OBEler

The older you get the more stupid you are

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ishanga said:

Wasting Your time on social media, scrolling pics and short vids, turning 30 and still not experiencing for real what is what, that is low brain functionality in my book...by the time I was 30 I had already bought my own car, or two of them, taught Martial Arts for many years, travelled a bit, had a few relationships, broken heart and so forth, today the young ones are reading about it and watching it..

No it's just an addictive behavior which may decrease your IQ but still a young man will probably highly outgrown an old man in every cognitive task on average.

And please don't compare your 30s with the now 30s that's another topic. I compare young vs old here. Old men may have no stupid behavior but they have on average lower intelligence compared to young people and that's what I address here.

This is so backwards. 25 year olds are morons. There's just not enough life experience there.

Only by around age 40 will you reach a level of serious maturity and intelligence. Assuming you worked hard towards it all those years.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This is so backwards. 25 year olds are morons. There's just not enough life experience there.

Only by around age 40 will you reach a level of serious maturity and intelligence. Assuming you worked hard towards it all those years.

I agree with this. 

I was a moron at 25, and I see morons at all ages. I think it takes a lot of work and years of experience. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Leo Gura Yeah you speak about a much broader intelligence. 

As a software developer I am focusing more on intelligence of learning new things, your working memory or also called fluid intelligence.

And this sadly reduces the older you get.and by the time of 60 you can clearly see that in many people 

For example I work as a software developer and the people over 60 have a hard time learning new technology 

Edited by OBEler

I think it's because you expect them to be wiser than you due to their age, and when this expectation isn't met, you feel disappointed, which makes them appear more foolish than younger people.

In human history, older people are usually considered the ones with wisdom, while young people are deemed foolish and lacking it.

But I agree that many older people today may appear foolish for their age.

I believe it's because they grew up in this society and have adopted many negative aspects of stage blue and orange, combined with poor nutrition and habits.

I believe that a more spiritual path is the answer. I've noticed that older people interested in spirituality are an asset to their surroundings and humanity due to the spiritual wisdom they possess combined with their life experience.

I listened to Eckhart Tolle yesterday and caught myself thinking that it's refreshing and valuable, in our culture that admires youth and individualism, to listen to someone older and wiser than oneself and not be automatically dismissive of him because he is older. 

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

1 hour ago, OBEler said:

No it's just an addictive behavior which may decrease your IQ but still a young man will probably highly outgrown an old man in every cognitive task on average.

And please don't compare your 30s with the now 30s that's another topic. I compare young vs old here. Old men may have no stupid behavior but they have on average lower intelligence compared to young people and that's what I address here.

Once again we are changing or having specific definitions for words, maybe that is a new generation thing, they think they can just redine words as they please and still have ppl understand what they have to say, lol... Yes today's gen may have more knowledge of wordly things, or what someone in another culture is doing for their Bdays compared to ours, but this is not intelligence, intelligence is using Your skills and potential to the highest point, Being Conscious not Unconscious (scrolling for hrs on end). 

Remember the generation just before me (late 60's bdate) was in wars, for years on end, ww2, vietnam, other conflicts, its only since 9/11 that the wars started up again big time, at least that is how I see it, so they didn't have the time (the avg person) to intellectualize as much as we do today, which is way too much...Anyways we see it differently, I see these last couple of generations slipping in many areas...their all addicted to pot too, daily users and it dulls their senses...And as Leo said, not enough life experience plays allot into it..

Edited by Ishanga

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

@Lila9 no I dont expect them to be wiser. I see that they struggle with learning new things compared to younger people. In tech field sector this becomes more easy to see than in other fields maybe.

Edited by OBEler

@Ishanga in Germany no one of the 60 years old people were at war and most of them have still low intelligence. They had time enough to intellectualize.But maybe they had not much easy access like our generation 

I think this is a biological thing. The brain ages like every organ and the question just is how to help to slow down the process a bit.

Edited by OBEler

1 minute ago, OBEler said:

@Ishanga in Germany no one of the 60 years old people were at war and most of them have still low intelligence. They had time enough to intellectualize.But maybe they had not much easy access like our generation 

I think this is a biological thing. The brain ages like every organ and the question just is how to help to slow down the process a bit.

For sure it happens, I've seen it in some. Like others have said Brain exercises are good, I did martial arts one that trains both sides of the upper body equally and uses physical structures and mechanics to a high degree, allowing smaller persons to use their natural weight and the ground to get power more so compared to other arts that rely on swinging and torquing to get power in strikes, as a teacher of it I had to study it too indepth, so this was sort of a brain exercise for me, others can do tai chi, puzzles, study something complex, make the brain work a bit and like everything else it will maintain a sense of vitality and aliveness...

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

did you consider yourself to be a moron at 25

8 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Kids these days will never truly understand how difficult video games were back in the day.

They don't even play themselves they watch people do it in live because they are too lazy ! Can you imagine that ??

nowhere in the bio  @VahnAeris 

4 hours ago, Francis777 said:

did you consider yourself to be a moron at 25

Part of being a moron is considering yourself to not be one.

;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

24 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Part of being a moron is considering yourself to not be one.

;)

:D

Edited by Francis777

Stupid in the sense of not being able to learn new things? Sure.

But wisdom? Thats another thing.

It seems like a tradeoff. You lose intellectual/mental capacity, but if you had a wide variety of life experiences, contemplated and studied top tier info, the wisdom you'll have will be worth it, even if you are a bit slower.

I don't want to be a slow thinker in my 60s. 

Wisdom? Nah..I feel wisdom correlates with intelligence, too. I met 60 years old peope with wisdom like an 8 years old boy. They were also slow in their head.

Let's face the truth, You are probably stupid and you lack wisdom when you enter the 60s.

@all over 60 years old people here - don't be offended. We all will be one day 60 and will be the same slow moron like you are. And of course there are exceptions.

Edited by OBEler

41 minutes ago, OBEler said:

Wisdom? Nah..I feel wisdom correlates with intelligence, too. I met 60 years old peope with wisdom like an 8 years old boy. They were also slow in their head.

Let's face the truth, You are probably stupid and you lack wisdom when you enter the 60s.

@all over 60 years old people here - don't be offended. We all will be one day 60 and will be the same slow moron like you are. And of course there are exceptions.

None sense. You don’t lose wisdom simply by aging. 

Wisdom is the result of cultivation and refinement over many years. 

I know some very smart, active and creative people over the age of 60. 

It’s gross to me you called them dumb. 

There are dumb old people, in fact most of them probably. But, that is due to how they chose to live their lives largely, beyond an cognitive decline that would happen even to the most curious, healthy, active, life long learners.

There is no one size fits all for Wisdom. My parents may not be was “smart” as me in some ways but they are wise. 

Intelligence is also sort of a nuanced term. 

You will have some form of cognitive change/ decline as you age. However, if you pursue life long learning and keep your brain, body and nervous system healthy you should be fine.

Your youth is very valuable. However, don’t let aging be a limiting belief. 

Some of the best spiritual books I’ve read were written by men who didn’t start writing at all until 55. 

Some of the best current writers on mental health, addiction, spirituality, self help, etc are writing these master pieces over the age of 60. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

8 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

None sense. You don’t lose wisdom simply by aging. 

Wisdom is the result of cultivation and refinement over many years. 

I know some very smart, active and creative people over the age of 60. 

It’s gross to me you called them dumb. 

There are dumb old people, in fact most of them probably. But, that is due to how they chose to live their lives largely, beyond an cognitive decline that would happen even to the most curious, healthy, active, life long learners.

There is no one size fits all for Wisdom. My parents may not be was “smart” as me in some ways but they are wise. 

Intelligence is also sort of a nuanced term. 

You will have some form of cognitive change/ decline as you age. However, if you pursue life long learning and keep your brain, body and nervous system healthy you should be fine.

Your youth is very valuable. However, don’t let aging be a limiting belief. 

Some of the best spiritual books I’ve read were written by men who didn’t start writing at all until 55. 

Some of the best current writers on mental health, addiction, spirituality, self help, etc are writing these master pieces over the age of 60. 

That's correct it should be not seen as a limit at all and there are many good examples of very intelligent and wise people over 60.

But if you look at the average man on the street it's a bit sad to watch how they barely use their brain anymore.

"It’s gross to me you called them dumb."

I used the word stupid because in my observation it is a big decline. If I use softer words like cognitive decline this would not express how drastically I see the decline in cognitive function.

@OBEler I Will contemplate it more. 

I see plenty of dumb people who are young, and plenty old.

Wise people are rare.

◭"89"

2 hours ago, OBEler said:

Practice it here. Listen to everyone's point of view and be willing to integrate them or change your own.

2 hours ago, OBEler said:

When I read this, it sounds like you have fixed beliefs, which will crystalize in the mind, causing what you say you don't want. (Many people cause what they say they don't want most).

Inside their own bodies, people have a great deal of influence over what happens. Sure age brings some pitfalls, you'll get injured more and the injuries will take longer to heal for example. You'll pick up permanent problems, that's age. There is a reason though you can see an 80-year-old weightlifter and an 80-year-old that can barely function, beyond just happenstance, or random chance. That's diet, exercise, air quality, stress. keeping your mind sharp, and being willing to integrate or accept new ideas and ways of thinking or operating.

I fully get the perspective that the way I think of the world in its entirety becomes more outdated the older I get. Part of the macro are the people I used to connect to, die. The more of these connections and perspectives I lose, the more my reality is harder to connect with others. Then I can come to a forum like this and constantly be forced to challenge or update my mind. 

Its the willingness and ability to do so that will create or not create the conditions you describe. (And diet, exercise, engagement with new perspectives etc).

Edited by BlueOak