Husseinisdoingfine

Is being a Zen monk a valid spiritual path?

15 posts in this topic

I know that this community is very well against ideology and dogma. But I really want to give it a try, being a zen monk.

I already know Japanese for which I taught myself and I have spoken to a Zen practitioner. I think as a temporary measure in order to really hone in on my meditation skills, I could do this for a few months to a year. I know Buddhism is very well warned against by Leo, but he has admitted that his spiritual path took 10 years of Buddhist teachings and served as a great foundation for him. 

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

If you feel a deep calling towards the Zen path, by all means, follow your intuition. The spiritual journey is deeply personal and what works for one person may not work for another. It's vital to remember, though, that it's not about identifying with a particular practice, but rather about discovering the truth of your own being.

Zen Buddhism has a rich history of supporting practitioners in deepening their understanding of themselves and the nature of reality. I will say, however, that choosing to be a monk is not a casual decision. It is a profound commitment that requires discipline, dedication, and a willingness to face the depth of your own being.

The key to any spiritual practice is authenticity and understanding that the path is not about achieving a goal, but about realizing who you truly are. Don't feel pressured to adhere to any rules or doctrines. Let your insight guide your actions rather than adhering rigidly to a prescribed set of practices or beliefs.

Finally, remember that the essence of spiritual development is not about becoming something different but about recognizing and embodying the wisdom and love that is your essential nature. Whatever path or practice resonates with you and supports this process of recognition and embodiment, is the right one for you.

Trust yourself and honor your unique spiritual journey. We're all in this together, contributing our own unique perspectives to the wholeness of life. So, if you feel the pull towards the Zen path, trust that instinct and see where it takes you — it might just lead you somewhere beautiful.

One thing I've realized personally is that there are hidden benefits with following traditional paths. There are also more disadvantages than advantages [in terms of power] when not having the likes of Leo's teaching to mix in. But the advantages are that a path that is specific, and a path that you have deduced is accurate and correct...will synthesize very elegantly together different practises and form a very followable step by step plan usually. This can provide a very good frame work of understanding... especially concerning some of the small details and fine print. Leo's video catalog is absolutely powerful and amazing but he has to cover so much powerful stuff he can't afford to spend hours an hour's and hours going into the nitty gritty of each detail. 

Buddhism is something I'm getting into more recently. It's definitely helpful in terms of stabilizing the mind and creating a more balanced beginner to intermediate slope rather than just blasting yourself with the most powerful mind altering substances on earth lol. As good as that is. And as necessary as that is in the later stages. 

@Husseinisdoingfine

56 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

I know that this community is very well against ideology and dogma. But I really want to give it a try, being a zen monk.

I already know Japanese for which I taught myself and I have spoken to a Zen practitioner. I think as a temporary measure in order to really hone in on my meditation skills, I could do this for a few months to a year. I know Buddhism is very well warned against by Leo, but he has admitted that his spiritual path took 10 years of Buddhist teachings and served as a great foundation for him. 

It sure is traditionally speaking. If you can handle the grueling hours of meditation, prayers, reading, and a very strict stage blue life, maybe good for you, but think about it carefully.

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Since Leo seems to be the main source of authority for you, Leo also talks (or used to, or at least alluded to when talking about SD Stage Blue) about the wisdom of tradition. If there is anything you should put authority on (other than yourself), it's the wisdom of a thousand men. Besides, nowhere is it written that spirituality must be practiced alone in your room where the only access to spiritual knowledge and contact with like-minded people is through a computer screen. That is nothing but a highly unfortunate cultural fluke.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Yes, go from being an Actualized forum user to a zen monk B| 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@YogiCosmos This is BEAUTIFUL.

2 hours ago, YogiCosmos said:

If you feel a deep calling towards the Zen path, by all means, follow your intuition. The spiritual journey is deeply personal and what works for one person may not work for another. It's vital to remember, though, that it's not about identifying with a particular practice, but rather about discovering the truth of your own being.

Zen Buddhism has a rich history of supporting practitioners in deepening their understanding of themselves and the nature of reality. I will say, however, that choosing to be a monk is not a casual decision. It is a profound commitment that requires discipline, dedication, and a willingness to face the depth of your own being.

The key to any spiritual practice is authenticity and understanding that the path is not about achieving a goal, but about realizing who you truly are. Don't feel pressured to adhere to any rules or doctrines. Let your insight guide your actions rather than adhering rigidly to a prescribed set of practices or beliefs.

Finally, remember that the essence of spiritual development is not about becoming something different but about recognizing and embodying the wisdom and love that is your essential nature. Whatever path or practice resonates with you and supports this process of recognition and embodiment, is the right one for you.

Trust yourself and honor your unique spiritual journey. We're all in this together, contributing our own unique perspectives to the wholeness of life. So, if you feel the pull towards the Zen path, trust that instinct and see where it takes you — it might just lead you somewhere beautiful.

there is zen and there is monk, you better understand them both first

i'd say take a year or two to investigate both these approaches

you can practice zen at home you can live monk mode at home

so if you can master it all from home why be a zen monk in a monastery?

contemplate what you're getting into

lots of online communities can help and support including here

This community isn't inherently anti-Zen, it's just that the traps and limits of Zen get addressed more than in other mainstream circles, mainly because Leo keeps talking about them openly, advocating for discussion.

I don't think that any open minded individual would tell you not to become a Zen monk, they would just tell you that being a Zen monk isn't inherently the best path towards realization and that it won't get you towards the same types/depths of realization than other paths.

You're confusing descriptions with prescriptions. This community is also critical of science, but no serious individual would tell you not to become a scientist. Science won't keep you from becoming self-realized, unless you confuse it for truth. Similarly, Zen won't keep you from becoming self-realized unless you confuse it for truth!

You know the saying: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."? How many Buddhists live by that? Not too many, or they'd stop calling themselves Buddhists. That's one of the traps of Buddhism, but if you really believe that you're capable of using Buddhism to "meet the Buddha on the road" and to "kill him" (or transcend Buddhism in other words), then nothing anyone here says should keep you from doing so.

I thought about moving into an Ashram (there is a great one in my country, I've visited it before and the energy there was amazing!), but I wouldn't actually become a Yogi and take on a Sanskrit name and all of that (like some people I've met in that Ashram have done) I would just investigate myself, parallel to the Yogis living there.

As long as you can keep deconstructing all the apparent, external sources of authority, and inquire into the origin of ALL authority, I think you'll be fine.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

17 hours ago, YogiCosmos said:

This^^^^^ what has been bolded. Great response Yogi!

Edited by Razard86

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

There is a german Zen Master in Japan, who practized there Zen for 30 years. He answered spiritual questions on youtube. In short: he can only citate, he only once had an ego death experience after 15 years of meditation. All the deep questions he cannot answer. He doesnt know if God exists and says probably not. 

On the question how his baseline consciousness now is compared to before he went all in to Zen he said it's pretty much the same. Maybe a bit less monkey mind. 

Edited by OBEler

@OBEler Ignorance is indeed bliss.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

6 hours ago, OBEler said:

There is a german Zen Master in Japan, who practized there Zen for 30 years. He answered spiritual questions on youtube. In short: he can only citate, he only once had an ego death experience after 15 years of meditation. All the deep questions he cannot answer. He doesnt know if God exists and says probably not. 

On the question how his baseline consciousness now is compared to before he went all in to Zen he said it's pretty much the same. Maybe a bit less monkey mind. 

It's cause he lacks imagination and he lacks Self-Love. LOVE IS THE PATH!!! The path of devotion!!!

Edited by Razard86

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.