Leo Gura

New War In Israel / Gaza

7,522 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Nivsch said:

@lina @Leo Gura Ok so both sides were to blame quite equally. I tried to search for one side who "started" it but I could not find.

I honestly don't know all the details about the Lebanese civil war but a quick google search says this: 

The beginning of the civil war is typically dated to April 13, 1975, when the Phalangists attacked a bus taking Palestinians to a refugee camp at Tall al-Zaʿtar, Lebanon. The attack escalated an intermittent cycle of violence into a more general battle between the Phalangists and the LNM, whose coalition of Lebanese leftists and Muslims supported the PLO’s cause.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Lebanese-Civil-War

The Phalangists were a right wing nationalist militia. It seems there was long history of sectarian clashes in Lebanon and got triggered also due to the arrival of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon (thanks to Israel). 

38 minutes ago, Nivsch said:

Palestinians are equally hostile to other countries too. Israel is not the source of the problem but an another trigger for them.

I disagree with this. The way I see it is that Palestinian violence have mostly been a form of retaliation. While the source of violence have started from far-right separatist racist groups. 

21 minutes ago, Karmadhi said:

Then how come the previous leaders of Israel did not have these corruption charges, nor did they try to undermine democracy or rule of law? What you said is irrelevant of what I am saying.

You are being small-minded. I am speaking of larger things.

What you call "undermining democracy and rule of law" is a matter of perspective.

It's important that you can appreciate a person without needing his perspective to agree with yours.

I am not here to whitewash Netanyahu. But I appreciate him as a serious politician. Same as I do with Putin. These are serious people, not buffoons like Trump.

Which Bibi is one of them.

No he isn't.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, lina said:

he beginning of the civil war is typically dated to April 13, 1975, when the Phalangists attacked a bus taking Palestinians to a refugee camp at Tall al-Zaʿtar, Lebanon. The attack escalated an intermittent cycle of violence into a more general battle between the Phalangists and the LNM, whose coalition of Lebanese leftists and Muslims supported the PLO’s cause.

This is only a result of a complex positive feedback happened before that.

1 hour ago, lina said:

also due to the arrival of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon (thanks to Israel). 

Thanks to the fact they were kicked out of Jordan too.

1 hour ago, lina said:

I disagree with this. The way I see it is that Palestinian violence have mostly been a form of retaliation. While the source of violence have started from far-right separatist racist groups. 

Its interesting they can never get along with roughly ANYONE. 

Edited by Nivsch

🌻Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

No he isn't.

He is not but he is happy to use their support to remain in power and achieve his goals. 

3 minutes ago, lina said:

He is not but he is happy to use their support to remain in power and achieve his goals. 

It's more nuanced than that. The religious right is a powerful constituency in Israel, just like in the US. That's part of democracy. He can't just ignore them.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Karmadhi Regarding what Leo said about Bibi being a serious politician and what Lina mentioned above ie Bibi not being a religious zealot but using them as a political base to garner/maintain power. This demonstrates political skill which is what Leo appreciates, not necessarily his soul.

5 hours ago, zazen said:

No doubt Bibi is charismatic. This old clip of him when he was young shows this very well - strong voice, coherent and eloquent, well dressed, cares a lot for his nation - oozing charisma. But look at him today and he has dead eyes compared to the seemingly caring ones he had when younger. He’s still passionate, but passionate about his own success. Politics and the dirtiness of it has consumed him.

It’s possible to appreciate competence without appreciating someone’s level of consciousness. Similar to sports athletes - you can appreciate the skillset and competence on display without liking their politics, personality or how they are in their personal lives - athletes who cheat or neglect family for example.

You can appreciate someone’s skillset of leadership which has facets of cunning, shrewdness and manipulation - but not appreciate where exactly they’re leading to or how they go about it. Leadership is power - and power is its own allure and intoxication regardless of its morality.

Just like the charismatic player who breaks hearts, political leaders lacking morality but possessing the skillset to lead often screw people over on their way to the top building a army of enemies behind them that could one day conspire their downfall. Often, these types of leaders will never know peace - their handshake means nothing and the cost of material success is that they sold their soul.

The best and worst of men are cunning, shrewd and possess manipulative abilities - it’s how it’s used and to what end that matters. Do they use them benevolently or let it consume them like a malignant cancer. 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:44 AM, Bobby_2021 said:

Hamas leaders and Benjamin Netanyahu agrees with each other more than the participants of this thread. 

Both rejects the two state solution. I guess you can take off some time to criticize hamas as well. 

Could be a angered and delusional response to Bibi saying he wants to control all the land from the river to the sea just two days ago which is also a angered and delusional response to October 7th. Nonetheless, both parties are not good for peacemaking. 

The reason for Hamas's popularity is probably because they represent a warrior class / mentality - not as pacifist or weak spined like the party in West Bank which hasn't done anything to stop settlement expansion. When people are in oppressive situations they revert to the warrior types to stop that oppression before they can think about who is more competent at running and building a state. If someones being attacked the natural reflex is to focus on defending the attack before they can think about even shaking the hands of the attacker. The first priority is protection from oppression, nation building comes secondary.

Israel won't get rid of Hamas or anything that takes its place until it gets rid of the conditions that inevitably lead to Hamas. The presence of Hamas is like the presence of sunscreen in Israel - a response to harsh environmental conditions. Hamas isn't some external alien entity imposed on Palestinians but naturally emerges as a result of conditions imposed on them within their homeland. Just as blood surely rises from a wound, resistance - even violent resistance arises from oppression and occupation. That's why a lot of criticism is directed at Israel more so than Palestinians because the root is the one causing the wound.

Another issue with suffering and trauma is the victim hood weaponisation of it leads to entitlement. The suffering in Gaza can cause Hamas or Palestinians in general to become more entitled to the point of not being wiling to concede in any negotiations - the same way historical Jewish suffering has also caused Israeli's to become entitled. Both feel wronged to the point of stale mate negotiations that go no where - but Israel projects its feeling of being wronged by others (Europeans) in Jewish history onto the Palestinians who never committed such wrongs.

Edited by zazen

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

What you call "undermining democracy and rule of law" is a matter of perspective

Increasing corruption is not a matter of perspective. A society with stronger rule of law is more evolved and less corrupt. You say yourself minimizing corruption is one of society's goals to aim for. Making the constitutional court your private playground is doing exactly the opposite of minimizing corruption. 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

These are serious people, not buffoons like Trump.

I am not very informed on Trump but I see he is on his way to win a second presidency and is for sure going to be the republican nominee.

If people got a taste of 4 years of Trump and they still want to elect him, it means he did stuff right.

Also, many people around the world like Trump because they say "no wars started under him, look at how much shit happened under Biden".

But the fact that Americans liked his presidency enough to give him a second try shows he has some stuff going on for him.

@lina

3 hours ago, lina said:

They're gonna be the next North Korea at this point. Why not also implement the intranet while you're at it?

Yeah, Imma pass on vacation/holiday to Israel until this conflict settles down.

Jesus Christ, what a disgusting video, got Steven Crowder vibes from this guy filming. However, putting aside my biases here, this is a look into the pro Palestinian protestors in Manchester area and what a Zionist would think, or someone who's ignorant of this situation would believe:

The consequences of democracy and ideology. This guy filming is a great example of using dark humour to dehumanize a political movement. So ignorant. In fact, some states in the USA allows American citizens the right to ask the film maker to not take video or pictures of their faces or them without their permission, and if refused, they can sue the film maker. This guy if he's in the USA, in those states he'd be in trouble.

Edited by Danioover9000

This is just fair to counteract the palestinian propaganda MONSTER being spreaded to hundreds of millions in numbers we cannot compete with, unless we invest in our algorithm to the point it will be better than the other ones.

🌻Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF.

5 hours ago, Karmadhi said:

Increasing corruption is not a matter of perspective. A society with stronger rule of law is more evolved and less corrupt. You say yourself minimizing corruption is one of society's goals to aim for. Making the constitutional court your private playground is doing exactly the opposite of minimizing corruption.

Changing how the Israeli supreme court works does not necessarily equate to corruption. That's your framing of it.

5 hours ago, Karmadhi said:

If people got a taste of 4 years of Trump and they still want to elect him, it means he did stuff right.

It doesn't mean that. People are often deluded.

But even Hitler did stuff right. No one is claiming every single thing Trump does is wrong.

@Karmadhi This is not true. The most uneducated people in society vote for Trump and Republicans. This is a fact. Just because people want trump back doesn't mean he did a good job. Most of his supporters couldn't even explain one thing Trump did that was beneficial for the country. "BuT tHe GaS pRiCeS" Actually, the president has very little control over the economy and price of gas, AND it has been proven that mega-conglomerates like U.S. Oil and Gas artificially inflate the prices of gas during a democrat presidency because republican presidents are more lenient on tax policies against gas companies. AKA gas prices are up due to PRICE GAUGING.

Edited by Shodburrito

6 minutes ago, Shodburrito said:

The most uneducated people in society vote for Trump and Republicans. This is a fact.

I personally never attended college yet would never vote for Trump in a million years.

Maybe Trump’s youngest son will have very different values than his father, which I can certainly relate to. I have very different values than my parents.

Edited by Yimpa

Why did the snake need glasses? Because it had a reptile dysfunction!

40 minutes ago, Nivsch said:

This is just fair to counteract the palestinian propaganda MONSTER being spreaded to hundreds of millions in numbers we cannot compete with, unless we invest in our algorithm to the point it will be better than the other ones.

As long as it isn't a (WMD) weapon of mass distraction, distortion and deflection. Tackling antisemitism is important though as ignorant people mix the Jewish faith and people with hard line Zionism.

I can imagine the headlines already 'light vs darkness'  'civilization vs barbarism' 'West is the best - a light unto the world from Plato to Nato'.

Pretty good military analysis of Palestinian resistance, with Nora Barrows-Friedman, Asa Winstanley, Ali Abunimah and Jon Elmer.

The World's Most Documented Genocide in History - Double Down News