Scholar

Any tips for Seasonal Affective Disorder?

31 posts in this topic

Also called winter depression. Anyone in here have any special, uncommon tips that help against this?

Maybe microdosing psychedelics, or any special practices?

Glory to Israel

I do light therapy every morning. You can get one of those light therapy lamps on Amazon.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Get at least half an hour of full daylight every day. Even on a rainy overcast day, it is still much much brighter outside than indoors. Regular exercise does help.

I've also taken St John's Wort tablets daily with some success, but effects take about three weeks to kick in (for me). You may be able to get it in your country, but it varies; here in the UK it's easily available. There are warnings of some side effects, but I've never experienced any.

All stories and explanations are false.

for me this is rough ... i ramp up the self care and sleep a ton more

the things i hate are: dark, cold, seasonal societal mania, holidays, end of year, illness potential

i just lie low and keep to myself until the sun comes back ... for my sanity i need to steer clear of any and all frantic humans

once solstice hits on the 21st, i know things are getting better

Skiing, snowshoeing, winter camping, indoor climbing, jiu jitsu, boxing, ice skating, wood fireplace, eggnog, hot chocolate, tea, chilli, cooking, yoga, reading, studying, garden prep late winter.

Edited by Devin

Apologies if I echo other recommendations buuuuuut you could try:

Regular exercise

YouTube summer day sounds (birds waterfall etc) with eyes such (using imagination to imagine yourself to a beautiful warm place) 

Travelling to a hotter climate if possible

Keep taking Vit d3

Not tried it myself but the light therapy

Going to a garden centre to the indoor house plant section as it's usually very green and warm (replicates summer vibes) 

Feed the local wildlife (purpose)

Give yourself a lovely cosy indoor space with lots of soft and warm vibes. Paired with a nice hot choc etc. 

(P.s I am also struggling with this as I live in the northern part of the UK)b⛈️🌧️☔

☺️☀️

I bought a light therapy lamp back when I thought I was seasonally affected some years ago. It certainly gave me more energy. One of the first times I tried it, I had so much energy, I came to a seminar at my university and finished the assignments in half the time and left early :D Be careful to not stare directly at it, even if you feel fine while doing it (I tried it sometimes, and it made everything look a bit grey for the rest of the day, and my eyes kinda hurt).

Nowadays, I try to let as much natural light into my room as possible when I wake up, independent of the seasons. Even if I wake up too early for any light, I also do short 10-minute walks up to 3 times a day, and the times I get to do morning walks, I'm basically guaranteed some light.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

Vitamin D3

Finally some advice worth taking. It's because I love you why I pick on you....lol I find you fascinating.

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

6 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Finally some advice worth taking. It's because I love you why I pick on you....lol I find you fascinating.

Ty the West Indian dominatrix.

I think my next experiment will be HRT with testosterone, progesterone and a little HCG. I'll make a topic about it if it happens.

Yess

full (7).png

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Just now, Schizophonia said:

Ty the West Indian dominatrix

Far from that. Whip whip!

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I bought a light therapy lamp back when I thought I was seasonally affected some years ago. It certainly gave me more energy. One of the first times I tried it, I had so much energy, I came to a seminar at my university and finished the assignments in half the time and left early :D Be careful to not stare directly at it, even if you feel fine while doing it (I tried it sometimes, and it made everything look a bit grey for the rest of the day, and my eyes kinda hurt).

Nowadays, I try to let as much natural light into my room as possible when I wake up, independent of the seasons. Even if I wake up too early for any light, I also do short 10-minute walks up to 3 times a day, and the times I get to do morning walks, I'm basically guaranteed some light.

You should try a 2-week fire kasina retreat for a nice perceptual upgrade, if you find the time. Could resolve a lot of your dissociation, brain fog, and general deterioration issues.

https://firekasina.org/

6 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Is there any way I could comment on your YouTube channel?

6 hours ago, MysticalSnow said:

Is there any way I could comment on your YouTube channel?

I don't know, and that's a weird and random thing to ask. Are you @AtheisticNonduality?

Edited by Carl-Richard

9 hours ago, MysticalSnow said:

You should try a 2-week fire kasina retreat for a nice perceptual upgrade, if you find the time. Could resolve a lot of your dissociation, brain fog, and general deterioration issues.

https://firekasina.org/

"Deterioration issues"?

I don't personally think of random lights overlayed everyday objects as a "perceptual upgrade".

Bought one of those lamps, going to see if that makes any difference.

Glory to Israel

17 minutes ago, Scholar said:

Bought one of those lamps, going to see if that makes any difference.

I would start with a few minutes at first. You’d be surprised at how stimulating it can be. At least for me, even 30 mins of it feels like I drank a cup of Joe.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

59 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I would start with a few minutes at first. You’d be surprised at how stimulating it can be. At least for me, even 30 mins of it feels like I drank a cup of Joe.

I'm doing it for several hours daily.

I'm just a little desperate, the depressive symptoms I am getting are making me completely unfunctional in terms of my work, so I don't have the patience to wait for weeks for it all to kick in.

Glory to Israel

1 minute ago, Scholar said:

I'm just a little desperate, the depressive symptoms I am getting are making me completely unfunctional in terms of my work, so I don't have the patience to wait for weeks for it all to kick in.

That’s what ketamine clinics are for.

What about the winter joy?

Be enthusiastic.

What if it's a misdiagnosis? May be adding to the assumption that it is in fact externally caused. 

Have you ever been disinterested and tired, and then suddenly enthusiastic and joyful?

Maybe look in that direction, too.