OBEler

The older you get the more stupid you are

65 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

It bound to happen, as long as I live that long, don't have any strange diseases etc... my life long learning, life purpose and healthy habits I think will pay positive dividends. I am also letting go of my youthful identity and embracing I am an old bastard.

Consider that strange diseases can mature and wise you rapidly. Many great teachers I’ve had the privilege to be in the presence with shared many stories of all the challenges that they’ve personally had to face. And they were all very strange, but certainly not strangers :)

Edited by Yimpa

“Every sunrise is an invitation to brighten the world with your own unique light.“ - ChatGPT

@Yimpa Yeah, I’m learning life is sort of this weird thing 

I’m focused on honour the life I have, no the life I wish I had. 

Which, is all you can really do. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

1 hour ago, BlueOak said:

@OBEler

You are looking at your own limitation of connecting with that generation, culture, or group of people. Do some self reflection.

Your perspective is brilliant, dumb, intricate, shallow, correct, incorrect, beautiful, and hideous. Its everything and so is everyone elses, it's infinity viewed any way you like. There is always someone out there, of any age who can be insightful, able, intelligent, charming, skilled, anything or the opposite of these qualities.

Its very limiting to consider people dumb because they reason differently to you, or don't choose a certain device/technology to address a problem, or even that they don't address the problem you see at all. They are in a different mind, a different culture, a different era, religion, friend group, valueset, whatever. Dismissing a generation like this, is going to cut you off from them, it's going to naturally distance you from what is a link in a chain. It is more beneficial to be able to hear them, through the filter of age, or anything else in the way like your hatred of long words! They still shape reality here just like you do.

The fact your education, or experience gave you some insight a group of people might be lacking, is a function of our continued evolution in our school systems or culture, it is one teacher from the previous generation teaching the next. It does not make someone else let alone an entire generation moronic. They had different experiences that they observed shaping their reality. 

You have a lot of arrogance, take it from someone who was very arrogant, who thought themselves in their 20's 'better' or at least more intelligent than those around him. Life is going to humble you over and over until you lose it. Until you realise you are no better than any previous generation, you are just different. My 20's for me and my friends were spent maturing, and we all had a lot to learn about ourselves, life, and how to treat others. I'd take an old me over a young me any day, what you'll hear most people say is they wish they had the youth AND the experience.

You have some valid points, especially for reason differently. From a higher perspective it can be highly intelligent not to engage in new things. You loose resources the older you get and the body will maintain everything with the highest intelligence possible. From the outside this can look stupid if an old man has not the power to learn new things. But the body knows better what's the priority. And yes people from the 60s had different experiences this needs to get considered. They did not grew up with every year new technological devices.

I can see how people see me as arrogant calling a group of people stupid. But I wanted to address my observation as directly as I can. I will be also old one day so I don't see me as better just because I am younger. We can call younger people retarded too but that would be another topic.

I work in a field where high intelligence is directly correlated to work performance. And most of the older people cannot compete in this field. I also see that many older people have serious issues in other fields too. It all is mainly caused by an aging brain in my opinion. But you named some other good points which may have a big influence.

There are many intelligences but I talk here about the intelligence of fluid intelligence/working memory. This will decline by age for most people. This is a scientific fact right now. Through my observation it's a radical decline but that can be questioned.

Edited by OBEler

32 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Yeah, I’m learning life is sort of this weird thing 

I’m focused on honour the life I have, no the life I wish I had. 

Oh yeah, that’s a tough one. Reminds me of how I relate to my parents. My parents want me to be a certain way and I resist by saying that things are perfect just the way they are now. Nobody wins with this mentality in the long-run.

We’re now starting to learn from each other and have more open communications, rather than constantly resisting each others’ radically different worldviews and experiences.

I need to humble myself by realizing that deep spiritual insights and experiences will not automagically solve my human desires such as developing healthy relationships and finances. And they need to understand that I am not the way society and culture labeled me to be (thus, they still believe that I would be better as soon I achieve  x, y, and z)

In the words of a wise teacher, “We don’t have to agree with each other to respect each other.”

:x

Edited by Yimpa

“Every sunrise is an invitation to brighten the world with your own unique light.“ - ChatGPT

@OBEler

I understand. My biases are being a Xennial and inbetween two generations, with the natural benefit of connecting them just by being present. So naturally I reason from that perspective, seeing people enter a brand new reality with technology and learning it was my life. Also that i've done a lot of programming for example, which can be creative rather than purely intellectual. You can be a methodical programmer, but the geniuses of that field were more like creating art. Those programmers could do the work of a team, and still be more efficient in their code. The same with creative writing, I've written with older people and it didn't impede their creativity, perhaps only their output.

So we see different extremes. I don't know your field, but you see the drop off in high performance like a coach would perhaps on the sportsfield at the highest levels. Whereas reality gets along just fine. In reality experience, a good partner/friends, and the willingness to take care of yourself matters a lot. From a kid I never intended in my life to be someone who can't change his mind, and I prefer to be challenged or enriched with insight, so for me i'll be bedridden or dead before being too rigid takes hold of me. Even if I won't be doing calculus in my 90s.

Edited by BlueOak