bmcnicho

Can alcohol be spiritual?

12 posts in this topic

I know alcohol is normally considered anti-spiritual.  Actual psychedelics are obviously a lot better, but sometimes on alcohol I feel a much greater sense of self honesty.  Should I keep drinking for that reason? Or is it ultimately better to stop? Does anyone else feel this way?

Whether you drink alcohol or not is up to you, but it's good to understand what alcohol actually does. It makes your brain release more dopamine and it basically ''paralyses'' the part of your brain responsible for reasoning. That's why you feel so good and authentic.

Putting those positive ends on a scale with the means among all the other negative health effects, I wouldn't replace my faucets with beer taps just yet.

Watch out that you’re justifying drinking alcohol as being spiritual. Notice if you’re being biased. If you’re not alcoholic look at how horrible it can be to be an alcoholic, you don’t want that. Avoid it while you can. 

Alcohol can free you from bad patterns of thinking temporarily. But do you know what does that a lot better, psychedelics (like you say). Psychedelics will bring out the side of you which is blocking self honesty. But this must be matched with contemplation and spiritual practices like Yoga and meditation.

also you have to develop self honesty by being intently aware of when you were being self honest and when you’re not. It’s gonna take time to develop. Love yourself even if you’re not being self honest. Just make sure that you are aware that you’re not being self honest.

Edited by ChrisZoZo

Anyone who says they’re enlightened on this form in anyway is not, except me I am. 

Definitely not, dulls consciousness soooo much, for a while might I add. Stay away from it. Sharpen and increase your baseline level of consciousness with health for your body and mind, drinking prevents you from this. 

3 hours ago, bmcnicho said:

...on alcohol I feel a much greater sense of self honesty.

Try living with an alcoholic who's into the habit of hiding bottles in his own home, under a pile of worn cloths, for example...

But i suppose the delicate fragrances are a spirituality booster, if one is hanging to some branch in a tree.

4 hours ago, bmcnicho said:

I know alcohol is normally considered anti-spiritual.  Actual psychedelics are obviously a lot better, but sometimes on alcohol I feel a much greater sense of self honesty.  Should I keep drinking for that reason? Or is it ultimately better to stop? Does anyone else feel this way?

It can give you that in the sense thst it can put you in touch with your true Self because the anxiety of the ego is gone and the ego is always fighting Truth....but that said it won't allow you to have deep awakenings.  It dulls your consciousness.    Drink in moderation if you are going to do it all.  It will kill your body in the long run.  It's terrible for your health.   For awakenings you want consciousness to be crisp and clear.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

First of all, you do not want to tie your honest with alcohol. This will be a major, major setback in your experience. If you are looking for honesty, just be honest and straight forward. Yes, it will be painful in the beginning but over time your entire experience, self and mind will be shaped around honesty. This creates a very powerful experience, and your self will have integrity and any interaction and communication will benefit from it. 

Secondly, labelling something as spiritual or not is flawed at its core. That is because every distinction you create isn't ultimately true. You are creating distinctions for some purpose, usually survival. You are asking if a alcohol is legit for spiritual growth? Well, it is a mind altering substance, so of course you can contemplate the effects on your mind, and what beliefs and assumption you have that are affected by this substance. However, it certainly lacks clarity and detrimental to the body. So no, I wouldn't regard it as a viable tool for growth. On the contrary, it can lead to very bad roads.

Thirdly, you should examine your use of the distinction "spiritual". Eventually, nothing is spiritual or non-spiritual, because nothing exists. Consciousness is the true nature of existence, and that includes alcohol, avocado, space, time, self, mind, body, the illusion of separateness, any social interaction, any mind altering substance, every possible experience, etc. In short, Consciousness is the nature of every distinction, and it is Absolute Nothing. There some who equate Consciousness with spirit, so you might look at alcohol as a manifestation of spirit (or Consciousness). But every thing that exist is a manifestation, a form, of Consciousness. So ultimately there is no difference between having a drink and going to the club, and consuming Psilocybin and going to nature to contemplate life. It is both and the same - Consciousness takes different form, which is completely meaningless unless you are dreaming that your are some self who is living a personal life, which has meaning.

@bmcnicho   From a philosophical perspective isn't everything spiritual?  Reality in totality is spirituality, yes?  The process from start to finish, not what is deemed "positive," is spirituality.  How can anything not be spiritual?

The awakening process is what it is, customized to each person to be what it needs to be.

Alcohol is what it is, it interacts with the body, mind, & spirit in the ways that it does.

Unfortunately, there isn't formated and rigid path that suits every person.  What your relationship to alcohol is, will be what it will be.  The idea of positive or negative effects can be equally applied to anything.  People can use the "best, most positive," methodologies in an "abusive" way.  The journey they are engaged in.

It is easy to layout a black and white summary of alcohol and its scientific effects on the human form.   What isn't as easy to do is calculate the joy brought from connecting with a group of friends, or maybe that moment your heart was open due to the walls being dropped.

I rarely consume alcohol at this point in my life.  It has provided some important moments in the past.

There are no black and white answers.  I am not advocating and I'm not demonizing.  The hand that hits is the hand that also heals. 

I believe part of the reason why the awakening process is challenging is due to the fact that everything resides within everything, it isn't as much about this or that as it is this is that.  Ultimately the ability to see this or that, this and that, this is that, the ability to see the perspectives simultaneously.

Be honest with yourself about why you use, not as easy as it sounds. 

The attitude of spiritual righteousness some people carry, with their judgments and proclamations can be as detrimental to a person's being as alcohol abuse.  It could even be argued that a humble person who drinks might be preferable to the self-righteous life coach. 

Life is a paradoxical wonder.

Edited by RevoCulture

To me anything can be spiritual. Everything is God, so why not Alcohol?

But you have to use it correctly. It's the abuse that ruins it.

So what I want to say is - Everything is spiritual. You can't do a non-spiritual thing at all. It's impossible.

Edited by mojsterr