at_anchor

Science learning app?

23 posts in this topic

I know this is practically impossible for me, but I just want to ask anyway, is there any online resource that is really good at teaching math and science to beginners?

I tried KhanAcademy, but it became impossible to figure out some algebra problem and so I stopped. I also don't like it's testing system. I heard about Delta Step, but haven't tried it yet.

How to master math and science? It is the only way to survive in the 21st century western society, unless you have some other valuable skills or talents. I don't, and learning this might just be impossible so your response might fall on death ears.

Edited by at_anchor

@effortlesslumen thank you so much, I will test the sites and see if I can learn science there. I feel this is gonna be it, but we'll see. ?

No way I'm gonna learn math and physics using these resources. I know arithmetic, but not algebra and further on from that. Maybe Khan Academy is the best after all and I should give it another chance to teach me math and physics. Programming naturally follows I think, but first I need that in my mind.

2 hours ago, at_anchor said:

No way I'm gonna learn math and physics using these resources. I know arithmetic, but not algebra and further on from that. Maybe Khan Academy is the best after all and I should give it another chance to teach me math and physics. Programming naturally follows I think, but first I need that in my mind.

This

In Tate we trust

https://ocw.mit.edu/ ( I don't really know how much beginner source you will find here, but you might)

https://openstax.org/subjects/math

You might be able to use youtube for your learning , if you search for playlists not just for videos.

So for instance here is what you will get if you type in "beginner math" and only filter for playlists:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beginner+math&sp=EgIQAw%3D%3D

Edited by zurew

4 hours ago, at_anchor said:

These were just two that came to my mind, there are many different resources on the internet to differnt topics if you research long enough.  I hope you find what you seek. 

Dude, you cannot learn serious math and science that way. Buy textbooks if you're serious. Or enroll in university/community college.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@at_anchor Brilliant App/ Website 

What kind of job you want?

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@at_anchor chatgpt 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

On 16/2/2023 at 8:11 PM, at_anchor said:

How to master math and science? It is the only way to survive in the 21st century western society, unless you have some other valuable skills or talents. I don't, and learning this might just be impossible so your response might fall on death ears.

I feel you're going in the wrong direction. I think what you're looking for is learning business, marketing and sales

That's my two cents anyways

Why do you want to focus on math and science? What's your plan? I'm just curious

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

Find guidance from someone who already knows, ask them how they learned and how they would learn if they were to start again.

You can check plattforms like edx.org, as well as brilliant to get intuition, yet for serious math I would buy textbooks and I checked a YouTuber a couple who recommend doing real textbooks for a deeper even intutive understanding of maths. I plan to do something similar, if I get the proper math background. I don't know if this is public, yet there are projects from universities to share stuff like this. 

https://ocw.mit.edu/search/?q=math

I checked these sources and I have sources from my university, (nobody asked for it besides me...) I am not sharing because I am not interested to get into some copyright restriction conflict. 

Basically edx.org, coursera.org, this YouTuber, MIT opencourseware, humblebundle has sales at times for example I have a stack of books teaching the mathematics of programming, like discrete mathematics etc. Doing math in Python etc. from No Starch press that cost 30€ on Amazon and the whole bundle costs 17€ and you also donate to a social cause, this is why I liked twitch and online communties etc. Brilliant.org is also fine, yet most have their background from school and textbooks. 

The OpenSoftware stuff is great as they offer assignments and solutions, and that is mostly what a textbooks should provide at best they give a very intutive explanation of a concept etc. There are plenty of sources for super-real math I would buy textbooks and go to a university and take the appropriate lectures. 

Also there are doctors and medical people lol, so it's not the only way and without business and products we could not even feed ourselves this has nothing really to do with science in my opinion, in terms of survival it's just a super global fad imo. 

This would be my take, although I am in a similar position fundamentally learning from scratch and my LP is still more focused on programming, so I am more interested in the intuition of math, and some calculations I have to see. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

8 hours ago, Thought Art said:

What kind of job you want?

Hm... good question. I have no idea.

What is there to choose from? I'd like some kind of a white collar job (architect, manager, programmer, engineer, pilot, etc.), or even a good blue collar job in the right place for the right guy and the right salary.

7 hours ago, mmKay said:

I feel you're going in the wrong direction. I think what you're looking for is learning business, marketing and sales

That's my two cents anyways

Why do you want to focus on math and science? What's your plan? I'm just curious

Marketing and sales? You definitely need math to get to college for that.

I don't have a plan. There is simply no other way to survive in society, other than being an artistic type and famous person. If you know math and science a lot of doors open to you and it becomes easy to go to college, plan for the future, strategize, become pragmatic and practical, maybe evn learn programming and get a programming masters degree so you can get a six figure job, visas and then travel around the world without difficulty, live a hundred years and feels safe and secure for the rest of your life. 

4 hours ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

You can check plattforms like edx.org, as well as brilliant to get intuition, yet for serious math I would buy textbooks and I checked a YouTuber a couple who recommend doing real textbooks for a deeper even intutive understanding of maths. I plan to do something similar, if I get the proper math background. I don't know if this is public, yet there are projects from universities to share stuff like this. 

https://ocw.mit.edu/search/?q=math

I checked these sources and I have sources from my university, (nobody asked for it besides me...) I am not sharing because I am not interested to get into some copyright restriction conflict. 

Basically edx.org, coursera.org, this YouTuber, MIT opencourseware, humblebundle has sales at times for example I have a stack of books teaching the mathematics of programming, like discrete mathematics etc. Doing math in Python etc. from No Starch press that cost 30€ on Amazon and the whole bundle costs 17€ and you also donate to a social cause, this is why I liked twitch and online communties etc. Brilliant.org is also fine, yet most have their background from school and textbooks. 

The OpenSoftware stuff is great as they offer assignments and solutions, and that is mostly what a textbooks should provide at best they give a very intutive explanation of a concept etc. There are plenty of sources for super-real math I would buy textbooks and go to a university and take the appropriate lectures. 

Also there are doctors and medical people lol, so it's not the only way and without business and products we could not even feed ourselves this has nothing really to do with science in my opinion, in terms of survival it's just a super global fad imo. 

This would be my take, although I am in a similar position fundamentally learning from scratch and my LP is still more focused on programming, so I am more interested in the intuition of math, and some calculations I have to see. 

Thanks for sharing!

I personally found online resources such as Youtube, Khan Academy, Math Stack Exchange, etc., to be a far more effective learning tool than university (I got my bachelors in pure mathematics and am working on a mathematical research paper currently).  I preferred  online resources over university mainly because you are able to go at your own pace and really absorb the information, where as in university you are forced to go along with the speed of the class.  The other issue is that professors rarely go into the intuition about the math concepts and instead skip straight to the method used to solve a problem with little to no understanding as to how the method works in the first place.  Statistics classes are an especially egregious example of this.

I would stick with Khan academy and Youtube personally, but I have ADD and learning disabilities (including reading and note taking speed), and so I have my own biases against university style education.  If you get stuck, you can search around the internet.  There’s a good chance your question or a similar question has been asked already on the math stack exchange, and if you are unable to find it you can post the question there.  The main issue with this sight is that they can be a bit rude, blunt, and anal with your question, but they will still likely answer it (assuming the question isn’t asked too frequently and can be easily found on the site).   Lately, I have also been asking math questions to chatgpt.  Currently it feels like a friendlier version of a google search, and is easier to just ask it a question and see what insights it has rather than rummaging through a bunch of ad-infested links in order to find the answer to your question (though you should be doing this as well).  You have to be very careful with chatgpt when using it as a source of information though, even more so than with Wikipedia.  Often times the responses I get are just flat out wrong or self-contradictory, and I may not have been able to catch it if I hadn’t already known so much in the field.  It is probably best to just ask it a question and then look up it’s response on the internet to verify whether or not what the AI was telling you is true.  

Lastly, what was the question you got stuck on?  I’d be happy to explain it to you.

On 17/02/2023 at 5:11 AM, at_anchor said:

I know this is practically impossible for me, but I just want to ask anyway

On 17/02/2023 at 5:11 AM, at_anchor said:

learning this might just be impossible so your response might fall on death ears

Before you worry about good sources/methods/techniques, you need to address your belief that you can't do it. 
This attitude is going to kill you before you even start.

Instead of telling yourself that it's impossible, tell yourself that it will probably just take you more time than other people.
Start small and build your confidence slowly. It's more important for the journey than which app you use.

I'm studying physics and applied mathematics at university right now and I just want to say if you want to "master" these subjects you will have to practice for 20+ years so don't make that your goal.

Instead, I would focus on simply hammering down your algebra skills, stuff you learn in high school, and then deciding what you want to do. I personally think that Kahn Academy and Organic Chemistry Tutor on YouTube are great resources. Don't just "start learning math" tho, make sure you have an endpoint in mind or a goal. I might recommend trying to get a 25 or above on the math ACT test and you will be at pretty good level and pretty solid in your basic math skills.

From what it sounds like to me you  want a flexible high income career path and you don't really care what it is just that it has those two qualities. For that I would recommend software engineering. The best way to peruse this is by going to college and getting a computer science degree. If you do this, just get good enough at math to get into a university and then they will take care of you as far as math skills go. First have a goal, and then learn what you need to in order to achieve that goal. Unless you love learning math for the hell of it, don't focus on the abstract goal of "mastering math and science".