preventingdiabetes

How to develop work ethic?

23 posts in this topic

I want to stick to my routine but I often go off track. I want to be consistent. 

How can I develop my work ethic?

Are there any courses or books on how to master work ethic? 

There are so much things that you can try and they won't work because you don't really understand yourself why and how you go off track. Are you capable of that insight? If not, start meditation and become conscious of your internal dynamics. You'll see yourself more clearly.

Your focus on being consistent is good. Make a dreamboard and write consistent on it. Look at it every morning and visualize the present you to be this already. With time you'll notice when you get sidetracked. The thing is that consistent means to continue despite any failures and sidetracks. So keep the eye on the ball.

I think this podcast is a good resource for you: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPNW_gerXa4Pc8S2qoUQc5e8Ir97RLuVW

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

32 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

@Matthew85

32 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

Having goals that inspire you helps a lot. 

I don't have any goals that inspire me. I just have goals that are negatively motivated. Like avoiding wage slavery. 

25 minutes ago, Loving Radiance said:

There are so much things that you can try and they won't work because you don't really understand yourself why and how you go off track. Are you capable of that insight? If not, start meditation and become conscious of your internal dynamics. You'll see yourself more clearly.

Your focus on being consistent is good. Make a dreamboard and write consistent on it. Look at it every morning and visualize the present you to be this already. With time you'll notice when you get sidetracked. The thing is that consistent means to continue despite any failures and sidetracks. So keep the eye on the ball.

I think this podcast is a good resource for you: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPNW_gerXa4Pc8S2qoUQc5e8Ir97RLuVW

@Loving Radiance
I thought the dreamboard was only for things that I want to achieve in my life. I never thought about including traits I desire on itI  too.

@Nahm had told me not to second-guess the wants/desires I have on my dreamboard. I still do it to this day in fear of wasting money when I could've better invested it elsewhere first. E.g. buying a car like a Tesla is a desire that I second-guess because it has low return on investment and its priority is tertiary relative to financial freedom (which is primary for me). 

9 minutes ago, preventingdiabetes said:

I don't have any goals that inspire me. I just have goals that are negatively motivated. Like avoiding wage slavery. 

That is the issue right there. 

by learning to love what u do. do the thing u do with love and stop caring about end result

6 hours ago, preventingdiabetes said:

Yah, that usually doesn't work so well. 

What do you want to create? What brings you joy? What would you do if you were financially free?

9 hours ago, Ya know said:

Embody stage red of spiral dynamics / Root Chakra

Any tips on how to do the spiral dynamics part? 

Anyone who says they’re enlightened on this form in anyway is not, except me I am. 

@Matthew85

16 hours ago, Matthew85 said:

That is the issue right there. 

10 hours ago, flume said:

Yah, that usually doesn't work so well. 

What do you want to create? What brings you joy? What would you do if you were financially free?

@flume

How can I find goals that are positively motivated? I can’t think of any. Or is it just limiting beliefs that don’t even let me consider them?

52 minutes ago, preventingdiabetes said:

Or is it just limiting beliefs that don’t even let me consider them?

@preventingdiabetes You answered your own question. I would suggest you take a close look at all the belief's and assumptions you are buying into. 

@preventingdiabetes I enjoyed leo's episode on ego backlash because it recontextualized things for me, I would be feeling down and self critical for not being perfect, struggling with consistency, etc but its part of the process and completely normal to be up and down with your progress. 

If you look at things from a big picture, think of how far you've come as a person relative to when you first started self development and be proud of yourself for that, accept and love yourself for where you are, but at the same you can have consistency be a goal 

18 hours ago, preventingdiabetes said:

just curious but is your goal to be more consistent to avoid wage slavery as well then? Try focusing your attention on the positive side of things more often, I feel like a lot of it is just mindset and how you are looking at things. Dont make it about what you're avoiding and the negatives, but about what you desire and love about life, what interests you, brings you the feeling of excitement,  the life you see making for yourself.  Leo's life purpose course could be very inspiring for you if you haven't taken it yet theres a whole section on releasing limiting beliefs and values that dont serve you, etc on top of that helping you to find your passion of course if you're still looking for that (which it seems like you are, based on what you said about only being negatively motivated).

I feel like consistency will be hard if theres not something you are passionately working towards, but you could always start small as well and do research on habit formation I watched an episode recently on YT by andrew huberman he gives a lot of good info in his videos

@preventingdiabetes Make it incredibly rewarding

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

15 hours ago, ChrisZoZo said:

Any tips on how to do the spiral dynamics part? 

Train twice a day at the gym. Deadlift / Squat / Chest press / Weighted Chin ups / Overhead Press

Do 2 body parts per session (Except deadlifts)

Chest / Back

Shoulders / Arms

Legs / Abs

Deadlifts

Listen to aggressive music. Don't be concerned with spirituality / love. You have to take a step back to go forward.

Put a photo a Brad Pitt from fight club on your vision board, assimilate the energy from it.

Have a lot of sex.

Become a narcissistic asshole -(then grow out of it)

Become obsessed over Alpha male dominance hierarchy stuff.

Work to become dangerous. Physically and mentally superior to people.

Don't meditate. 

Let aggression take over your life. See the world as winners / losers.

Become egocentric and selfish as fuck. Never let anyone disrespect you without repercussions. 

Be willing to fight at any opportunity. The threat of violence should underpin any interaction with anyone.

Try to dominate everyone you interact with. Look at them and think ''I can kill you''.

Eat heaps of meat. Chicken / Spinach should be your go to. Primal diet.

Intermittent fast, only eat between 12pm-8pm, get lean athletic.

Dress well, stylish, outstanding. Flaunt you best features without any concern for conceit or pride.

Wake up early and go directly to the gym. Then go again later in the day.

Use as much hate, ego, evil, cortisol, desire, greed, passion as you can to pursue your goals. Embrace the dark side.

Have no empathy or compassion for others, care only about yourself and how you can get ahead.

Watch prison culture obsessively, see how yards are run, how order is established, why, how to get ahead.

Learn about Chimpanzee societies, learn about Alpha males.

I know this stuff seems ''bad'' and depending on where you look, it is. The good thing about it being bad is that 80% of the people you interact with don't have these demons, nor have they tamed them. So once you go through the journey of becoming a monster and extracting the energy from it after transcending into blue, you will have a stronger foundation to succeed in life.

''I have often laughed at weaklings who thought they were good because they had no claws'' - Nietzsche.

(80 percent of humanity who pretend to be kind because they have no power)

After a good 3/5 months of doing this you will get burnt out, realize the error of your ways and be transformed into Blue.

Edited by Ya know

Find out what you desire in life, work on your physical and mental health, and do your day's work when you're the most alert and relaxed. Work ethic is just a means to an end, and it requires a firm baseline of vitality and resilience.

I've found that it works both ways: implementing some basic structure into your life increases your mental health. Habits are efficient and simple. They outsource articulated mental activity ("self-talk") to inarticulated behavior patterns and long-term-oriented self-regulation strategies.

For example, If you cheat on your schedule or even procrastinate for just a few moments, you will spend a lot of mental energy thinking about it, which is completely inefficient, as you will have to do that work sooner or later anyway if you're going to achieve your goals.

I've also started to be very disciplined in immediately taking notes on my phone whenever I notice any repetitive thoughts regarding some upcoming task (e.g. work ideas or grocery shopping plans), because once I write it down, the thoughts stop, which saves me from a lot of mental noise.

Likewise, if I have some thoughts pertaining to personal stuff where I feel I need to express something (e.g. set boundaries or fix some disagreement), I will try to do that as soon as possible instead of endlessly thinking about it and eventually ending up repressing and ignoring it.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Just do what you said you'd do.  

It's actually really simple.

Ya, you cam speak abojt motivation n stuff and getting ckear on what you more deeply want.  This can help a lot.  Also eliminating limiting beliefs.  Diet.  Etc.  The whole gamut.

But ultimately, it's pretty simple:  when you say you're going to do something, you do it, and you do it to the best of your abilities.  If you set a time you're going to work with no distractions, you do it.  Or you don't do it.  No special formula.  Or if you'te at a job, you do it to the best of your abilities and work hard.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

There also exists various empirically supported techniques for establishing habits and goal-commitment that health psychologists use to help patients with chronic illnesses with compliance to treatment, like implementation intentions and mental contrasting.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Ya know

Remember when giving advice you should ask yourself "did this only help me personally or is this thing that works for everyone". I get vibes that there were some personal problems that needed the approach you did and that is perfectly fine, but consider that what you told may not help everyone to get to place where they want to go.

Before giving extreme solutions to people's life, you need to know that individual personally, because there could be many variables that could change the outcome of your advice to something horrible. For example if you didn't know where imaginary Christoffer would like to go how could you help him to find path to his destination.

That what is someone's trash may be another's treasure and vice versa.

Who told you that "others" are real?

@preventingdiabetes

How would you stick to routine that tolds you to eat sweets, lay on the sofa and watch your favourite movies from Netflix?

Easily, because you would like to do that thing anyways, so the question that you should ask instead is how could I make that what I do more enjoyable or what other things I could do that would be so enjoyable that I wouldn't need to push myself to do it, because I would love to do it anyways <3

Pro tip in life is to do everything in sake of it being simply awesome and not to do it in order to get something else from it : )

Who told you that "others" are real?