Lifelover88

Does spirituality make you more sociopathic?

17 posts in this topic

Does the spiritual path make someone more of a sociopath? As we notice conscious and unconscious biases and oust them from our perception, do we become increasingly able to speak and conduct our selves in a manner conducive to compelling others to give us what we want, becoming a better liar, manipulator and conman? Is the deeper your love of fellow humans and animals, the deeper your potential for hatred? Do all of our emotions deepen with the spiritual path, including anger and hatred? Can someone provide some insight here. Thanks.

Yes, but there is often a pragmatic, "selfish" interest in still maintaining pro-social behavior.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Absolutely not lol.*

59 minutes ago, Lifelover88 said:

As we notice conscious and unconscious biases and oust them from our perception

Self is a bias. :)

*In the end, at least. You might have to go through periods of purification where You will intensely experience "lower" emotions like hatred and helplessness, but it will pass. This is often part of the process.

2 hours ago, Lifelover88 said:

Does the spiritual path make someone more of a sociopath? As we notice conscious and unconscious biases and oust them from our perception, do we become increasingly able to speak and conduct our selves in a manner conducive to compelling others to give us what we want, becoming a better liar, manipulator and conman? Is the deeper your love of fellow humans and animals, the deeper your potential for hatred? Do all of our emotions deepen with the spiritual path, including anger and hatred? Can someone provide some insight here. Thanks.

Spiritual Path has nothing to do with Your Emotions, Emotions come from Mind, You are not the Mind or Body. Body comes from Food/Earth, Mind from your 5 senses which are survival tools, Spirituality is about coming intouch with that aspect of You that is non physical in nature, so why would it bring You to a sociapathic path???

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Lifelover88 said:

Does the spiritual path make someone more of a sociopath?

Your spiritual path gradually opens you to the full(er) spectrum of experience, which includes light, dark, and everything in-between. It's like the palette of colors you have at your disposal to 'paint yourself and the world' becomes fuller. This wouldn't 'make you a sociopath' rather make you aware of sociopathic impulses churning around in your unconscious. 

Edited by rachMiel

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ... 

Posted (edited)

Proactive deception becomes highly uncomfortable from firstly an energetic perspective. There is an intuitive recognition that this is unhealthy (and a feeling that you are denying what is, which is yourself).

You could explain this by the fact that when you lie, you create a conflict in your mind. You have to simulate a reality where the lie is the truth, which of course conflicts with what you think is true. Also, you have to act like as if you believe the lie when you're telling it, which also conflicts with what you think is true. This state of conflict (neurosis, disorder, entropy) degrades the quality of your mental state, and because you become more sensitive to changes in your mental state as you engage in spirituality, you'll be increasingly compelled to avoid this.

More generally, if you start to lie a lot, over time, your mind will be so used to throwing out lies that you will literally have trouble judging lie from reality, which is scary. Besides, people will eventually find out that you're a liar, and your life will turn pretty sour pretty quickly. Essentially, lying is inherently toxic for your mind and also your life, and spirituality makes you more sensitive to the signals associated with this.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Posted (edited)

it's a danger yes, you now have the power to mess with people and put them under your spell

you know what they don't and you can lure them into your den

it means however you have not gone far enough to see that you and i and our interests are the same

i must take pain not to destabilize you and i must let you exercise your autonomy and sovereignty 

my highest awakening is that i came here to lead you to heaven

but that takes place wholly in my mind, has no words involved and you may be clueless what is going on

lower awakenings claim i must lead and you must follow

Edited by gettoefl

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Lifelover88 said:

Does the spiritual path make someone more of a sociopath?

When your desire is to open yourself, to give yourself to reality and be one with it, that is when you truly seek to share with other people. The problem is that the most normal thing that other people seek is to feed their narcissism, in one way or another, and this does not interest you in the slightest, so you discard a huge percentage of people, and this can seem like you are a bit of a sociopath

Edited by Breakingthewall

I dont know about spirituality in general,in fact i would say the it givest he opposite of sociopathy/psychopathy to people,but solipsism could induce sociopathic behaviour.

The more awakened you are, the fewer compulsions and more choices you have as far as behavior.

You can choose to be either self-seeking or to serve others.  "Manipulation" isn't good or bad.  You can manipulate people to free them from their psychological problems or to extract resources from them.  The choice is yours.

Normal people aren't sociopathic because they are held down by there feelings of compassion and a sense of morality. But this is also what keeps them from becoming saints.

A saint is not held down by their compulsions and emotions to a large degree. This allows them to be sociopathic if they want, but they won't, because doing so will bring them lower. Actual sociopaths are also held down by compulsions and emotions, if they weren't, they'd easily become saints. They are just held down by different compulsions and emotions than normal people.

While a saint is held down by almost none.

Posted (edited)

No, it's the opposite, although it can seem like you're becoming more selfish you're actually not.

The more spiritual you become - the less manipulative you become because becoming more spiritual is fundamentaly only about braking the boundary between you and others.

What will happen though is that as you get more conciouss you will at one point or another get more and more connected to truth which might give you the illusion that you're turning into a sociopathic dickhead.

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

On 01/01/2024 at 1:45 PM, Lifelover88 said:

In theory it should be the opposite. 

It depends on the comprehension and ideals of the individual person. 

Edited by bebotalk

You are any which way. Love.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

This is actually a good question.

Firstly -- no, people don't fundamentally flip from not being a sociopath (in other words, having a conscience) to being a sociopath (exploiting others without a conscience.)  

Secondly -- yes, being enlightened CAN give you certain powers of insight and therefore the option of manipulating other people, however it would unlikely be manipulation for the purpose of exploitation.  Any good coach or therapist is in essence a skillful manipulator of his clients, but it's not exploitation in a zero/sum sense.

So yeah, it's easy to manipulate people but if you have a conscience it becomes an ethical kind of manipulation, either for the benefit of others, or, in the worst case for mutual benefit.

@SeaMonster that’s honestly a perfect take / reframing for what’s going on in the movie Pinocchio! 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

17 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

@SeaMonster that’s honestly a perfect take / reframing for what’s going on in the movie Pinocchio! 

:D