manifestations. My perfectionism operates on a different level because it's all-encompassing.

Most perfectionists have very limited scopes for their perfectionism; only in directing a movie, performing a musical concert, washing hands after touching a public door, writing a book, recording a video, etc. In my case, I'm a perfectionist in almost all domains and aspects of life.

Yes, it's natural and instinctive for me to see defects or faults in everything. I easily identify what can be improved, and many times I feel a burning desire to accomplish that improvement or perfection.

In my 'Perfectionism is Wrong and Cruel' thread, I explained why it is the case. But I feel the need to emphasize that perfectionism is also a very beautiful thing. It's crazy because they're all true, though seemingly contradictory.

I'll share a real story:

My parents, especially my father, are two of the most ignorant and egotistical humans ever. When I was a kid, I used to point out their humanshit (bullshit). There was a time when my father became extremely angry with me; he threw a dustpan and stones at me with a very harmful intention. When my right arm got hit a few times, the skin peeled off a bit, revealing the meat and blood underneath. I became traumatized as fuck! It's distressing for an adult to experience such shit, let alone for a very young boy.

I tend to detect faults in various forms and feel compelled to correct them. This has resulted in me being antagonized by my coworkers when I corrected their work or behavior. In my 20s, I always wondered why humans feel offended when their shortcomings or humanshit are pointed out or when they are shown a better way to do things. In my case, I feel grateful when somebody shows me a better way to do things. Why not? I just learned a better way.

It's only in my 30s when I finally understood why, and I felt very disappointed. I lost respect for normal humans, and I'm not interested in them. But, I still treat them well, not because they're good and respectable (they're full of humanshit), but because I'm good. That might sound pretentious or egotistical for me to say, but it is the case, and hence, I must say it.

My perfectionism has influenced my parents to become better humans, especially my mother. I never stopped pointing out their humanshit and showed them a better way to do things. I explained to my mother that the harmful and twisted ways they inflicted on me, especially when I was a young boy, caused extreme anxiety, depression, anger, and self-murder thoughts. I clarified that they needed to change their ways, or I would completely cut them off. Indeed, I did cut them off from my life a few times because they were unable to change. My perfectionism made it a clean break, with zero communication for years. 

But after many years, a miracle happened. My mother changed her behavior. For the first time ever, she confessed how ignorant and foolish she had been as a mother and asked for an apology. I began to notice her increased self-awareness. She also learned how to become a loving mother, and right now, I can even say she's one of the most loving mothers in the world. When I say it's a big miracle, it's not an exaggeration. It's accurate.

My father was a hopeless case, unfortunately. But at least he learned to properly behave in my presence. He knew I would inflict physical and mental-emotional pain on him if he displayed his twisted ways. He learned this via direct experience. In the last few weeks of his life, I was surprised he became an "angel". I couldn't believe my eyes. I took care of him when he was sick and dying. I was able to do it because of years of strict and "perfect" self-therapy, enabling me to forgive him for his big sins. So, perhaps, my perfectionism changed him, though it was too late.

I've just demonstrated a few ways perfectionism can make things better and create beautiful results. In fact, my own self-transformation is a result of my perfectionism. That's why it's very difficult and even feels impossible for me to release. But as the old saying goes, 'What gets you here doesn't necessarily get you there.' It's time for me to transcend perfectionism. Much easier said than done, but it must be done; hence I'll go for it. :D 

I awakened to no-self many years ago. But that was a different version of the no-self awakening being talked about in this forum.

But I want to say you can't live a very good life via wearing a no-self lens all the time. It's useful for some situations. But in most situations, embracing, loving, and transcending yourself (the ego) accomplishes better results, materially and even spiritually.

I'm busy as fuck, girl. I'm not supposed to spend time replying to my threads. But there's some sense in your post and I appreciate the effort; I feel compelled to reply to you.

:o So, Arabic is a strong contender for the craziest language in the world?

But I've heard Arabic is known for its accuracy and consistency. If that's true, then English still holds the throne. xD 

If perfectionism is serving you this is perfect. If you want something "done" or "accomplished" or "realized" for exemple a house, you must have a good eye for detail, other wise your house will need repairment very soon. The same with health, if you be to loose with your body you will get sick very often and it will cut other possibilities in life. Perfectionism is only a problem if if make you stuck. 

About health I give the example of guys like Tim Ferris and Ben Greenfield. The guys go deep in the research and testing. This take a good amount of focus and consistency. 

Overall, a leanguage is never death, is a mophic system where new words comes to substitute old ones, there is old english books that not even english people could read with ease, there is summerian gliphs that make no sense and no use today. 

Is you can create a lean dictonary with the essential words free from all the needeless variations I would be the first to buy it. Sometimes many words are just noise. Whay we want is clarity and not more jargons. 

English is a wild language. It's ambiguity is it's beauty. You can craft poetic lines with English which might not be possible with Chinese. 

Not only can you use many words to describe one thing, but one word can have many meanings depending upon the context. For example the word "set" have 180 different meanings depending upon the context.

So English leaves a lot to the context to decipher the meaning of it's content. I think it's thought provoking and beautiful.

I also like Sanskrit and Chinese. Should learn them one day. Language by itself is a mysterious thing. 

Edited by Bobby_2021

Think of all the lyrics you can write tho.

The words mean similar things but have different power to them.

Earned signifies you went out and did it

Generated signifies you made something that made the money for you

So in stocks yes you did earn the money by putting it in there then you generated it by doing nothing and collecting the money.

Edited by Hojo

On 01/02/2024 at 3:11 PM, jimwell said:

I've been using, learning, teaching, and dissecting the English language for more than a decade. As a non-native speaker of the language, I can easily detect the "faults" and needless complexities. A few years ago, I created and used my own English. I neglected the "craziness" and "faults" native speakers often use and commit. As a result, my English might have sounded weird or broken to native speakers or typical English teachers and learners. But perhaps, my English sounded cool and unique to some.

But recently, I combined my English with the "usual" English because, in the end, English is a medium of communication. It's not about being sensible or correct, but rather a way to express and understand each other. Unfortunately, the usual English does the job.

Here's one of the many things I dislike about English. There are too many words to describe one thing. I prefer simplicity to needless complexities. The problem is more about needless complexities than nuance.

crazy enlgish1.png

crazy enlgish2.png

crazy english3.png

In that conversation alone, "generated", "obtained", "created", "produced", "acquired", "earned", "made", "realized", "secured", "attained", "materialized", "accomplished", and "achieved" are mentioned. That's 13 words to choose from to describe 1 thing. And there are even more but I have no time to list them all.

I simply need 1 action word to describe the idea that I profited 90 USD via stock trading. But for variety, 2 action words are better. Perhaps "earned" and "accomplished". To be more metaphorical or poetic, "materialized" and "manifested" can be added. There should only be 4 English words to describe what I wanted to communicate.

I love complexity. But I also love simplicity. In the future, I might revert to using my English again to express or honor my ideas and insights. That happens when I prioritize simplicity, correctness, consistency, and sense over "commonness", rules, and easy communication. Integrating "how it should be" and "being practical" is very difficult but must be done.     

We won't change our language to suit an outsider lool.

But in seriousness, all human languages have these quirks. The human brain isn't linear, and often many grammatical rules are just defined by literal kings and queens and past authorities.

In Spanish, it's common to use "ser" and "estar" to say "to be" in varying contexts. As a native English speaker, this seems odd to me. However, I accept it as it is. 

I must say I like our language as it is. We're not forcing others to learn it. As for perfectionism, yes improvement is good. Perfection is an unrealisable goal. there is also wisdom in accepting flaws and that not everything in life is or will be good. 

I think part of the beauty of English is how you can say the same thing in 50 different ways and yet each way will point to a slightly different facet of reality. 

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

Posted (edited)

English is a contextual language, which I think makes it easier to understand or be aware of relativism and to have a flexible mind. That is why, in my opinion—and this may offend some—evolved languages like English are superior to others, especially non- or less-evolved ones. However relativistic languages are, they create your reality in different ways.

Edited by Understander

Posted (edited)

On 2024-02-01 at 7:11 AM, jimwell said:

Yes, that's generally how it goes. You've dealt with all the nuts and bolts of the English language which native speakers take for granted. Likewise, I find that I'm usually way more efficient and direct when I've written in other languages because it's far easier to ensure clarity and general grammatical correctness when you keep things simple. And it's easier to train yourself to write and think simply and directly than it is to account for the number of mistakes you could be making in a foreign language when you make things convoluted.

In English, I have the privilege to get away with being as sloppy as shit if I want to be, and still know if it literally means what I intend it to mean and generally falls within the range of acceptable usage and grammar. Though this is done on my own time and terms, obviously.

Yes. Communication is generally a compromise of sorts, or meeting people part way. Give or take.

There are varying connotations to specific words, many of which are highly context-sensitive. Generally speaking, most of the words you pull out of a thesaurus are not viable at all for specific use, if you consider both literal accuracy and style. Or you can use them and they'll be technically correct by the base dictionary definition of the word, but it will be off to anyone who has any sense of nuance in their native language.  Let's just say as an example, often I find words in the thesaurus that have about 30-50% viability in both accuracy and stylistic feel (if I were to quantify something which most often has a moderate degree of subjective interpretation), so I would never select them for specific uses.

There are often words that are very simple and broad in their connotations, and there are many words which are much more specific and nuanced in their use. Usually, it's harder to use these less direct and simple words well, and many people consider it stylistically superfluous anyway. So it's not like you're alone with preferring simple, direct language. Really, at a certain point, it's an individual judgment call about "good taste" and communicability.

This is the stuff that's often out of reach for non-native speakers unless you spend a ton of time studying and using words in specific contexts: for example, scientific language, editorial language, languages specific to one academic field or another. Word creatives such as novelists, especially the more experimental variety, often have a more novel approach to language and the context (the creative medium) and the reader is expected to adjust their expectations, to a degree. Just like how poetry has different rules and conventions that don't apply to plain English.

Some people write the way they do to keep outsiders out. It's a human thing.

Edited by eos_nyxia

On 11/03/2024 at 11:41 AM, Understander said:

English is a contextual language, which I think makes it easier to understand or be aware of relativism and to have a flexible mind. That is why, in my opinion—and this may offend some—evolved languages like English are superior to others, especially non- or less-evolved ones. However relativistic languages are, they create your reality in different ways.

linguistically speaking, no language is superior to another. 

Posted (edited)

On 01/02/2024 at 3:11 PM, jimwell said:

crazy enlgish1.png

crazy enlgish2.png

crazy english3.png

Achieve and create are two different things. To achieve means to gain something via work, such as a goal or a prize. To create means to make something. 

It's not a matter of complexity or simplicity. It's just these words aren't synonyms. 

The AI chat is right - they are not exact replacements for similar words. 

Edited by bebotalk

@eos_nyxia

Congratulations on making the best comment on this thread!

Are you a native speaker of English? 

I'll share my thoughts on your reply (and others') when I have time. 

@bebotalk

I can see you have made the most comments on this thread. I'll get you when the time comes. :D

Another thing I dislike about English is 1 word can mean dozens of things. The word "get" exemplifies that. No it's not cool, it's perverted.

To lessen any animosity from native speakers of English and English lovers in this forum, I feel the need to proclaim I love the language despite its shit. xD That was why I invested time and energy creating this thread. 

get me for what? I merely said that all languages have quirks. And that you're not obligated to learn any language. 

@jimwell

On 2024-02-01 at 3:11 PM, jimwell said:

crazy enlgish1.png

crazy enlgish2.png

crazy english3.png

Really? That's interesting, I have mostly the opposite of your views: I do love describing more colorfully nouns, verbs, situations and objects. Got to the point I've recently taken rap music and freestyles as a hobby, and love doing so many rhymes, and implementing literacy and poetic techniques!

Ekphrasis is also my favorite exercise to do:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjLtsusivyEAxUl9gIHHYrwAXwQFnoECCsQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEkphrasis&usg=AOvVaw327HIzNbsA50fc2_XOFPdc&opi=89978449