Vido

How to remove shorts from Mobile (Android)

39 posts in this topic

You can download ReVanced, which is an moded YT app with no ads. In the setting, you have option to remove the short shelves. 

I have been done this and it works great.

I don't know about ios, you have to try it on your own

Posted (edited)

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Interesting, I’m sceptical of its safety 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

feel free to share here if it's legit

There was an a called YouTube Vanced before that allowed you to play videos with your screen off. Eventually it just turned to sh*t with endless ads and  it got taken down for legal issues at least the last time I checked

Cool little imagination experiment for y'all:

What would an OS look like optimized and designed for personal development? 

I find the answer to be so far from what we've currently got as default it's mind boggling 

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

Not on iPhone. Man, YouTube should let you turn off shorts

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

Coincidentally and independent of Leo's blog post, I recently decided to stop watching clip compilations. There is this one channel (UnusualVideos) that has just the most insanely good clips, I have to rewind them 3-4 times to believe my own eyes. It's just one after another. It never stops. It's hard to imagine how he manages to find all of them.

Anyways, I don't know if it's the teachings of the likes of John Vervaeke or the entire "high consciousness" intellectual sphere (they all seem to tie back to either Curt Jaimungal or Game B) that I've been exposing myself to that has caused this development in me, but I've gotten increasingly aware of how meaningless and mentally toxic it is to watch hundreds of 7-second clips back-to-back like this, not just intellectually, but on an embodied level (I "feel" the phenomena as its happening).

About the intellectual understanding though, the things that are meaningful and nourish your soul can be boiled down to four concepts: 1. purpose (are you aimed towards a goal?), 2. coherence (do things fit together and make sense?), 3. flow (do you engage in activities for their own sake, i.e. intrinsic enjoyment or value?), 4. mattering (are you a part of something larger than yourself?). Now, clip compilations, TikTok, Instagram reels, YouTube Shorts; all these sites that employ short clips and a scrolling function, are sorrowly lacking in all except one of these points:

1. It does not contain purpose. It's not working towards anything. Clear and simple.

2. It does not involve coherence in any significant sense. You jump from one clip to the next where there is generally no sense of continuity or development of narrative, theme or context. It's just pure nihilistic postmodernism and hedonism put into a technological device.

3. It does contain flow (intrinsic enjoyment), but so does eating ice cream, jerking off and taking drugs. It's not a high bar to pass. It's the only thing it has going for it.

4. It does not matter in any significant sense. It does not make you feel like you're a part of something larger than yourself. It's just you sitting and scrolling. Of course, there is a comment section under each clip, but these also run into the problem of a lack of coherence. The feeling of belonging to these "communities" is as short-lasting as the clip itself. You don't really feel like you belong to these communities. It's more like you're there as a visitor. There are no deeply felt relationships, no sense of productive contribution, sacrifice or reciprocity.

And of course, from a more conventional cognitive perspective, the short clips zap your attention span, the highly stimulating and sensational nature of the clips (often containing seduction, violence, surprise, disgust) numbs you to the experience of everyday life, and you just know you're wasting your time and you're itching to get yourself out of the loop, but it's hard because it's addictive.

All in all, it's literally consuming garbage. It's all the negative tropes of TV zombies that your parents warned you about come to life, times ten. Anyways, so that is why I think I got so turned off by clip compilations.

Now, do you want to see something which I recently learned and which I did find very meaningful? Here it is: 

Cosmogeny (astrophysical evolution), e.g. gas clouds to stars, to planets, to moons.
->
Phylogeny (biological evolution), e.g. fish to amphibian, to reptile, to mammal.
->
Ontogeny (individual development), e.g. child to adolescent, to young adult, to mature adult.
->
Microgeny (moment to moment), e.g. seeing the raw visual data of an apple, to experiencing arousal, to forming some mental concept about it ("apple", "edible"), to thinking about the apple ("am I hungry?"), to planning to eat the apple, to executing that plan, etc.

See how they all are nested into each other like holons? That's coherence right there. See how they matter to you in terms of understanding yourself as a part of the universe, as a life form, as a human, as a being moment to moment? That's mattering right there. See how fun it is to understand these deep interpenetrating relationships between different levels of reality? That's flow, intrinsic enjoyment. Now, what purpose does it have? Maybe that is more up to you. For me, the purpose is to further my understanding, which then actually feeds into all these aspects of meaning like I've just demonstrated. So it wraps around itself quite nicely.

This "wrapping around itself" is what I think I find so fascinating about particularly John Vervaeke's work. By talking about meaning; by explicating the structure of meaning (coherence), by sharing it with others (mattering), by enjoying the process of understanding meaning (flow), by making the purpose the furthering of understanding itself; you're doing the very thing you're talking about, as you're talking about it, as you're doing it, and arguably to the greatest degree (because it feeds on itself; it's a positive feedback loop). It's absolutely fascinating.

By the way, I learned about this yesterday when listening to a curious conversation between Ken Wilber and Lana Wachowski, one of the Wachowski sisters who created The Matrix Trilogy. That conversation itself also has a definite "wrapping around itself" going on (I mean, these are high conscousness people; who would've thought that the creators behind The Matrix are even deeper than what the movie suggests? :D).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

You don’t need this app. You can just turn off your watch history and it will turn off your shorts. It works wonders.

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

It sucks and yet I’d argue YouTube shorts is the least toxic of all short content platforms, Instagram doesn’t even filter their comments, you can expect the most disgusting and derogatory comments to always be on top without exceptions. I think it’s better to use these apps in the browser of your mobile search engine instead of using the app, Instagram is slower in the browser which makes it less convenient to scroll.

There are paid safari extensions that promise to eliminate shorts if you use YouTube in your browser but they don’t actually work. But I found one that works, I don’t know for how long It’s going to work however. https://apps.apple.com/hr/app/shorts-blocker-for-youtube/id6451330524

Picture from my device, as for feed videos I have them blocked for almost 4 years now on all my devices

IMG_3493.png

IMG_3494.png

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Coincidentally and independent of Leo's blog post, I recently decided to stop watching clip compilations. There is this one channel (UnusualVideos) that has just the most insanely good clips, I have to rewind them 3-4 times to believe my own eyes. It's just one after another. It never stops. It's hard to imagine how he manages to find all of them.

Anyways, I don't know if it's the teachings of the likes of John Vervaeke or the entire "high consciousness" intellectual sphere (they all seem to tie back to either Curt Jaimungal or Game B) that I've been exposing myself to that has caused this development in me, but I've gotten increasingly aware of how meaningless and mentally toxic it is to watch hundreds of 7-second clips back-to-back like this, not just intellectually, but on an embodied level (I "feel" the phenomena as its happening).

About the intellectual understanding though, the things that are meaningful and nourish your soul can be boiled down to four concepts: 1. purpose (are you aimed towards a goal?), 2. coherence (do things fit together and make sense?), 3. flow (do you engage in activities for their own sake, i.e. intrinsic enjoyment or value?), 4. mattering (are you a part of something larger than yourself?). Now, clip compilations, TikTok, Instagram reels, YouTube Shorts; all these sites that employ short clips and a scrolling function, are sorrowly lacking in all except one of these points:

1. It does not contain purpose. It's not working towards anything. Clear and simple.

2. It does not involve coherence in any significant sense. You jump from one clip to the next where there is generally no sense of continuity or development of narrative, theme or context. It's just pure nihilistic postmodernism put into a technological device.

3. It does contain flow (intrinsic enjoyment), but so does eating ice cream, jerking off and taking drugs. It's not a high bar to pass. It's the only thing it has going for it.

4. It does not matter in any significant sense. It does not make you feel like you're a part of something larger than yourself. It's just you sitting and scrolling. Of course, there is a comment section under each clip, but these also run into the problem of a lack of coherence. The feeling of belonging to these "communities" is as short-lasting as the clip itself. You don't really feel like you belong to these communities. It's more like you're there as a visitor. There are no deeply felt relationships, no sense of productive contribution, sacrifice or reciprocity.

And of course, from a more conventional cognitive perspective, the short clips zap your attention span, the highly stimulating and sensational nature of the clips (often containing seduction, violence, surprise, disgust) numbs you to the experience of everyday life, and you just know you're wasting your time and you're itching to get yourself out of the loop, but it's hard because it's addictive.

All in all, it's literally consuming garbage. It's all the negative tropes of TV zombies that your parents warned you about come to life, times ten. Anyways, so that is why I think I got so turned off by clip compilations.

Now, do you want to see something which I recently learned and which I did find very meaningful? Here it is: 

Cosmogeny (astrophysical evolution), e.g. gas clouds to stars, to planets, to moons.
->
Phylogeny (biological evolution), e.g. fish to amphibian, to reptile, to mammal.
->
Ontogeny (individual development), e.g. child to adolescent, to young adult, to mature adult.
->
Microgeny (moment to moment), e.g. seeing the raw visual data of an apple, to experiencing arousal, to forming some mental concept about it ("apple", "edible"), to thinking about the apple ("am I hungry?"), to planning to eat the apple, to executing that plan, etc.

Ironically this post could be summed up in a quick paced tightly edited YT short 😬

Here is how to remove YouTube shorts on iOS:

Go into your YouTube app and there will be 4 YouTube shorts showing up on the homepage. Click on the 3 dots and click "not interested" - do this on all 4 of the shorts, so that all of them are gone.

When you refresh the page, the shorts will be gone. Even if you close out the app and open it again, the shorts will be gone.

Those ase so addicting, its like perfect escape when mind wants distractions.

I wasnt able to disable those on my phone, Vanced didnt work either. 

But the same problem also exists on Instagtam, I cant disable reels either. But I visit YouTube much more then Instagram so Shorts are bigger issue.

Posted (edited)

Tall people bias.

“Miss, I want all the shorts in my world disabled.”

“They’re people too, you tall bastard!”

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Posted (edited)

If you guys want to stop watching YouTube Shorts, then why don't you simply decide to stop watching YouTube Shorts? Why are you searching for plugins and apps which blocks it. You are in charge of these kinds of plugins and blocking apps - if they exist - and therefore you could cheat and disable them yourself whenever you feel like watching some Shorts? So what is the point?

If you don't want to eat ice cream, should you stop going to any restaurant that serves ice cream? Or do you need to etch a tattoo on your forehead saying "I don't eat ice creams. Don't give me any!"

Now, if you cannot control yourself watching YouTube Shorts -- then simply accept it you are addicted. You are going to do it anyway, sooner or later.

Edited by Navaneet

53 minutes ago, Navaneet said:

If you guys want to stop watching YouTube Shorts, then why don't you simply decide to stop watching YouTube Shorts? Why are you searching for plugins and apps which blocks it. You are in charge of these kinds of plugins and blocking apps - if they exist - and therefore you could cheat and disable them yourself whenever you feel like watching some Shorts? So what is the point?

If you don't want to eat ice cream, should you stop going to any restaurant that serves ice cream? Or do you need to etch a tattoo on your forehead saying "I don't eat ice creams. Don't give me any!"

Now, if you cannot control yourself watching YouTube Shorts -- then simply accept it you are addicted. You are going to do it anyway, sooner or later.

The issue is they put the shorts right in front of your face so it's tempting to click on them. It's like if you go to a restaurant and don't order the ice cream but the waiter comes and puts ice cream on your table right in front of you anyway. You are more likely to eat it because it's right there.

I found that once I disabled YouTube shorts, I stopped watching them completely. Out of sight, out of mind.

Seems like a crazy idea to disable shorts. I would instead do the complete opposite and start making them weekly. Both the short duration makes it an easy workload but they get a lot of reach. Afterwards you’ll also be able to analyze the shorts from a content maker perspective and not just an idle consumer. I learn so much every time I watch 3-4 shorts, some peoples communicative abilities are very impressive. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Navaneet said:

Ofc we all enjoy YT shorts. It's crazy entertaining. That's the problem. If you want to quit cigarettes it's better for you not to have any around rather than only " deciding not to smoke" and using your willpower consistently 

Also if you turn the YouTube app on your smartphone phone sometimes you literally are hit with a YT short out of nowhere in a pop-up fashion. Very sneaky.

So that's pretty intrusive to me

Imagine the tip of an ice cone being shoved in your mouth every time you pick up a dumbbell

Or the crazy frog theme shortly playing every time you close your times to meditate

Or having a spurt of ranch sauce squirted on your veggies every time you have them

Feel free to come up with your own analogies

Edited by mmKay

2 hours ago, LordFall said:

Seems like a crazy idea to disable shorts. I would instead do the complete opposite and start making them weekly. Both the short duration makes it an easy workload but they get a lot of reach. Afterwards you’ll also be able to analyze the shorts from a content maker perspective and not just an idle consumer. I learn so much every time I watch 3-4 shorts, some peoples communicative abilities are very impressive. 

The problem I have with shorts is how much time I waste and how much dopamine & chemicals they segragate in my brain, too much unnecesary stimulation. I don't use to watch them but from now on I do, with this not anymore hehe

👁CONSCIOUSNESS👁

☀️INFINITY_GOD🌞

🌎LOVE❤️                         💎TRUTH⚔️

9 minutes ago, Davino said:

The problem I have with shorts is how much time I waste and how much dopamine & chemicals they segragate in my brain, too much unnecesary stimulation. I don't use to watch them but from now on I do, with this not anymore hehe

If you turn on " no distraccion mode" on Android settings then YT will first you get a warning before allowing to open the YT and then it's automatically turned off in 5 minutes