Alysssa

What is impulsiveness

27 posts in this topic

and when it's a problem?

“My meditation is simple. It does not require any complex practices.

It is simple. It is singing. It is dancing. It is sitting silently”

OSHO

Impulsiveness is pure authenticity. But there's always negative connotations around it. We have to live by rules; pure authenticity is without rules and restrictions. Impulsiveness is unregulated and dangerous, which is why new forms of impusiveness are always checked and frowned upon. Impulsiveness is creativity.

Ever done anything impulsive and regretted it afterwards?

Impulsiveness is always a problem. But we need it to be free.

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

Impulsiveness is acting rashly without considering the long term effects of your actions. 

Edited by hyruga

As @LastThursday said, impulsiveness is pure authenticity. But I would also like to add is that those tendencies are not fixed. We can change what we do when we are purely authentic. I mean that happens naturally as you grow. If you truly understand violence let's say, instead of impulsively hitting someone because you can't make a point, you may want to impulsively hug them or any other gesture. Some impulsions are harder to change than others because they are way harder to understand, for eg. Sexual attraction. Pure authenticity isn't always a problem. It depends on what your impulsiveness makes you do, and if those actions fit with the kind of environment you are live in. For eg. If you live alone in the mountains, and your impulsive behaviors align with that kind of environment, then it's not a problem at all to be purely authentic. 

In normal settings with lots of people in our day to day life, it doesn't matter if we are purely authentic or not, there is always someone who has a problem with how we act. You can't fully align what you do impulsively with the kind of society we are in. You can only make your impulsions in such a way that they don't land you in jail or some list lol. I recommed aligning your impulsions in a way that they are geared towards truth and more importantly blissful love.

@LastThursday Pure authenticity. Interesting definition.

I heard people saying that authenticity it's to actualize yourself and striving to be better version beyond your impulses. if I understood it right. What do you think?

@hyruga I'll watch it

@Swarnim So you saying that Impulsiveness is good or bad related to circumstances? That makes sense. 

I recommed aligning your impulsions in a way that they are geared towards truth and more importantly blissful love.

What does it mean? 

OSHO

impulse is trusting the body spontaneity is trusting the heart

impulse is instinct, insight ... spontaneity is inspiration, intuition

both can be good

impulse you are taking charge and doing the work, the latter your spirit is moving you to action

similar to the difference between react and respond

how do we know which is better?

only in retrospect in reflection will you know if what you did was done on behalf of the body/mind or of the spirit/soul

body should be listened to, spirit should be listened to

1 hour ago, Alysssa said:

I heard people saying that authenticity it's to actualize yourself and striving to be better version beyond your impulses.

Actualising yourself does involve being more authentic. And, being more authentic involves expressing your natural impulses more, because being inauthentic is about suppressing the impulses. If you let loose and just openly express your impulses as they arise, then you're being purely authentic.

It's never really possible to be totally authentic though. We have to live in society with all sorts of rules and things you can't do or say; some impulsive behaviour goes against those rules. Also, impulsions, whilst authentic, are often short term and in the moment or don't take account of the bigger picture; so they can end up being detrimental in the long run. Sometimes you have to work against your impulsions and authenticity to actualise more fully.

Your impulses will only ever manifest whatever stage of development you're at: impulses will change over time.

Edited by LastThursday

impulsive makes mistakes and has regrets, spontaneous is living your best fullest life, god is in charge

What does it mean?

@Alysssa Basically what @gettoefl said. To be spontaneous. 

Natural impulse becomes about the love of life. Gotta rewire the brain that hard.

Impulsiviness in my definition is an subconscious goal seeking. Like in form of an addiction, the goal is to run away from the pain you're experiencing. And the level of consciousness is determining how impulsive or unconscious one's behaviour is. 

Love is the truth, love, love, love.❤️

On 4/9/2021 at 9:29 PM, LastThursday said:

Impulsiveness is pure authenticity. But there's always negative connotations around it. We have to live by rules; pure authenticity is without rules and restrictions. Impulsiveness is unregulated and dangerous, which is why new forms of impusiveness are always checked and frowned upon. Impulsiveness is creativity.

Impulsiveness is always a problem. But we need it to be free.

It is the complete opposite of authenticity.
Impulsiveness is the maximum manifestation of the EGO out of control, nothing is further from our true calm essence that existed in a true perpetual peace and in a state of contemplation.

Edited by Gonzalo

On 9/4/2021 at 8:29 PM, LastThursday said:

Impulsiveness is always a problem. But we need it to be free.

Couldn't have said it better.

Is impulsiveness always means pure authenticity? 

What is authenticity at all? 

Imagine 2 scenarios:

1. You walk on the street and you see a parent abuses his child, everyone on the street pretend as if they didn't notice it. Lets assume that you are this type of person who hates children and you usually don't care about children, but this time you look at this child and he remains you something that you really love, you don't know why but you have the impulse to protect this child so you screaming on his parent for abusing his own child. 2 days ago you saw another parent who abused his child but it didn't affect you emotionally so you did nothing about it.

2. You walk on the street and you see a parent abuses his child, again, everyone on the street pretend as nothing happening but you believe that it's wrong, It one of your core values: Never hurt someone who can't protect himself. Every time you see someone who can't protect himself, like a child who get abused by his parent, you take an action. You approach to the child's parent calmly but assertively and say: "I called to the police, don't dare to hurt this child again" or something like that, the main point is that you figuring out the situation with calm mind.

In what scenario your behavior considered more authentic? 

The first came from impulse (You took an action impulsively because it affected your emotions) , the second from value (You take an action out of value no matter if it triggered your emotions or not).

I'm struggling to see an action from an impulse as pure authenticity, because impulses are automatic, you don't choose them mindfully, you just act by them when in the other side you do chose your values.

Edited by Alysssa

OSHO

Impulsiveness is when you are acting based on emotion, craving, or a trigger. You are not conscious of your actions when you act impulsively. These decisions are not being processed in the pre-frontal cortex. I think impulsiveness has its place like in sports, and it can be okay when paired with a calm state and high quality intuition. However, it poses a lot of risks and I would say as someone with ADHD it's gotten me in a lot of trouble in my life. Impulsiveness can be useful in some survival situations like escaping a burning building or protecting a child.

The range from impulsiveness to deep analytical planning, different life contexts and scenerios call for varying degrees of these. Both can be used constructively or neurotically. 

Impulsiveness is a problem when you are trying to scale a business, take charge of your personal finance, doing psychedelics or making life decisions that will impact you for many years. 

Impulsiveness is something I am working on.

A good solid life is built on a foundation of integrity, long term thinking, balance, wisdom, intentional living and consciousness. The road to a crappy life is build on addiction, fear, blaming others, projection, impulsiveness, etc.

When we judge others, don't have difficult conversations, demonize others, etc often time this is impulsive and not coming from a place of consciousness. 

All the crap or mistakes in my life boil down to impulsiveness, craving, avoiding pain and fear and my own short sightedness. Which, has been pretty big. Yet, I wont give up on myself.

In fact, despite whatever challenges I have had, mistakes I have made I know I am on the right path. ;)

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

4 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Impulsiveness is when you are acting based on emotion

@Alysssa It's worth noting that values are also based in emotion:

23 hours ago, Alysssa said:

you just act by them when in the other side you do chose your values.

25 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

@Alysssa It's worth noting that values are also based in emotion:

Yeah, you wont escape that. I wrote a poem that said "The intellect sits down, on the seat of emotion, begin to question.. everything you know babe..."

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art 

Impulsiveness is when you are acting based on emotion, craving, or a trigger. You are not conscious of your actions when you act impulsively. These decisions are not being processed in the pre-frontal cortex.

I like this clear explanation. 

I personally don't believe that having  ADHD or ADD is a real problem as culture make us believe.

It considered as a problem relatively to certain standards at school, work, adult's life, modern society etc. 

But if someone with ADHD or ADD lives in a jungle it actually would benefit his survival. Most of the ADHD/ADD people I met in my life are usually very creative and gifted. How could that be a problem?

@Nahm What is animal?

@LastThursday Sure values came from emotions, and also from intuition and consciousness which are more stable compered to

impulses that come from temporary emotions and vague urge mostly automatic.

This is why I can't agree that impulsiveness is pure authenticity because if it's so, does it mean following your values is the opposite of pure authenticity? 

How do you define authenticity at all and why you connect authenticity with impulsiveness? 

OSHO