PurpleTree

Disney struggling because of „woke“ politics?

20 posts in this topic

„CEO Bob Iger — who retook the reins at Disney a year ago after his chosen successor Bob Chapek came under fire for his management of the entertainment giant — told investors in late September that the company will “quiet the noise” in a culture warthat has pitted social conservatives against the global media and entertainment conglomerate“

„Disney has hit rough times economically. The company has been hamstrung by steep losses in its streaming division as well as underwhelming box office returns on big-budget pictures in the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” franchise.

“The Marvels,” its latest MCU sequel, has generated just $76.9 million domestically and $110.2 million overseas in the three weeks since it opened.

Disney’s most recent animated offering, “Wish,” managed just a measly $31.7 million over the five-day Thanksgiving period.

It had been forecast to debut closer to $50 million.“

https://nypost.com/2023/11/28/business/disney-hints-woke-politics-present-risks-to-reputation-and-brands/

marvel black panther was woke and a huge success though

Maybe more conservatives gave up watching Disney content to be opposed to woke, regardless of the quality of the content.

Edited by Understander

@PurpleTree

On 2023-12-02 at 10:48 PM, PurpleTree said:

„CEO Bob Iger — who retook the reins at Disney a year ago after his chosen successor Bob Chapek came under fire for his management of the entertainment giant — told investors in late September that the company will “quiet the noise” in a culture warthat has pitted social conservatives against the global media and entertainment conglomerate“

„Disney has hit rough times economically. The company has been hamstrung by steep losses in its streaming division as well as underwhelming box office returns on big-budget pictures in the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” franchise.

“The Marvels,” its latest MCU sequel, has generated just $76.9 million domestically and $110.2 million overseas in the three weeks since it opened.

Disney’s most recent animated offering, “Wish,” managed just a measly $31.7 million over the five-day Thanksgiving period.

It had been forecast to debut closer to $50 million.“

https://nypost.com/2023/11/28/business/disney-hints-woke-politics-present-risks-to-reputation-and-brands/

The main problem is the writers and directors weaponizing post modernism with wokeism, followed by too much merchandizing and capitalism/neoliberalism in pursuit of profits over soul, money over quality. Mostly stage orange and some blues predating onto stage green younger generations. After all Disney started revolutionary in animation, raised early on, but Walt Disney was a libertarian anarchist who also dreamed of a big corporate kingdom called Disney park. After his death is when the wolves of wall street CEO types and corporate took over and milked Disney for what it's worth, while subliminally messaging capitalism and other themes in the cartoons to influence mass consumerism and normalize other social norms and westernize and modernize the tales in each Disney cartoon, making them family friendly when their origins were dark.

Based on many developmental factors like Spiral Dynamics stages of development, cognitive and moral development, personality typing/traits, mass consciousness, ego development, states of being/becoming, Integral Theory's other lines of development in life and societal domains, ideological beliefs indoctrinated by culture and family upbringing, and information intake from information ecology in the news, videos, radios, TV, social media, schooling, communities and many more that manufactures consent in the general population.

Disney just makes bad movies because they are capitalist whores.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Only movie Business is bad. 

Visit their Parks. It's magical! 

Disney is struggling because of a boring, overused, formulaic film series.

It is struggling because they don't pay 50 upcoming filmmakers a small budget to make 50 independent films, then see if 5 work well to try 5 new film formulas. I say this because they love film formulas so much, it makes their shareholders happy.

If it were me i'd do large competitions for independent film makers until I discovered a wealth of new talent.

Edited by BlueOak

I just know that their "Soul" animated movie that came out I think 3 years ago is like my top 5 movies ever.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

@Leo Gura

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Disney just makes bad movies because they are capitalist whores.

I'm with you on that one brother. And the cost for the Disney plus subscription is just so high to pay. 

"Reality is a Love Simulator"-Leo Gura

Being woke is good, but being inauthentically woke is painfully hard to watch.

Multi-billion dollar companies built upon centuries of exploitation peddling woke messages to try and get good PR just comes across as so inauthentic.

It’s so bad that it harms progress rather than helping it because it repels people and makes them think all woke stuff is bad.

Also, have you ever noticed that almost every other industry has to become efficient, and competitive, find new ways to make money, new markets, and cut their costs?

The film industry gets to overinflate everything to the nth degree to insulate itself from any real pressure, then complains, and falls flat on its face when it hits a hurdle. It's like there are no real capitalists in Hollywood anyway. If there were they know that without innovation and constant adaption, you die out anyway. Which is exactly what's happening in this case.

Edited by BlueOak

They are not struggling.

They have to suffer for a little because of Star Wars. The universe always balances everything out in the long run.

@PurpleTree Chadwick Boseman was a great actor and a VERY likeable guy.  The 2nd installment of the girl power film was terrible.  

Out of 30 films they produce, maybe one is a good watch.  

They are not capable of producing art like the likes of a Christopher Nolan can produce.  And they are certainly not capable of producing a movie like Joker that tackles problems like mental health, healthcare, and societal problems... They profit from all those things because they produce movies for people to escape real problems.    

They should make a movie called Souless, wherein a talented young artist sells his soul and career to a giant corporation who milks his fans dry until he gets a mental illness and shoots up a school.

The movie ends with them finding a new young artist to feed into their machine.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

They should make a movie called Souless, wherein a talented young artist sells his soul and career to a giant corporation who milks his fans dry until he gets a mental illness and shoots up a school.

Where is the princess in it? 

I know you mean that ironic but this would be a good cartoon Story and I think back then they could almost do that and still be Disney. Cartoons were very brutal 

Just the scool shooting would be not possible :)

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I like this idea except instead of the school shooting, he shoots up the giant corporation in an attempt to end the cycle for good

2 hours ago, Phil King said:

I like this idea except instead of the school shooting, he shoots up the giant corporation in an attempt to end the cycle for good

Sounds a bit like falling down:

Or if you want the comedic lighter version office space:

Office space is probably in my top 20 movies of all time, close anyway.

@Phil King
Falling down is not as good as this. The characters here are people I could have just encountered at work, and that's what makes it great. Like that clip :)

Edited by BlueOak