Raze

The Supreme Court may overturn Roe v Wade according to leak

161 posts in this topic

There is truth to what Leo is saying regarding the ugliness of right-wing/libertarian politics reveals itself and be shown to the general public. In the Australian state of Queensland, a premier (governor) wanted to mine the great barrier reef for christ sake. Safe to say he lost the next election to a moderate left wing party. 

Never been more disgusted to be living in America, and considering the route that the country's taken over the last five or six years, is saying a lot.

Not only is America a barely functioning democracy where an ideological minority representing %20 of the country can roll back half a century's worth of Civil Rights, but it can also be a heartless place to live that's happy to compound any misfortune you may encounter in your life (such as having to terminate a pregnancy for any reason).

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

There is an inversion in American governance where the minority is ruling the majority. This is the fundamental problem right now.

This is largely as the authors of the U.S. constitution have placed safeguards against the will of the majority; Gerrymandering, electoral college, the Senate (Which people could not originally vote for).

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

But honestly, the notion that the Constitution guarantees abortion rights is a pretty sketchy one to me. Realistically that needs to be a Constitutional amendment.

I’ve always thought this too, it always has seemed like a stretch of the Constitution’s privacy clause.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Calm down. This is not fascism.

There is a silver lining to this. The overturning of Roe will be a wake up moment for many liberally minded people. Abortion has something like an 80% approval rating. As the American right-wing shows its true colors on actual policy, that should turn a lot of voters off from the right-wing.

The problem right now is that many voters believe that the left wing and right wing are equally bad. This fallacy can only hold as long as the right wing doesn't enact any major policy. Once the policies start to change, people will realize that the left and right are not equally bad. Right-wing policies are self-correcting because they are usually awful.

What are the features of 'actual' fascism that aren't already present to some degree on the American far Right?

Fascism by necessity adapts itself to the society that it's operating in, so isn't it possible that what we're seeing are elements of fascism being adapted to the American socio-political context?

After all the context and constraints here are quite different than in places like the Germany, Spain, or Japan of 80 years ago, so one would expect the face that fascism wears to be quite different.

After all, literal neo Nazis have figured out how to adapt to a changed cultural landscape by trying to sanitize their ideology, and make it more palatable to modern sensibilities (as evidenced by more benign sounding 'race realism' being used as rhetorical cover for fascist ideology, to list just one example).

I understand that we shouldn't be using fascism as a pejorative, but drawing out some of the parallels that exist seems completely legitimate if done with care (emphasis on the 'if done with care' part).

Edited by DocWatts

After all this, I think personally that we need Bernie Sanders as our president. I mean like come on, look what he did for union and amazon workers, and Elon Musk, and Jeff Bezos are whining about him making them pay taxes, but they're Billionaires, what the fuck are those manipulative extraverted thinkers talking about. There's people who can't pay there bills out here, and they're rich as hell. I don't think they have a right to complain, I mean like come on, think about how those poor people feel, That's on you Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. People gotta pay their bills, and we need the taxes so a dying man/woman can have a heart transplant.

Edited by BuddhistLover

"Reality is a Love Simulator"-Leo Gura

Considering only 19% of the country wants abortion completely illegal, and 20 states are about to completely ban it, I'd say this could be the democrats' saving grace... As horrible as it will temporarily be for women. And humanity.

From a few years back, from a Methodist Pastor with more wisdom and compassion than any on the Right who pushed for this outcome:

D65Y2Y1U8AAnqWO.jpg

2 hours ago, DocWatts said:

What are the features of 'actual' fascism that aren't already present to some degree on the American far Right?

There are elements of fascism within the MAGA movement, but that is not the same as a conservative court decision.

Conservatives gonna conservative. That's not fascism.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

There are elements of fascism within the MAGA movement, but that is not the same as a conservative court decision.

Manchin and Sinema don't want to eliminate or weaken the filibuster to pass a pro-abortion federal law. Sadly, those two heartless democrats won't change their minds about "protecting the filibuster."

However, given both how underrepresented the majority of voters have already been in America for years, undemocratic our system has gotten, and the abuse of the filibuster by the senate Republicans along with Manchin and Sinema, don't you think it's time that the filibuster gets eliminated or at least significantly carved out in some way?

Edited by Hardkill

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Conservatives are anti-freedom, anti-democracy, anti-civil liberties. Conservatives ARE fascists, especially when they back people like Trump.

19 minutes ago, Frylock said:

Conservatives ARE fascists

This is wrong. You're failing to understand the conservative POV due to your lack of awareness of your own biases.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This is wrong. You're failing to understand the conservative POV due to your lack of awareness of your own biases.

Not all conservatives are fascists, but most conservatives in the US have become fascists or are turning into them. 

I wonder if all of the right wing echo chambers will one day lose its grip on its viewers and voters.

6 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Not all conservatives are fascists, but most conservatives in the US have become fascists or are turning into them. 

The difference between someone like John McCain or General Mark Millie (regardless of what you think of thier politics) and someone like Trump or Desantis is a good demonstration of the difference between healthy conservatism and the proto-fascistic direction the Republican Party has decided to embrace.

25 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

most conservatives in the US have become fascists

No they haven't. You are getting misled by your consumption of media.

23 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, except the right wing will not stop there. If they get power in 2024 they will try to pass a law banning it at the federal level.

I really doubt it. It’s one thing to leave it up to states, it’s another to force states to bend to their will, especially when most of the population is pro choice. It would be chaos, and I doubt they could even enforce it because the blue states wouldn’t cooperate. It also  would lead to democrats trying to make abortion legal in all states when they next get a congressional majority.

2 minutes ago, Raze said:

It’s one thing to leave it up to states, it’s another to force states to bend to their will, especially when most of the population is pro choice. It would be chaos,

Don't be gullible. They don't give a fuck about creating chaos. They are religious absolutists.

Hopefully this puts a nail in the coffin of the Bernie or bust ideology.