kamwalker

What do you consider a wage slave job?

22 posts in this topic

Almost every single fucking job is a wage slave ass job. If you aren't working for a wage then its not a job its a hobby or passion where you just happen to get paid lol. If you are primarily working for a wage then that's a wage slave job

@kamwalkerdepends on the perspective of the employee.

if you are working for the wage and keep working only to avoid being fired, then any job will be a wage job. you will be working only  for the money!

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

Any job where you convince yourself you can't quit even if you wanted to 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Most jobs would fall into the category of wage slave jobs but it doesn't mean all jobs exchanged for regular income are bad. Many people genuinely enjoy their work despite receiving monthly standard income and others who work for themselves are still dependant on regular influx of money hence the margin between being and not being a wage slave is very thin (if any). You could argue that a professional football player is still a wage slave and so is a successful self-made entrepreneur.

Maybe the term is being demonised a little bit too much on the forum as if it was bad to get paid in exchange for a service or product you offer. It is extremely difficult not to do that in one way or another even if one is self-employed if you want to survive in society and have a decent standard of living. 

What is more important is whether your job is destroying your soul and making you sick or whether you enjoy it and feel sense of purpose and direction. You could have an unhappy and depressed senior director in fortune 500 company earning 16K a month and you could have a happy and fulfilled lady working at a local charity store earning minimum wage. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Michael put it nicely.

In a way, survival in itself is wage slavery. But when it come to your job, it's very personal and dependent on what it feels to you deeper inside.

A job in itself has a different meaning to every one of us. Some people demand that their job aligns with their values 99% or otherwise they feel like wage slaves, whereas others can sacrifice more of that and get the value connection from other life aspects.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:09 AM, Michael569 said:

Most jobs would fall into the category of wage slave jobs but it doesn't mean all jobs exchanged for regular income are bad. Many people genuinely enjoy their work despite receiving monthly standard income and others who work for themselves are still dependant on regular influx of money hence the margin between being and not being a wage slave is very thin (if any). You could argue that a professional football player is still a wage slave and so is a successful self-made entrepreneur.

Maybe the term is being demonised a little bit too much on the forum as if it was bad to get paid in exchange for a service or product you offer. It is extremely difficult not to do that in one way or another even if one is self-employed if you want to survive in society and have a decent standard of living. 

What is more important is whether your job is destroying your soul and making you sick or whether you enjoy it and feel sense of purpose and direction. You could have an unhappy and depressed senior director in fortune 500 company earning 16K a month and you could have a happy and fulfilled lady working at a local charity store earning minimum wage. 

Yeah I agree. My reason for starting this thread was to kind of show that the term wage slave really only applies if you choose to see your work that way. Exchanging service for money is necessary in today's society. Not everyone can work for themselves. 

For me, wage slavery is working any job you despise for the sake of paying bills.

It's not about the job...it's your relationship to it.

@Rilles That was funny as hell man. But it's really good, because it opens people to accept how they really feel about they're lives, which is where life starts. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

17 hours ago, diamondpenguin said:

@Rilles That was funny as hell man. But it's really good, because it opens people to accept how they really feel about they're lives, which is where life starts. 

By that point it could already be too late, but he could go from doomer to bloomer, there is always hope.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Wage slave is most jobs where you need to work to survive.

But, they aren't all bad especially if you put yourself in jobs where you develop skills that can be applied to your eventual escape. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Having a profession you don't like and not having the guts to quit to pursue your passion.

I paint abstract art. Check out my website and let me know what you think.

https://www.galleriabstrakt.se/collections/all

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

It's not rocket science.

Wage slave = slave for money.

Sample sentence: Elon Musk is a wage-slave.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

2 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Elon Musk is a wage-slave.

4 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

@Rilles Don't let your beliefs limit you.

"a person who is wholly dependent on income from employment, typically employment of an arduous or menial nature."

Elon is by definition not a wage slave. He could retire right now and not have to worry about money ever again.

8 minutes ago, Rilles said:

He could retire

Except that he couldn't. He's caught up in the rat race like most people ==> Wage slave. It's an example of theory contradicting practice.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

2 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Except that he couldn't. He's caught up in the rat race like most people ==> Wage slave. It's an example of theory contradicting practice.

If you want to change the definitions of words thats fine, I cant stop you.