Leo Gura

Warning: People Participating In Discords Will Be Banned

163 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, spiritual memes said:

Maybe there should be a casual chat board?

Leo seemingly didn't like any of my suggestions, so I went all stage Red on him for a moment and got everyone on the discord.

Leo won't touch the forum is the message he's given me, and everyone else, repeatedly.

Unless you do something yourself, it won't happen.

I don't think I even knew there was a 2-3 minute rule. it practically takes me 2-3 minutes to write even a short post most of the time. Perhaps consider if you have a need to send messages every minute that you haven't taken an appropriate amount of time to consider the content of your posts very much? Plenty of users here still manage to post tons even with this rule in place.

What no one seems to want to admit to is that the forum went downhill not just because of some kind of issue with the structuring of communication but also the leadership quality.  The leadership was overruled unconsciously by the collective. You should do everything you can to fix yourself and your management team up before looking to fix externally.  

Edited by Proserpina

???????

1 hour ago, Oeaohoo said:

In other words, even if it might have been against the rules, I don’t think they were using Discord to sow discord! Obviously what I think is more or less irrelevant here but I don’t think it should be necessary to ban them.

It does inadvertently sow discord. Having an isolated cell like that unavoidably creates gossip and an "othering" of the larger whole, and like @something_else mentioned, the internal dynamics of such a cell (e.g. high social cohesion and information flow) makes that more likely to happen.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, thisintegrated said:

You mean the mental masturbation & endless debate (which is against the rules btw) that's one of the biggest problems on the forum?

It's a shame you view it like that. I view it as authentic expression and willingness to learn.

1 hour ago, thisintegrated said:

As Oeehoo pointed out, the slowness of the forum encourages leaving statements, rather than actually discussing anything.  I, personally, see this as a major downside to the forum format.  Moreover, Leo ignored my countless suggestions for removing the post-rate-limit for non-mods. We must wait 3 whole minutes, sometimes longer, to post again after posting.  I mean, doesn't Leo wanna be at least on par with AoB?

Quick and snarky replies, that is what really fuels endless debates.

Edited by Carl-Richard

3 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

It does inadvertently sow discord. Having an isolated cell like that unavoidably creates gossip and an "othering" of the larger whole, and like @something_else mentioned, the internal dynamics of such a cell (e.g. high social cohesion and information flow) makes that more likely to happen.

True. I should have said “intentionally trying to sow discord”! 

He who bathes in the light of Oeaohoo will never be deceived by the veil of Mâyâ. 

Helena Blavatsky, The Secret Doctrine

2 minutes ago, Proserpina said:

What no one seems to want to admit to is that the forum went downhill not just because of some kind of issue with the structuring of communication but also the leadership quality....... You should do everything you can to fix yourself..........

Are you suggesting.. what I think you're suggesting?

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

the internal dynamics of such a cell (e.g. high social cohesion and information flow) makes that more likely to happen.

You're basically just arguing for my discord at this point.  Yes, you're right, a superior platform does result in tighter communities where everyone can feel more connected, happy, and at ease.  And sure, all that can turn into a cult, if unmoderated, but you're turning into Dick Hancock at that point.  Do you still go by Richard these days?

3 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

It's a shame you view it like that. I view it as authentic expression and willingness to learn.

Hey! I thought you said we're not allowed to use AI-generated responses on here anymore!

5 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Quick and snarky replies

Is that what you call having good arguments?

2 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

You're basically just arguing for my discord at this point.  Yes, you're right, a superior platform does result in tighter communities where everyone can feel more connected, happy, and at ease.  And sure, all that can turn into a cult

Well, you never know with these spiritual people and their group meditation sessions, energy checks and trauma dumps. All it takes is a slightly charismatic person who thinks highly of themselves and deals arrogantly with pushback, and a couple of submissive followers who encourage their convictions, then add a couple of drug-fueled spiritual experiences in the mix, and boom — you have a doomsday cult that believes negative entities are out to destroy the world. I've seen it happen with my own eyes and I'm seeing it happen again -_-

if unmoderated

That is not really a hypothetical.

Hey! I thought you said we're not allowed to use AI-generated responses on here anymore!

Sometimes the bots are right.

Is that what you call having good arguments?

No, I think that is what you think.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Well, you never know with these spiritual people and their group meditation sessions, energy checks and trauma dumps. All it takes is a slightly charismatic person who thinks highly of themselves and deals arrogantly with pushback, and a couple of submissive followers who encourage their convictions, then add a couple of drug-fueled spiritual experiences in the mix, and boom — you have a doomsday cult that believes negative entities are out to destroy the world. I've seen it happen with my own eyes and I'm seeing it happen again -_-

It's definitely concerning to see people being drawn into potentially harmful situations like that. It's important for people to be critical and skeptical of things they hear and to do their own research and think for themselves, rather than blindly following someone else's beliefs. It's also important for people to be aware of the potential dangers of drug use, especially in a group setting where the influence of others can be strong. It's always best to approach spiritual practices and beliefs with caution and to make sure you are making informed decisions.

Bro.. I don't even know what you're talking about.  And are you really suggesting psychedelics lead to cults?  Isn't that like.. Leo's whole thing?

That is not really a hypothetical.

We have moderators.  Leo was banned within seconds of joining.  We, at the discord, take our users' safety seriously.

Sometimes the bots are right.

I'm glad you agree, Carl. It's important for us to be aware and cautious when it comes to spiritual practices and beliefs, and to make sure we are making informed decisions for ourselves.

@Proserpina What would you like fixed?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

4 minutes ago, Tahuti said:

@Thought ArtIt is far better than being here. This structured form of communication is utter bullshit. Deleting my account and joining the discord

My man???

15 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

Bro.. I don't even know what you're talking about.  And are you really suggesting psychedelics lead to cults?  Isn't that like.. Leo's whole thing?

Discord and spirituality mixed together leads to cults. It has actually happened in this community before. Even if only 10% of that level of severity ever happens again, it would be really bad. I'm not saying it necessarily will happen. Regardless, what is already going on is bad enough.

Edited by Carl-Richard

12 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

Yes, you're right, a superior platform does result in tighter communities where everyone can feel more connected, happy, and at ease.  And sure, all that can turn into a cult, if unmoderated, but you're turning into Dick Hancock at that point.

I don't think you realise how severe and risky it really is. People in this community have committed suicide because of misunderstood teachings. Are you really willing to take responsibility for people's lives?

It's also just plain rude to steal people from another platform to your own discord. You could argue you're acting very much in your own self-interest there, and putting people at risk while doing it.

15 hours ago, Proserpina said:

What no one seems to want to admit to is that the forum went downhill not just because of some kind of issue with the structuring of communication but also the leadership quality.  The leadership was overruled unconsciously by the collective. You should do everything you can to fix yourself and your management team up before looking to fix externally.  

I don't think the forum went downhill. In fact, I think it's improving, given that many of the most toxic members are now gone or inactive, and given my own improvements. Even the moderation has improved a little, even though it is still largely the same overall.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)