Leo Gura

Elon Musk Twitter Trainwreck Mega-Thread

548 posts in this topic

If Musk actually goes through with this re-brand it will cost him half his userbase.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

"Twitter was acquired by X Corp both to ensure freedom of speech and as an accelerant for X, the everything app. This is not simply a company renaming itself, but doing the same thing.

The Twitter name made sense when it was just 140 character messages going back and forth – like birds tweeting – but now you can post almost anything, including several hours of video. 

In the months to come, we will add comprehensive communications and the ability to conduct your entire financial world. The Twitter name does not make sense in that context, so we must bid adieu to the bird."

Kinda makes sense.  

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If Musk actually goes through with this re-brand it will cost him half his userbase.

Does rebradning have this massive effect?

1 hour ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Does rebradning have this massive effect?

There is a big chance of it going wrong. Imagine a school. Now imagine that one of the most popular kids in that school just randomly reinvented their entire personality from scratch one day, basically becoming an entirely new person. Would they still be the one of the most popular kids? Maybe. But I think chances are that the other kids would go something like "What the fuck happened to them? They used to be so cool...".

Elon is basically doing that to Twitter by completely changing the site's personality. The personality that drew people in to begin with that is. That doesn't mean that this can't work, but it's VERY risky.

beep boop

5 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

X, the everything app

This is such a silly vision IMO. In fact, it's so vague that it's barely even a vision. It's like a high 15 year old came up with it. "Listen bro, I want to make an app that does everything, it will be awesome bro trust me"

I think it will end up being some weird "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of thing. And when it comes to online services people tend to like a specific service with a strong brand that does one thing well, instead of a service that does lots of things poorly.

The thing is, no one wants his everything app.

If people want to watch video, they go to YT, not Twitter. Using Twitter as a video platform is foolish.

It would like if Nike changed their brand to selling groceries and toilet paper.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

If people want to watch video, they go to YT, not Twitter. Using Twitter as a video platform is foolish.

Yeah, what a stupid decision. hours long videos will consume lots of storage on Twitter servers. 

Musk is too cheap to even hire the staff that would be necessary to add all these extra features.

Maybe if he was going to invest an extra $20 billion into this project it might work. But he isn't even paying his rent.

Edited by Leo Gura

I don't think he can make this everything app work. He wants the financial banking part because it's a very lucrative business, with millions of people paying small fees for millions of transactions. There are already others working on it. One is still PayPal, I still use it, but there are others. There's no way I would trust my savings or earnings to X, Elon Musk, or any other everything app either. For financial matters, it feels more secure an app that does this one thing right, and that's okay.

The thing is, he is also killing Twitter in the attempt. Twitter was huge, only a fool would underestimate what it already was. It could have worked financially too, with some time and good management.

What Elon should've done (in my highly uneducated opinion) is what Facebook did when they re-branded to Meta, which is to change the company name to X and keep Twitter as it is. He could've then created an "X" app or whatever and made Twitter a sub-part of that, allowing the user to access Twitter through that app while also being able to use the other functionalities Not sure how successful that would be, but it still would've been infinitely better than what he did.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

28 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

What Elon should've done (in my highly uneducated opinion) is what Facebook did when they re-branded to Meta, which is to change the company name to X and keep Twitter as it is. He could've then created an "X" app or whatever and made Twitter a sub-part of that, allowing the user to access Twitter through that app while also being able to use the other functionalities Not sure how successful that would be, but it still would've been infinitely better than what he did.

I think Musk is dealing with some sort of sunken-cost situation where he’s spent such a mind-boggling amount of money on Twitter that he’s now incapable of making rational business decisions for the company

Edited by something_else

My input: Elon Musk has his track record, everyone else (here) has their OPINIONS; I think it could be fairly and accurately said that he is operating on a level/scale that no one here could comprehend.

A) There are the people that are in the field

B) There are people on the sideline (who have never been on the field) talking about the people in the field

Lol..........

@Dauntment It's clear that Musk is extremely inexperienced in designing social media platforms and that his ego makes him ignore sound principles and advice from people who actually understand the industry.

Musk is not playing any kind of 3D chess here. Destroying a well established brand to chase some pipe dream of a Chinese all-in-one super app is a huge gamble and makes little sense.

It's clear that Musk is flailing around and throwing stuff at the wall just to see what sticks, and nothing is sticking.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 hour ago, Dauntment said:

Elon Musk has his track record, everyone else (here) has their OPINIONS; I think it could be fairly and accurately said that he is operating on a level/scale that no one here could comprehend.

Time will tell. It's not looking good for him though.

beep boop

2 hours ago, Dauntment said:

My input: Elon Musk has his track record, everyone else (here) has their OPINIONS; I think it could be fairly and accurately said that he is operating on a level/scale that no one here could comprehend.

A) There are the people that are in the field

B) There are people on the sideline (who have never been on the field) talking about the people in the field

Lol..........

Yeah no lol.  What a joke.

If you rewind everything back, Elon thought he was going to be a funny edgy 4 the lulz troll by offering to buy Twitter as a flex and then he tried to back out but… sorry!  Law says you have to buy it.  Put up or shut up.  So he was forced to buy it.  Self own.

So, from a conceptual level what your saying isn’t even true at all and falls flat on it’s face.  He’s never owned a social media company, much less a large one like Twitter.

It takes an idiot to realize another is an idiot.  That we can agree on lol.  So in your case, I’d be concerned on putting us idiots on the “sidelines” like we can’t see what’s really going on lol.

People said the same about Tesla that it would never work and that it was a pipe dream and they were all proven wrong. Now everybody and their mother is driving an electric car. The same with PayPal and with his other endeavors that changed paradigms of the world. He is a pionier so he is used to people talking smack. It is part of the business. 

Edited by StarStruck

@StarStruck Take a look at his solar roofs. They were a flop. He has plenty of bad ideas.

Edited by Leo Gura

26 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@StarStruck Take a look at his solar roofs. They were a flop. He has plenty of bad ideas.

Nobody is super human. He makes mistakes. If he didn’t dare to make mistakes he wouldn’t be one of the most successful people on earth. He has a shit ton of money. What else is he doing to do other than to dare his fortune? He can afford to make mistakes.  

The "Everything App" is the next big thing definitely. This is what Meta and Zuck is working on as well. 

I personally do not see a reason why people need to go to YouTube to watch videos. There are many individual creators who built audiences on Twitter who do not have a YouTube channel nor the audience on YT.

Twitter spaces and videos are focusing exactly on this. Even YouTube has enable community posts were people can post things similar to what we post on Twitter and Instagram with pictures and captions. So things are moving in the direction of an everything App.