blankisomeone

Is owning an iPhone ethical?

23 posts in this topic

I need a new phone. Should I stick with apple or should I switch to another brand to save my soul?

Edited by blankisomeone

19 minutes ago, Shodburrito said:

lol

I know 🤣🤣🤣

Bad company and bad products. Apple has proven time and time again their priority is not the quality or consumers, just profit. Do yourself a favour.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Sorry, but this is something you don't see everyday 😀😃😄😁😆

How good you must be. Very sweet. I love you. 

Is breathing air ethical? If Apple could invent air and charge it to you they would call it iBreathe.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

In two years they’ll also reveal a revolutionary new product: iBreathe Air

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

7 hours ago, Osaid said:

Bad company and bad products. Apple has proven time and time again their priority is not the quality or consumers, just profit. Do yourself a favour.

Ethically a terrible company yea, but their products are not bad. Quality wise they are pretty top notch. There are iPhone 5’s or older out in the world which still work reasonably well. Any Android phone from that long ago would be broken or unusable.

And I like, maybe even prefer, Android, it’s not like I’m a fanboy or anything.

Edited by something_else

28 minutes ago, something_else said:

There are iPhone 5’s or older out in the world which still work reasonably well. Any Android phone from that long ago would be broken or unusable.

Isn't it the other way around? Apple literally purposefully slowed down their software through their updates and got in massive shit for being exposed for it.

I had a Samsung S5 for about 6 years straight, very durable.

I could never use Apple though, simply because none of their phones can even support an LDAC bluetooth codec or any hi-res codec in general, among other audio effects.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Don't know what "ethical" mean :) 

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

4 minutes ago, Osaid said:

Isn't it the other way around? Apple literally purposefully slowed down their software through their updates and got in massive shit for being exposed for it.

This was done to preserve battery on older devices because modern iOS versions naturally used more CPU, and were burning through the smaller older batteries super quick.

Better to have a slower device with passable battery than a faster device which runs out in an hour or two.

I think the feature is also toggleable now too.

As for not supporting stuff, yea, that’s very annoying. It’s designed to keep you in their ecosystem and use their products, which is ethically bad. But as long as you stay in the Apple ecosystem one of their top priorities is to give you as smooth and high quality an experience as possible.

16 minutes ago, something_else said:

Better to have a slower device with passable battery than a faster device which runs out in an hour or two.

I am aware of the statement they made, I believe you are repeating it here. So their solution to the design flaw was to slow it down through the update, which no other phone has to do.

I think the feature is also toggleable now too.

How innovative.

It’s designed to keep you in their ecosystem and use their products, which is ethically bad.

Not just ethically bad, practically bad. They gatekeep and overprice repairs too.

But as long as you stay in the Apple ecosystem one of their top priorities is to give you as smooth and high quality an experience as possible.

Smooth and overpriced.

Edited by Osaid

2 hours ago, Yimpa said:

In two years they’ll also reveal a revolutionary new product: iBreathe Air

🙂 i will be inline for iBreathe Air, i am sure their first product is untested. 

I am not even kidding. I will not use apple products and not even windows unless I am absolutely forced to.

These products are a taint in the civilization of mankind. Although Apple products are great, you cannot use them and also advocate for the dismantling of capitalism.

Even Windows abuses their monopoly and msft is valued more than apple now. I would use these unless I am absolutely denied all other options. 

Use Linux. ♥️

Fight Climate Change. ♥️

Get a Light Phone

Get an Android so you can be nice and cozy with spyware, viruses and lack of privacy.  :x

11 hours ago, hoodrow trillson said:

Get an Android so you can be nice and cozy with spyware, viruses and lack of privacy.  :x

This is just apple marketing shit, never had problems with my android and nobody cares about my private info and in Europe there is something called privacy laws, maybe they sell you better adds and that's it.

Iphone is just overpriced opulent accessory, it is good but why? It is like buying a Lamborghini.

Edited by Alexop

The smart phone sector isn't very ethical in general, unfortunately. Apple may be worse than others but it is not like it is very high above the floor in terms of being ethical comparatively. It is better to just focus on what products you like the best and use them for as long as possible.

Apple is however very anti-consumer and blatantly so in addition to the ethics of making smartphones. Apple products are priced at a premium above what competitors price their products with similar levels of quality. In addition to all the proprietary stuff, I see little reason to even give Apple the light of day.

1 hour ago, Alexop said:

Iphone is just overpriced opulent accessory, it is good but why? It is like buying a Lamborghini.

Apparently their Macbooks are pretty good for writers, that would be the only exception.

But yeah, pretty much.