Raptorsin7

Nothing Matters?!?

52 posts in this topic

I was contemplating just now and I realized that nothing matters at all. Anything in life that happens doesn't ultimately matter, either way it goes it really doesn't mean anything.

At first glance this can seem bad or misguided, but if you think about it... it frees you of the burden of meaning. If something truly matters then if you lose that thing you're going to suffer it's absence. But if nothing matters then you are free. 

Any thoughts?

Yes, because it's all an illusion, (This isn't a reason for one to cause havoc and mayham) but ultimately even that doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter that nothing matters ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It doesn't matter that nothing matters ;)

You're taking it too far, that does matter! Lol jk

I have also had that insight.

I woke up from a nap, into deep peace, and realized that I am not real, and that my life and death are not "real". And I realized that it isn't good nor bad, and in fact nothing matters. Nothing isn't good, bad, sad, depressing, happy... And all of this emotions and judgements are just dependent upon my imagined self and are all relative to and are a direct function of my survival agenda. And I was truly liberated because, I mean it's a little strange but I realized that nothing could hurt me, Because no matter what happen to me that will not really be "bad", it will not make me suffer. And that my death is ultimately not real and is not bad.

Yeah so that was profound and then I went on with my day ?

True, nothing matters, it just is, but we have a software implanted to believe that it matters a lot, otherwise we would not survive for a day. nothing is good or bad, nor does it make any sense. it is only, empty of any content, but of enormous beauty. art

Once you see that meaning is something you construct, there is nothing that stops you from constructing the best meaning you can.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Clouds seem to block the Sun. When you transcend the clouds in an aircraft there is nothing but sunshine.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Nothing matters.. a whole lot. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

7 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

At first glance this can seem bad or misguided, but if you think about it... it frees you of the burden of meaning.

Very true! People like to apply Nihilism in a very selective manner. They wake up in the morning and think to themselves how utterly meaningless it is to have to get out of bed and go to work, but then when someone insults them and calls them ugly or stupid they suddenly don't care about the meaninglessness of it anymore. It quickly becomes a tool for the ego.

Isn't it funny how much meaning people attach to the meaninglessness of life?

beep boop

If you say nothing matters, it only means that you are currently too spoiled with a comfortable life.

6 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

True, nothing matters, it just is, but we have a software implanted to believe that it matters a lot, 

Yeab andl one must be careful not to conflate the relative with the Absolute.  Relatively speaking things matter.  As Leo pointed out, there are consequences.  Things matter relatively speaking.  That's an important distinction to make so that we don't misunderstand this work.   And even Absolutely speaking nothing matters circles back around to Infinite Love.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 No but on the relative things don't really matter either. 

If you start buying into things mattering I think you are guaranteed to suffer. Nothing matters, everything is one taste. I guess you can say everything matters but if everything matters then really nothing matters

It matters proportionally how much you fall for illusion of life. ;)

Bigger and more developed identity  life matters more. 

Edited by Zeroguy

13 minutes ago, Zeroguy said:

Bigger and more developed identity  life matters more. 

But isn't this a recipe for suffering? If you become attached to something how can you be free?

The alternative to nothing matters is something matters to a different degree than others and then you become trapped.

You can get bought into the story. But if you take a step back isn't it always the case that it doesn't really matter.

There is only you. You imagined everything. Leo, Alex your Parents, Phil that girl at your workplace etc. 

2 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Inliytened1 No but on the relative things don't really matter either. 

If you start buying into things mattering I think you are guaranteed to suffer. Nothing matters, everything is one taste. I guess you can say everything matters but if everything matters then really nothing matters

That's fine but that's still a meta perspective.  I'm talking more literally.   I'll give you an example.  

If your mother is drowning in a pool is it going to matter to you to go in and save her or are you just going to say nothing really matters and let her die?  If you jump in and save her that's because it mattered to you.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.