Globalcollective

Is it a good idea to wake people up ?

20 posts in this topic

I work in a wellbeing centre where you get a lot of people who come in who are at least open to spiritual concepts and I got very good at introducing people to spirituality and some of them even started to have awakenings but recently I have stopped doing this as I have seen that it could possible send some people into states of psychosis ect. What happened to Conor Murphy made me revaluate what I was doing because I don't know the backgrounds of some of the people who come into this centre. I have been blessed with a some sense of passion and enthusiasm about subjects I find interesting I I find it very easy to get other people hooked into the things I am but I don't what to be irresponsible with it.

What would be the best cause of action? I feel as though I could probably get about 30% of people who come into the centre on the spiritual path if I really wanted to but is this actually a good thing? There is a part of me that just wants to leave society as it is and let people come to there own realisations without my input. 

"Kindly let me help you or you will drown,” said the monkey putting the fish safely up a tree.

“The reason you want to be better is the reason why you aren’t, shall I put it like that? We aren’t better because we want to be. Because the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Because all the do-gooders in the world whether they’re doing good for others or doing it for themselves are troublemakers: on the basis of “kindly let me help you or you will drown,” said the monkey putting the fish safely up a tree. Sometimes doing good to others and even doing good to oneself is amazingly destructive because it’s full of conceit. How do you know what’s good for other people? How do you know what’s good for you? If you say you want to improve then you ought to know what’s good for you, but obviously you don’t because if you did then you would be improved. So, we don’t know. We do not really know how to interfere with the way the world is.” —Alan Watts

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

10 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

"Kindly let me help you or you will drown,” said the monkey putting the fish safely up a tree.

“The reason you want to be better is the reason why you aren’t, shall I put it like that? We aren’t better because we want to be. Because the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Because all the do-gooders in the world whether they’re doing good for others or doing it for themselves are troublemakers: on the basis of “kindly let me help you or you will drown,” said the monkey putting the fish safely up a tree. Sometimes doing good to others and even doing good to oneself is amazingly destructive because it’s full of conceit. How do you know what’s good for other people? How do you know what’s good for you? If you say you want to improve then you ought to know what’s good for you, but obviously you don’t because if you did then you would be improved. So, we don’t know. We do not really know how to interfere with the way the world is.” —Alan Watts

@Mason Riggle Love that thanks for sharing x

10 minutes ago, Globalcollective said:

What would be the best cause[course?] of action?

"What should I do?"  

We might recognize that 'should' is actually always 'should if'.. You 'should' do x, if the goal is y... but by changing y, you change x.. 'shoulds' are relative. 

Should I go to the store? Well, you should, if getting something from the store is your goal, but your goal is to take a nap, then you shouldn't go to the store. 

What is the goal of the Universe? What should it do?   Well.. who's to say how the Universe 'should' exist? 

Another thing that can be recognized, is that there really isn't anything for you to do, because you're already doing the only thing you will ever do, which is 'be how you are', and you are always doing this, effortlessly.  Any attempt to be 'other than how you are being' is just more 'how you are being'.   

We also have no idea what the consequences of our actions will be. 

"Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.” The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.”

The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.” The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity, and it’s really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad — because you never know what will be the consequence of the misfortune; or, you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune." - The Story of the Chinese Farmer

You can't wake people up, dude.

They can only wake up themselves.

All you can is:

breathe
listen
forgive
respect
love
seek to understand
accept
give space rather than take space
(and much more)

"The flaw with words is that they always make us feel enlightened, but when we turn around to face the world they always fail us and we end up facing the world as we always have, without enlightenment.

For this reason, a warrior seeks to act rather than to talk, and to this effect, he gets a new description of the world where talking is not that important, and where new acts have new reflections."

- From Tales of Power, by Carlos Castaneda

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

10 minutes ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

You can't wake people up, dude.

They can only wake up themselves.

All you can is:

breathe
listen
forgive
respect
love
seek to understand
accept
give space rather than take space
(and much more)

"The flaw with words is that they always make us feel enlightened, but when we turn around to face the world they always fail us and we end up facing the world as we always have, without enlightenment.

For this reason, a warrior seeks to act rather than to talk, and to this effect, he gets a new description of the world where talking is not that important, and where new acts have new reflections."

- From Tales of Power, by Carlos Castaneda

Yes that is true I probably should reword what I'm trying to say. You're right I can't wake anyone up rather give people motivation to look into this side of life, I use to do it a lot. I have sent a lot of people to go to meditation retreats, take psychedelics ect but recently I stopped doing it. I don't even mention this stuff anymore to people even if they are interested in it themselves. 

Maybe is a case of experimenting and see what happen. 

live as love share if asked

"Hey seekers, this is to all those whose blood, bones, brains are made by eating the fruit of the Beloved; you are my siblings, no my very Self. Tell all of them I am theirs. I embrace all. I exclude none. I am love. Love like light clothes all with splendors of brilliance. I am nothing but floods of love."

Edited by gettoefl

You know, all you should worry about is providing opportunities, not waking someone up. You probably saw spiritual teachings, and took the opportunity, no one forced you to.

You can't and you can destroy relationships doing so. Everything needs context and containers. Let people come to you, not you going to look to change others. Who the fuck are you to wake anyone up?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Globalcollective said:

I work in a wellbeing centre where you get a lot of people who come in who are at least open to spiritual concepts and I got very good at introducing people to spirituality and some of them even started to have awakenings but recently I have stopped doing this as I have seen that it could possible send some people into states of psychosis ect. What happened to Conor Murphy made me revaluate what I was doing because I don't know the backgrounds of some of the people who come into this centre. I have been blessed with a some sense of passion and enthusiasm about subjects I find interesting I I find it very easy to get other people hooked into the things I am but I don't what to be irresponsible with it.

What would be the best cause of action? I feel as though I could probably get about 30% of people who come into the centre on the spiritual path if I really wanted to but is this actually a good thing? There is a part of me that just wants to leave society as it is and let people come to there own realisations without my input. 

Well first off realize that this is a dream so awakening others is just part of the dream itself.   All others are projections of your Mind in the Absolute sense.  So it's entertainment for the God-realized.   So realize the desire to awaken others is an egoic desire....Nothing wrong with that..   But as the pure Infinite singularity that you are there is no need to awaken others because there are no others..  now back to the relative - That said...I feel that an individual will awaken when they are ready.  Whatever ready entails for them.  So if they willingly come to you and want to know about spirituality then I think you can teach it but ensure you also teach the dangers so that they know what they are getting themselves into first....make sure to stress all aspects of spirituality...but yeah after that I think it's awesome ?

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Mason Riggle sounds like skepticism and just doubt/overthinking 

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

Good and bad are socially conditioned concepts of the Mind.

So the answer is there isn't an answer.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

45 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Good and bad are socially conditioned concepts of the Mind.

So the answer is there isn't an answer.

Not an absolutely true answer anyway. ?

2 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

Not an absolutely true answer anyway. ?

Exactly, nothing is absolute, nothing is true and there are no answers because there isn't a real questioner.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

24 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Exactly, nothing is absolute, nothing is true and there are no answers because there isn't a real questioner.

Or infinite answers to infinite questions. Even the answer that there is no answer is an answer. One that I noticed you prefer to give to all questions. ?

The main concern would be if the person can deal with the dark night of the soul on the path. So maybe you can discern people based on Maslow's hierarchy.

Explaining the dark night of the soul before sending them to retreats would do some justice and protect yourself from karma. Because going on this path can shed a lot of layers many could not even imagine. Ofcourse on the other side of the journey, the grass is way greener.

Just thinking out loud here.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

@Globalcollective Advising people what to do means you need to know them well first, eg listening before speaking. You work in a wellbeing centre, so for many people isn't basic wellbeing and self-care the most fitting type of spirituality anyway? Relaxation, de-stressing, healthy eating, exercise, financial security, relationship advice, just basic life skills essential as a foundation before exploring deeper aspects of spirituality. Otherwise we can run the risk of spiritual bypassing. 

Another thing is to be knowledgeable enough to give a broad range of advice, otherwise you may come across as an annoying evangelist for your particular spiritual beliefs which is more likely to put people off (no offense intended :) ).

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

9 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

Or infinite answers to infinite questions. Even the answer that there is no answer is an answer. One that I noticed you prefer to give to all questions. ?

Yes exactly they appear to be different but our the same no thing.

Edited by VeganAwake