PepperBlossoms

What does being an adult look like to you?

14 posts in this topic

Ummm.. so my aunt has told me over and over that I act like a child.

What does an adult look like to you and what does a child aged adult look like to you?

If you're stuck at this question, maybe you should go to a kindergarten and observe the children there then make comparisons with the adults.

Generally, children take survival for granted, and at hard times they break quickly. The opposite is true for adults.

As well, seriousness is the resting mode/natural state for adults, but they should be able to occasionally relax, enjoy themselves, and have fun. It's the other way around for children.

Adults can commit to a cause, they have a purpose, they're aware of what they're doing and why they're doing it. Children just play.

In terms of Spiral Dynamics, I think maturity starts at Yellow, especially when compared to Green's naivety.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

In my opinion, the more stable you are, the more adult you are.

@PepperBlossoms being  childish is a personality trait.i also have a childish personality.read the chapter naturals in the book art of seduction by robert greene 

When people say "Be an adult" they mean taking responsibility for your life, being mature. But it's a vague definition. I don't say it's absolutely right or wrong though.

What is an adult in the first place? When do you become an adult? Who decides?

And what is the problem with not being an adult? why being a child is worse?

What does it mean to be a child in the first place?

Edited by Random witch

People that tell you that you act like a child, need to grow up, act like an adult, be more mature...

Are usually jaded people who hate their own lives and have nothing going for them. 

Your aunt sounds like a bitch. Probably got married way too young and is jealous/resentful that her own childhood and younger years were cut short by responsibility.

Never lose your childlike nature. The day that happens is basically like the day you've lost your soul. 

I'm 30 and can do all the responsible stuff, but ultimately I still feel like a 13 year old in an adult body. You can learn to turn "adulting" on only when you need it. Usually just to play adult around other adults.

Having a sense of humor about life doesnt make you a child. And being able to make your bed and do laundry doesnt make you an adult... you can teach kids to do chores too.

Adults are mostly just kids who have been ground down by the world around them and had their spirits crushed. Had all the magic and wonder removed from their lives.

Edited by Yarco

The day you're excited about a trip to IKEA, is the day you have come of age.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Not everyone can get themselves to fit within the same shoe as everyone else and it isn't necessarily fair to try to force it.

I think that a healthy combination of the two is best option. Depends on the situation. The line between a child like and adult behavior is arbitrary. 

9 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

@PepperBlossoms being  childish is a personality trait.i also have a childish personality.read the chapter naturals in the book art of seduction by robert greene 

@itachi uchiha Holy shit.  This book is amazing.

How to be like a child ^

How to grow into an adult/integrate without losing the inner child ^

On 5.3.2022 at 4:05 AM, PepperBlossoms said:

What does an adult look like to you and what does a child aged adult look like to you?

An adult is not a liability but a resource.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I feel like an adult is someone who consciously suffers in their efforts to build their highest self.

A real man gets shit done no matter what, no excuses, no hesitation. No backing down. They have a VISION, and they get to work on it every single day. Like a father puts his children's needs above his own, a good father will have himself starve before his child does. That kind of thing.

The path to Success can be very boring, difficult work, day in and day out, and the adult accepts that.

An adult is able to do some really, really hard stuff.

There's also adulting emotionally, ego work, etc. 9 Stages of Ego development, Spiral Dynamics, etc.

An adult takes responsibility for EVERYTHING in his life.

It starts to get really interesting when you start interacting with people that are much older than you and they're developmentally younger than you. Happens to me ALL the time. It's crazy.

Lots of people's development is just hindered by their lack of shadow work, never integrating any of the trauma they received in their lives. That's HUGE. Most people MASSIVELY underestimate how much shadow work they need to do.

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present.