Someone here

How do you know anything?

21 posts in this topic

In The latest video.. Leo mentioned about epistemlogical nihilism but didn't go in depth about it .. which claims that the acquisition of knowledge is impossible. And I wanna discuss this. 

How do we know anything at all? 

Let's say our senses give us direct access to reality. Beyond the sensory content.. How do you ground any knowledge whatsoever? 

all reason and rationality will always dissolve into an infinite regress of reason where one must eventually concede that they’re taking on a belief.

Let's take one example.. If you are not seeing the moon right now.. How do you know it exists somewhere in the universe?  You would have to rely on memories or take a scientist's word for it.. Both are just based on faith and cannot be certain knowledge.

Another observation.. Is that the senses doesn't give you an explanation of themselves. You see red. You know red exists by seeing it. but sight doesn't explain to you what sight is. And every explanation will require another one to infinity. So actually everything is unexplained. 

Thoughts?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

You're coming at knowledge from duality.

Try looking at it from a nondual point of view - so to speak.

What is 'knowledge' if there are not two but only one?

Could it be infinite intelligence, perhaps? ?

I'm not so much a fan of the phrase 'direct experience'. 

'Experience' is all there is, and it's always direct. 

Whatever is 'being experienced' exists. 

If a thing can not be experienced, this is the same as that thing not existing. 

Notice the contradiction in saying, "there exists a bear in your room.. but it can't experience it in any way."

Does that bear exist?? 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@ivankiss

There is no knower from a nondual perspective. Nonduality would mean collapse of knower - known into absolute being. 

@Mason Riggle so direct experience is only source of knowledge? And you cannot know anything you've not experienced is what you're saying?

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

@Someone here seems True in my experience. ?

Even to think, is to experience thought. To be is to experience being. 

For fun, the word 'experiencing' can be used interchangeably with 'imagining'. :D

@Mason Riggle but then how many things you think you know but you have no experience of?  

-Osho

Your observation regarding the eye inability to perceive itself is key and really on the spot regarding any existential questioning. However, the assumption that our senses give us direct access to reality is false. The perceptive faculties of any organism were developed for serving the survival of the organism. Survival is the principle behind every facet of your experience. Can you grasp that your entire experience is self survival, and not on a logic and intellectual level?

You know a 'thing' only by perceptive or mental faculties. And they are never the 'thing' itself. Knowing is an abstraction of what is.

And you don't see red, you only perceive a certain light, and distinct it from another by conceptualizing it into the label 'Red'. That is the case for every distinction you make conceptually in order to know any thing. Of course the moon does not exist for you other than be perception and conception. It's existence (or non-existence) are dependent on you making a distinction of a moon.

@Someone here Yes we only know one thing. We know that consciousness exists. That is certain. We also know the concepts of colors etc exist (anything we can imagine or remember contains real concepts and """things""" like the red color itself).

How many things might come to exist for me if I experience them? 

Edited by Mason Riggle
Grammar

Consciousness.

The end.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@dflores321 @Leo Gura nice! 

What else?  You are not conscious of the moon rn and yet you think you know it exists َ? You are not conscious of your blood flow rn yet you think you know it exists? 

How to ground a knowledge that you are not directly conscious of, is my main question?it's a reoccurring question that I have not found an answer to. 

-Osho

There is nothing else. That's what you fail to grasp.

@Leo Gura bad news :D

. Because more than 50 % of my life is based on stuff that I have no direct consciousness of. A huge part of my 'knowledge' is based on nothing. 

-Osho

23 hours ago, Someone here said:

How do we know anything at all? 

It is inherent to the Self. The self is creating the knowledge, and so it knows it.

@Leo Gura But how do you know that all there is, is consciousness? Because you experienced it? How do you know that direct experience leads to the truth? I am of the opinion that truth and understanding are just two more concepts that you will eventually have to deconstruct. Of course deconstruction itself must also be deconstructed.

23 minutes ago, Zeldor said:

@Leo Gura But how do you know that all there is, is consciousness? Because you experienced it? How do you know that direct experience leads to the truth? I am of the opinion that truth and understanding are just two more concepts that you will eventually have to deconstruct. Of course deconstruction itself must also be deconstructed.

When you finish deconstructing deconstruction, you will realize that consciousness is Infinite Absolute Truth.

You think you can escape consciousness somehow, but you can't because consciousness is all there could ever be.

You won't understand how I know this until you awaken. Until then you will be under the illusion that something outside of consciousness can exist.

What I am telling you is not a theory or a speculation. It is 100% certain. This is the whole point and promise of awakening. It is 100% certain. No doubt is possible.

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Consciousness.

The end.

57 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There is nothing else. That's what you fail to grasp.

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

When you finish deconstructing deconstruction, you will realize that consciousness is Infinite Absolute Truth.

You think you can escape consciousness somehow, but you can't because consciousness is all there could ever be.

You won't understand how I know this until you awaken. Until then you will be under the illusion that something outside of consciousness can exist.

What I am telling you is not a theory or a speculation. It is 100% certain. This is the whole point and promise of awakening. It is 100% certain. No doubt is possible.

Damn..

What's to know about anything, its already itself.

EVERYTHING is already what it is.

Its a Done Deal.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi