Aleksandar

How To End Laziness...

17 posts in this topic

I have been struggling with laziness almost my entire life especially in domain of studying. It's been a 6 years and I haven't had a SINGLE successful studying session. I will try to study, my attention will wander, I will get sleepy, my head will get foggy, I will have an actual physical reaction to studying and in the end I will fail. My high school results were poor, now my college is getting shitty, long term consequences are slowly starting to get me. Sometimes I doubt that I am learning disabled and my self-esteem suffers as a result. I have willpower to sit in meditation for hour or two without moving a finger, yet no method, no technique, no tips & tricks can help me do a simple 30 minutes studying session. Any suggestions on what should I do? I would like to hear from someone who had similar experiences and thanks.

So true xD

Whenever you think of doing something, ACTION, NOW !

It works, just don't think, DON'T THINK !

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Aleksandar Maybe what you study now is not what you should do? Don't you get lazy simply because the content of your studies does not spark any interest in you?  What do you really want to learn or do at this stage of your life? 

Just be lazy. Laziness is really good sometimes.

I suggest you to study who you are. Study different personality profiles and models. Discover your strengths and weaknesses. There are many great books and other materials to find.

I myself discovered that schools isn't really my thing. I am learning more by doing nothing and just being lazy.

Do as Finnish students, study less, and go climb a tree and have fun:

@Alicja_ I am studying software engineering and ironically that is something that interests me the most but I can't find willpower to study it. One of the problems is that I have high interests and passion for certain subjects but this "studying disease" just blocks me mentally and slowly shit in my life is starting to pile up because of my laziness. Well at this stage of life I am supposed to acquire education, practical life skills, money and independence, all the bullshit that we are all forced to do because of this overmaterialistic society and I would rather just drive my car aimlessly entire day, preferably away from civilization...

You talk about how when you study, you are not able to have successful study sessions and I might be able to help you here. The best way to study succesfully is remove every single fucking distraction you have when you study. No tv, no food, no smartphone, no cat, no TV, nothing. You need to "get in the zone" and you can't do that if you are distracted by everything but the thing you are studying see? 

In "becoming a straight A student, Cal Newport has a formula which is: 

work accomplished=time spent x intensity of focus

Ideally, you want to focus on getting more focused in your study session. 

Essentially, try to find a quiet place to study and calm your mind in the process to do this. It is really quite simple...

Also I don't like being a victim. I have taken full responsibility for myself and must admit that laziness and lack of studying are my greatest weaknesses. I haven't found a method to fix it yet. If someone had similar experiences and overcame it successfully, please share the story...

@Aleksandar Why does software engineering interest you? Where will it lead you in life?

8 minutes ago, Aleksandar said:

I would rather just drive my car aimlessly entire day, preferably away from civilization...

So why don't you do it? Or you could do as I, be unemployed and live on savings and discover yourself.

@Aleksandar I'd recommend using the 'Flow' diagram to assess how you can enter the flow state when doing your work, whatever the case happens to be, adapt to doing your work in a way that accounts for the imbalances that prevent you from entering flow with it. Also consider your preferred style of studying, you might be quite creative and enjoy using and presenting your work in such a way, or you may enjoy teaching it to someone else etc.

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Aleksandar said:

Also I don't like being a victim. I have taken full responsibility for myself and must admit that laziness and lack of studying are my greatest weaknesses. I haven't found a method to fix it yet. If someone had similar experiences and overcame it successfully, please share the story...

For me it takes like a day to read one page in a book. I read quite slowly. Sometimes I can read fast, but mostly I read slowly.

Luckily I went to school in Sweden. The school environment is creative and not so focused on "information absorbing", so I had top grades. But when I went on to university I had to quit my studies, because I couldn't be myself in that environment.

@Aleksandar

If you need a degree, then train your willpower and collect some bag of tricks to study matters that you really don't need.

If, on the other hand, if you need skills then study by yourself. No exams no shit just do the projects you want to and learn how to do them.

Edited by Time Traveler

@Aleksandar  I struggle with your problem everyday too. My solution was doing what zen monks do. Try to do what I want to do with total awareness. Focusing on the task and doing it without thinking other thing. 

I think the key is focus. The mind wants to focus on other stuff more "fun" and distract us. It takes time, but it can be done. I am seeing improvements. I am not going to tell you that is easy, but if you continue doing it you will see the fruits.

There's an article about that, how Zen monks find interesting cleaning the temple, cooking and doing the daily chores.

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/home/what-buddhists-can-teach-us-about-household-chores 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I'm pretty sure the parts of the brain that are strengthened doing meditation are different to those required for studying.  Go back to basics. Have a plan of how much you will study each day and start small.  Each week increase it by an amount that isnt very noticeable and stick to it.

On 12/30/2016 at 10:12 AM, abrakamowse said:

Try to do what I want to do with total awareness.

Sorry, I made I mistake I should have written "Try to do what YOU want to do..."

Not "I"

Lol 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

How To End Laziness...

The Game of Laziness.

Step one, reading (downloading) this article, so you can work with it, that will lead to installation.

Problem of laziness. Laziness is the you parasite that prevents one from adaptation to ones true goals.

Are you really lazy? I don't see anyone that is lazy. At its source no one is actually lazy, there is only duty. So this means you being the character you  believe to be in the game can advance.
   You are not actually lazy, you are actively sitting with the results of your previous deeds, that prevent you to adapt properly at the new given situations although having the same goal, studying. This behavior of denial that you call laziness, is the denial of not actively adapt to the new situation with the same goal you already have, which is studying.
   Your previous actions, were actions, which did not include proper shaping the right mindset with a proper framework. As a result, you therefor cannot see that it is actually because you were not consciously working with a proper framework to achieve your goals. This results in not getting what you actually want, and this results in having a goal that requires a right mindset which you don't work with, which leads in its turn to a weak set up of mind, with its cause that is lack of energy. The lack of energy happens because you don't attracted the right information as a download upon your "system" mind, but prefer other information that is unwholesome, not stimulating, not fitting with the mindset needed to achieve your goal.
And this leads into denial of adaptation while having a goal that requires much effort, which sucks  you empty, and now due to this the following happens: this vicious cycle is now banging at the door with its results, and you are actively realizing that this is not seeming to stop.

Now, you are already willing to refrain, the intent is there, you came to this forum and have the guts to write down your little silly game of laziness. Which is the first step that you already took right now. But make it more conscious, write down your results after reading all comments here, and save them.

2. Be active lazy. Do anything you are doing now, actively. Watch actively TV etc, and keep yourself active while doing these things.
3. Tired enough? Good, refrain from unwholesome information, bye bye TV and gaming and other not stimulating information sources, and attract and participate in sources that are actively stimulating like this forum. And meditate on your own death (realizing you are wasting time).
4. Food addiction, wrong foods, drinking soda's that bombard the system, away with it! Bring back much eating.
5. Actively reflect everyday, how this is resulting into good results that you will directly be able to relate to your previous actions of ending bad behavior, not fitting to a proper mindset. This gives energy, you are starting to see life in you.. Write this down everyday on and on.
6. Energy leads to happiness... accumulate the things you do, refraining from wrong information, to have more energy and more happiness.
7. This leads to finally understanding that you can turn bad behavior by action leading to results, you become calm.
8. Finally you can concentrate on the things you love to do, the vicious cycle (program) is broken, you actively adapt now, and keep building upon this as it leads again to positive results, while being in action that again leads to results, and so on.

There is no one lazy, there is just the law, actions, leading to its proper results, learn to deal with this, make peace with yourself not understanding this, and move on!

Game on Aleksander!

YOUR key: Be active lazy, tiring yourself of yourself.

Edited by Aware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBDIoLi3C4 Ahayah Ashar Ahayah, chant and be free!

I dont think you are lazy! You finished high school, even though it was a struggle. Thats alot of work, way to go. Now you are in collage in software programming, thats motivation, and you are doing something you like, you even know what you like, thats great too. I know you will push on and finish all of this work because you did it before. It all makes sense for your life, you can get everything you wanted and everyone will be proud--but. You also seem to want to get away from it all, civilization disgusts you but you want to program its software? OK, still, I can totally understand. Civilization is all you have, programming is what your generation is supposed to do for it. But you can feel it, something is all wrong, you are supposed to want all of this planned life but you know you dont. Interesting, well lets get to the point, today you have to find out how to study and make it fun. 

I think you have a condition where reading makes you sleepy. I have the same thing. 2 or 3 pages in and my head starts to bob. The only time this changes for me is when I was no longer in school and started reading novels that really interested me. I naturally began to build up the ability to read 5, 10, 15, 30 pages without feeling tired. Maybe we dont sleep enough, maybe we read at night instead of during the day when we could. I dont know but it makes my eyes go crossed if I am not fully interested, just hurting to read on and find out what happens next. 

I finished highschool then went to university when I was 32, I was so much smarter and better at it than I would have been coming right out of highschool. And I got to do a whole lot of uncivilized things in the meantime. I hadnt wasted any time and I rocked my studies, Im actually an honour student now.