diamondpenguin

Why does gravity exist

35 posts in this topic

I was thinking about it today, and I couldn't help but wonder: Why does gravity exist? Does anybody know? 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

When you ask why you are really just asking for words to feed on. 

No one knows why, and anyone who fools you into thinking he/she knows is fooling themselves. 

In fact you are the one who dictates who knows the answer to your question, it's up to you to give someone credibility.

@Fearless_Bum But, have done any thinking about it, why it's a thing. Do think if we change how we feel, gravity will cease to exist? Like if we all change the way we feel about the universe, will gravity end? 

@diamondpenguin if you stop the pattern of trying to change how you feel, act, etc. Then gravity along with all the beliefs you have including the universe will end immediately. 

^ notice the paradox and limitation of language, you also can't stop trying to change the pattern, so good luck ?.

Edited by Fearless_Bum

1 hour ago, diamondpenguin said:

I was thinking about it today, and I couldn't help but wonder: Why does gravity exist? Does anybody know? 

I had an idea about gravity during the come up of a psychedelic trip lol.  Can't say it is right but it sounded cool.  

Stuff seems to be attracted to stuff similar to itself both in the material sense and in the abstract sense.

Material sense - Mass appears to be attracted to like mass. Stuff with lots of mass tends to go to other stuff of similar mass and stuff with less mass than that tends to go to the other stuff with less mass and the stuff with even less mass tends to go to the other stuff with less mass.  For the masses to be able to go to the "partners" that they want to go to, everyone has to be able to redistribute themselves so that everyone is happy.  Hence the most maseous stuff tends to be in a "center" and around that is the next maseous and then around that is the least maseous - hence everyone is happy and where they want to be.  If one is not happy, hence not with the right mass group, it will very quickly rearrange via gravity till it is.

Abstract sense - We tend to be attracted to people who look like us, talk like us, think like us, has similar values, problems, experiences, backgrounds, goals, geographical location, work, work styles, ideology, age, gender, ego development, spiral dynamics stage, activities, religions, body weight, perspectives, species, etc.  You will see that the cliques act and dress the same.  The people in the religions tend to think the same.  Couples tend to be similar in some way.  There tends to be some commonality that creates some binding.  Ants hangout with ants, birds hangout with birds, people hangout with people.  You don't really ever see people hanging out with cockroaches for instance as they look and act quite differently from each other.  A 20 year old girl tends to not hangout with a 70 year old man because the age, gender, and life circumstances create much difference.

We may feel turned off when there is too much perceived difference/disconnect and want to leave - hence moving away from each other, hence demagnetized.

When we get angry at each other, we may tend to not be seeing the situation "the same" and we push apart.  When we are in agreement, we tend to be closer and see the situation "similarly".

We could even make ourselves look more like something else so that we "fit in better" and are magnetized better (and hence have less difference) with whatever it is we are trying to fit in with - whether that means making our business look like all the other businesses of that type, getting our knowledge to catch up to the knowledge of the people we admire, getting our sports skills to be of similar level to those we want to compete with, etc.

If we look at distinctions, we may create some imaginary walls and say that that stuff is all the same and fits within that distinction.  Well all the stuff within that distinction tend to be "like" each other.

Again, this could all be total bs but meh.  Could also just look up the physics explanation..

https://web.fscj.edu/Milczanowski/psc/lect/Ch2/sl13.htm#:~:text=Gravitational force -an attractive force,distance between the two objects.

Edited by PepperBlossoms

2 minutes ago, diamondpenguin said:

@PepperBlossoms That's deep, and I get you. You're saying gravity is an act of infinite love. 

@diamondpenguinyeah sure

some other bs I came up with just now - (it can be fun to come up with bs to explain the universe and then come up with themes)

everything appears to be wanting everything to have the best time and so we tend to want everything to be where it wants to be with what it loves... with what it tends to be attracted to.. with what it tends to be similar to... so it automatically moves to whatever it tends to be the closest to which then lets it get out of the way of other stuff that wants to be close to other stuff

it tends to be hard to break tradition because we are attracted to what we are used to, to what we see;

when we change our identity/self, it changes what we are attracted to and what is attracted to us.

but then there may always something that seems different that can't help itself from being different and the group tends to reject it so it tends to get separated but then more stuff may come along that seems to be different too and the rejects join because they are similar in that they were rejected and we get evolution

we don't want to die because we tend to be attracted to survival because we appear to be more like life than a dead body in our current state..

we don't want a moment of rejection because we tend to be so accustomed to acceptance of every moment

We may do whatever it takes to keep a relationship going, to stay in the same city, to eat the same food, to keep a habit, to keep a perspective, to keep a mood, to keep a dogma, etc. because we are so attracted to what we are used to/like/become.

Someone who sees the negative side to everything may tend to stay that way and vice versa with a positive person.  One is so accustomed and familiar with seeing the negative that they choose to continue to do so even when seeing the positive is an option too (same goes with dogma or whatever).  The longer someone goes with seeing something one way, the harder it may be to change their mind as they may have more and more connections to seeing it that one way that the "gravity" is strong.

One may choose to pay for the more expensive item because they are so used to that even if a cheaper option exists.

We may stay at a company for so many years even if it is toxic and doesn't pay well as we are so used to the repetition.

There has to be a notice of great division (whatever that may be, value system, goals, situation, perspective) that makes us feel more different and hence want to leave the status quo/current condition.

@PepperBlossoms Now you're givin' us some words to feed on, some theory to sift through. So in order to figure out why gravity works it boils down to why do we feel more attracted to being alive, rather than dead. Why do you think that is?

7 hours ago, diamondpenguin said:

Why does gravity exist? Does anybody know? 

Depends at which level you talking. If you're talking language then "gravity" is just a concept/word overlayed onto experience.

My pet pseudo-scientific theory, is that masses break the symmetry of the universe. This causes acceleration in other masses by skewing the probabilities of their positions over time (probably at a quantum level), due to them wanting to decrease the asymmetry. Two masses in one place have more symmetry than two masses in two different places. But what do I know?

All stories and explanations are false.

So we dont float off into space.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

There is this really interesting guy who does vidoes on Youtube and I think he knows lol here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/user/kathodosdotcom 

Gravity is a field modality perturbation.. I know. It's basically the "ether" coming in contact with the "ether" and creating a counter-space. It's like negative space pretty sure. And so space wants to move into it. Very interesting.

You can ask this question of literally any thing.

The answer will always be INFINITY.

You cannot understand how any one thing can exist without realizing that all possible things must exist within INFINITY.

So the simple answer is: any thing exists because EVERYTHING exists.

Consciousness is an Infinite Mind which imagines every possible thing that could ever be imagined.

Gravity just so happens to be one of those things.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura But somehow this answer doesn't seem quite satisfactory. Gravity does not just exist anywhere floating around without any context. It is one thread in the tapestry of what we call a 'physical universe' (even if it is not physical). The whole thing is not random (fine tuning-argument). Gravity does a certain job and without that specific job being fulfilled we or anything else wouldn't be here. So I guess the question that I am trying to get at is not 'why does gravity exist?' but 'why does gravity exist in the very way that it does?'. Infinity is cool but it doesn't feel like God is just churning out every random thing just because it is part of infinity. So what I think I want to get to is that there is some kind of Will behind the universe and that this Will (by definiton) has a certain aim and that that aim can be reached via this universe which necessitates the specific (strength of) gravity that we have. (???)

apropos 'not every random thing' - could you make a video about harmony and beauty? what, how, and why it is?

@Leo Gura since everything exists,does this mean that there is a world somewhere where hogwarts is real,and im(my ego)is  a student there,and instead of ron weasley im harries best friend and i end up getting tortured and  killed by voldemort? If literally everything concievable this must be too right? (Srs question)

Edited by Ineedanswers

You have to specify what kind of question you're asking. "Why?" can mean a million different things.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

39 minutes ago, Petals said:

Infinity is cool but it doesn't feel like God is just churning out every random thing just because it is part of infinity.

Anything which seems to 'exist' arises in the same way, as imagined 'relative' duality, which is why it doesn't seem 'random'.  For every up there's a down, otherwise 'up' doesn't 'exist'.  'Existence' is a process of 'imagined duality' always in flux, never static, coming together and falling apart, unifying and dividing.

Einstein seemed to grasp this in his theory of Relativity, which is also considered to be 'a theory of gravity'. 

Gravity is relative.. but it appears constant to you.

One example of relativity is to imagine two people on a train playing ping-pong. The train is traveling at around 30 m/s north. When the ball is hit back and forth between the two players, the ball appears to the players to move north at a speed of around 2 m/s and then south at the speed of 2 m/s. Now imagine someone standing beside the railroad tracks watching the ping-pong game. When the ball is traveling north it will appear to travel at 32 m/s (30 m/s plus 2 m/s). When the ball is hit in the other direction, it still appears to travel north, but at a speed of 28 m/s (30 m/s minus the 2 m/s). To the observer by the side of the train, the ball always appears to be traveling north.

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You can ask this question of literally any thing.

The answer will always be INFINITY.

You cannot understand how any one thing can exist without realizing that all possible things must exist within INFINITY.

So the simple answer is: any thing exists because EVERYTHING exists.

Consciousness is an Infinite Mind which imagines every possible thing that could ever be imagined.

Gravity just so happens to be one of those things.

@Leo Gura Ok, so gravity exists because reality is absolutely infinite. That's so cute Leo, and I love how all your ideas are straightforward with no fluff. Like I instantly get what you're saying. But to be honest with you, that has me wondering like: Why does everything exist and why is it INFINITE? Like what is the driving force that made everything INFINITE? 

13 hours ago, diamondpenguin said:

For itself.  Just like red is red.   Would you be asking about gravity if it didn't exist?

Infinity is itself.  There is nothing outside of it.  If u get this at the level of Being it will be awakening :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.