Guest username

Do You Try To Love Your Enemies?

Do You Try to Love Your Enemies?   18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try to love your enemies?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 posts in this topic

Why or why not?

No. You cannot love your enemy! How can you love your enemy? It is a friendship in reverse order. Both give, both enrich your life.

Opposites are not really opposites. Deep down, they have a great harmony. They are parts of one whole. They appear two because we have not looked deep down. It is because of our shallow eyes, non-penetrating minds, superficial consciousnesses -- that's why they look like opposites, otherwise they are not.

That's why simple logic is always fallacious. Apparently it looks so right: if there is no enemy, the whole world will be your friend. You are wrong. If there is no enemy, there will be no possibility of friendship. There will be no possibility, because the very ground has been destroyed.

If you are conscious,  distinctions between friend and enemy should disappear !

Simple answer   - no

Why 

Because I don't think they deserve my love. There are others who are more deserving.

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

You cant love your enemies. The reason why they are enemies is because you h8 them. Its inherit in the meaning youve produced.

Practicing loving kindness meditation though shows you that if you want to "love your enemies" you need to realize they arent enemies in the first place. Get to the root problem of h8tred.

@electroBeam I was hoping my connotation would be clear enough.  I wonder how many people are answering no due to the terminology issue, haha. :o

Yes I do try to love them - I have much hatred in my heart and the only way to remove it is to find non-judgement and love and curiosity for all things, however this isn't something that I can maintain for very long and really only becomes about during an awakening experience and sticks around for some time after before cycling back into judgement and hatred.  Eventually I tire of hating - because it's a depleting emotion - move to apathy and depression and from there I am able to let go.  In letting go, "God" or "Spirit" reminds me that I have to learn to love and the process starts all over again.

The same for the emotions of fear and despair, fear being the underlying negative emotion of everything.

Ever watch Once Upon a Time?  How Regina Mills was good girl until her heart was stomped on, and then she became a villain, but she tries again and again to be a good person?  I quit watching the show because it really started to suck, and I haven't really watched much television in a few years.  But yeah.

I have six enemies.  My parents, my ex, the woman who chased me off of a forum a year ago for her misinterpretation of events and another woman who used triangulation via money and becoming a chameleon (she stole my personality) to steal my closest friend and yet another woman who covered up her boyfriend molesting me.  It will take work to remove this hatred as in this point in time I will not be bothered by any karma they may, and inevitably will face.  However, it is my karma to remove my mother's hatred, as she is a toxic person.  These people drove me literally crazy batshit insane, and they get to live normal lives.  Except for the one from the old forum, that chick is worse off than I am.

I hate them.  I hate that I did not stick up for myself.  I repressed everything, and then my anger comes out at inconvenient times.  So this hatred has to go.  It will.  Once the story stops.  Just have to keep practicing being in the moment.  I'll try not to sick Goddess Kali on any of 'em... just kidding...

No one has control over entities like that, they do what they will.

Anyways, summary... yes, I try to love my enemies because hatred is a sucky emotion.  Fuck it.

You cannot love someone by will.

Yes, and no.

4 hours ago, username said:

Why?

Because why the hell not, sure you can meditate deeply on why they're a resistance in your life, uncover the layers of your displeasure and become in tune to what causes your perspective, but that's just more bullshit, maybe good benificial bullshit, but bullshit nonetheless, they're enemies for a reason, an opposition to your identity, and accepting that rather than denying it shows that life is an experience of full diversity, and that you can learn to love, that you can play with, grow from and go into experiences of profound emotion, no matter how short lived... or maybe you just want to become neutral to all experience and gravitate towards emptiness, where you hope to find peace, "real" peace, it's all the same in the end, and not one way is better than the next

Edit: But I can't really speak, I don't have any enemies, and if there is I don't really believe I have a problem with them, I have a problem with myself. 

Edited by key

You simply forgive them, as you deserve peace.

B R E A T H E

Yes, but i don't have any enemies;) 

Edited by Spiral

You are your own worst enemy.

15 hours ago, Mat Pav said:

You cannot love someone by will.

But you can change perspective which can make space between thoughts for love to grow.

18 hours ago, Loreena said:

I don't think they deserve my love. There are others who are more deserving.

You are the only one feeling the vibes of your emotions. Having reasons not to express love is literally punishing yourself.

Love doesn't need reasons to be express as love is everything but logical and is not a finite energy.

To find peace of mind is to love unconditionally. 

"There is no way to peace, peace is the way."

We are able to choose our emotional states. As soon as my mind labels someone as my enemy, I feel fear inside of me. This feedback tells me that there is nothing wrong with them but only with me. Whatever happens, the world just is and I have to deal with that. I feel very thankful for all the challenges my so called enemies gave me to work on. Thank to them I could grow, learn acceptance and forgiveness, make me realize that my expectations are simple dreams, that I'm responsible for putting faith in false beliefs and my emotional state and finally be at ease with what is.

Edited by Nic

Who Am I to judge? When I think I know, I don't know that I don't know.

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."

No, because my ego believes hating them is more practical. 

Yes, of course.

That's one of the direct accesses to know our-very-selves and grow. And also that's a very practical tool to non-duality; maybe a better way than meditation sometimes.

And if we love only the things which are easy to love? Than what's our real input into love? 

The question is very well asked. At least we need to be willing to try. We might not be achieving the ideal result, but definitely we need to be on the path for it, for our own sake more than anything else. Otherwise how can we say we're on the path of wholeness?

On 04/04/2017 at 2:11 PM, username said:

Do You Try To Love Your Enemies?
Why or why not?

No.
Not that I have "enemies", but I have enough trouble loving beings that truly deserve Love.

And offering Love indiscriminately can have the opposite effect on narcissists and egomaniacs - they often take this gift the wrong way, feeding their ego instead of their heart.  Your Love is your most prized "possession" - nurture and triage it wisely.

@jse I think there's a distinction between unconditional love for all things and acts of love that burden one's personal resources. 

It seems most people interpret the question as expressing love in the same way one would for close friends and family, through acts that have some sort of strain on personal resources, rather than love as an internal state of which there's no need to ration. 

@username , I'm talking about the everyday down-to-earth healing Love for others, which most loving beings (such as babies) need at certain times.

And for an example, offering your unlimited love to a psychopath will have the opposite effect to the good intention.
The limited resource in question for this finite life is time, not love.

@jse Yeah, I'd agree with you. I think the proper aim would be to try to cultivate inner love for the psychopath, but not necessarily spend your time try to heal him or her only to have it be of no avail when time could be spent on other things.

20 hours ago, John Flores said:

I have no enemies except Enki, the wicked who has been trying to kill me since I was born. He's residing in a town called Monsey on a street name of which the first word is the first word of a Monopoly property. He shares a body with Enlil the spirit of Moses.

@John Flores , is this where the evil one (whose name shall remain unspoken) resides?  o.O

All is one. 

Once you have this experience you cannot purposely not love something or someone. :)