StarStruck

The ultimate gender case study: putting 10k women on an island

15 posts in this topic

It would be interesting to see what would happen. Women always say that society would be a much peaceful place if there were no men. This would be the perfect storm to prove if that is true or not.

My prediction is that the island would be in total chaos without masculine structure. Perhaps the first few years would be OK but the women on the island would quickly develop some grudges against each other and there would be total death and destruction, without males who usually provide the structure in society.

The phrase "Women are their own worst enemies" would come to full embodiment after few years on the island:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/nov/18/women-own-worst-enemies-study

Would it shut up the extreme(!) feminists and the man hating? Probably not. They would find excuses but it would be interesting case study.

The rules:

• Totally self-sustaining island for 10 years
  • Fresh water source is provided but other than that they have to build they own crops
  • No housing and so on: they have to build it themselves
  • No leaving the island prematurely
  • No imports of avocado's and shit
  • No males are allowed on the island, also not for partying and shit

In Tate we trust

24 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

My prediction is that the island would be in total chaos without masculine structure

It would be the exact same result with men, its just human nature when its in a difficult survival situation. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Something Funny just a mix of all spiral dynamics stages so that it is representative of the female world population. 

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

It would be the exact same result with men, its just human nature when its in a difficult survival situation. 

I don't know why some people are butt hurt. 

In the past males were in the army for 10 years and there is enough evidence how a male dominated environment works. 

It would just be interesting to see how a female society would work out. It has never been tested. 

In Tate we trust

Someone tell me please, what exactly is the point of this subtly sexist thread? Showing that men are somehow superior to women in that they can sustain themselves without them? I doubt it...

2 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

In the past males were in the army for 10 years and there is enough evidence how a male dominated environment works. 

That's not the same as an island with a population of 10K men. After a point they'd probably tear each other to pieces...

There is nothing sexist about this topic. If you think there is you need to explain it. 

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

35 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

I don't know why some people are butt hurt. 

It would just be interesting to see how a female society would work out. It has never been tested. 

Whats butthurt about my comment? 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

We don't live on the stupid islands any more so whatever that study found would be irrelevant for us. 

But here is the video that shows what you want to see. 

Of course men have thicker skin, more muscle and so on so they will have an easier time. 

What we don't know is how much the results here are influenced by culture. 

If you had a culture that pushed girls to play with toys that are used in the wild and then repressed the same thing in boys the girls would end up better even with less muscles.

Edit: ups this is not the original video. 

It had the most views so i just clicked it. 

Edited by Opo

I do not really see the point of the hypothetical experiment, except if it is for fun.

In most realistic situations people lived in mixed communities and divided tasks as needed.

It turns out that most of survival requires physical strength, endurance or resistance. Which men had more of, so they did the activities that required those attributes, as women cared more about the household, distribution of food, taking care of people, we all know this, its not rocket science, is probably not worth repeating around. It would be wise to add the common pregnancy periods into the mix too, as babies and children died often, so more had to be produced if the tribe is to survive.

History is a monument of men and women cooperating to meet survival needs and it was brutal on both ends.
Which is one of the reasons why I don't buy 90% of the "patriarchy" narrative that you mentioned. These ideas can come only out of modern people isolated from "real" survival. A way to heal this of would be a just few days of camping in the woods with a mixed crew.

Edited by Yog

In terms of survival and structure i think men are going to just be better, but imagine the next generation without the nuture and care of women, there would be a lot of problems. So obviously for a functioning healthy society you need both and thats why we've evolved as such. I think the problem comes in with the framing of this, so if you put one as more important than the other or even that theyre the same and try and flatten the structure. I dont see why now theres a problem with saying men are generally better at some things and women are generally better at some things. 

Thinking about it, it could be how male traits were made to look a lot more cool, like being independent, working, providing etc, so now women or society sees being equal as women doing what men do. Would be interesting if it was always matriarch system and you had men fighting to do more caring jobs lol. But it goes to show how its all really perception.

Heres another tv show that tried the experiment btw, obviously low numbers so it wouldnt be statistically significant but interesting anyway 

Edited by Consept

Women aren't tough enough to kill. They're selfish and ruthless, but in subtler ways than men.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@StarStruck

Dude this is a bad thread.

I get that some feminists are angry at men and devalue us. And that can be triggering for us guys because we want to be valued.

But this is not a solution, nor would it prove anything.

Good luck getting any random 10k people dropped on an island to create a functioning society. 

No crypto-sexist bait threads.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.