kieranperez

Rupert Spira on Sam Harris Podcast

298 posts in this topic

This was too good not share...

Entertaining... to say the very least

 

Edited by kieranperez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the full interview is not available? 

Edit: It is not. I see that it's subscription only.

Edited by Consilience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18:10ish "Oh, ok so.. how long was your surgery?" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!


My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMFG WHAT


To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam "but muh science" Harris.


To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like that Sam is deliberately trying to misunderstand Rupert. xD

Edited by Understander

Seeking Truth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam seems to be conflating Self-Awareness with Consciousness. Consciousness exists in different states of awareness. For our planet, it is only recently that lifeforms have evolved the capacity for Consciousness to become Self-Aware. Being under anesthesia doesn't mean Consciousness disappears, any more than being a rock or a tree makes Consciousness disappear. It is imbued in every being, whether that being is Self-Aware or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Moksha said:

Sam seems to be conflating Self-Awareness with Consciousness. Consciousness exists in different states of awareness.

I think Peter Ralston also makes a distinction between awareness and consciousness.  As in awareness meaning simply being aware of things, and consciousness meaning something else I have no idea what that is.  

I've never had an enlightenment experience and have no idea what he, and perhaps you, mean by consciousness as opposed to awareness/being aware of stuff like everyone is to one degree or another.

Can you elaborate or try to explain consciousness?  Is it more of like a simple "knowing" or something?  Or is it similar to awareness?


"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Moksha said:

Sam seems to be conflating Self-Awareness with Consciousness. Consciousness exists in different states of awareness. For our planet, it is only recently that lifeforms have evolved the capacity for Consciousness to become Self-Aware. Being under anesthesia doesn't mean Consciousness disappears, any more than being a rock or a tree makes Consciousness disappear. It is imbued in every being, whether that being is Self-Aware or not.

He is using the normie small brain definition of consciousness while Rupert is using the big brain chad definition of consciousness. This becomes very clear when they start talking about anesthesia.


To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So someone in the comments is saying that Sam Harris talked with Jim Newman but you have to subscribe to Sam Harris' thingy to hear it. :( I bet it's a riot.  

4 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

I think Peter Ralston also makes a distinction between awareness and consciousness.  As in awareness meaning simply being aware of things, and consciousness meaning something else I have no idea what that is.  

I've never had an enlightenment experience and have no idea what he, and perhaps you, mean by consciousness as opposed to awareness/being aware of stuff like everyone is to one degree or another.

Can you elaborate or try to explain consciousness?  Is it more of like a simple "knowing" or something?  Or is it similar to awareness?

Teachers use the terms differently. Some use consciousness as describing, subject/object, perceiver/perceived consciousness and others speak of Consciousness as Awareness. The Nature of Consciousness by Rupert Spira is an amazing book. Highly recommend it, will answer all your questions and more. 


My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Can you elaborate or try to explain consciousness?  Is it more of like a simple "knowing" or something?  Or is it similar to awareness?

Consciousness is reality. It manifests through infinite forms, which may or may not be evolved enough to be aware. The only reason we, as human beings, understand it is because we have evolved the capacity for Self-Awareness, or for Consciousness to become aware of itself.

Names always get you into trouble. Call it God, and people associate it with conceptual beliefs. Call it Consciousness, and people confuse it with awareness. The ancient gurus simply called it Tat, which literally means "That".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see Leo on Sam's podcast. I'm sure Sam would be up for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Megan Alecia said:

Age of Aquarius. :D

Synchronicity, my bday was this week 9_9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmmm...to be conscious is to be aware. Going under anesthesia for surgery makes one unconscious, or unaware. I can see what is meant by Consciousness=reality(or God, Love, infinity, etc.) however. It just seems like a silly argument of semantics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Willie said:

Hmmmmm...to be conscious is to be aware. Going under anesthesia for surgery makes one unconscious, or unaware. I can see what is meant by Consciousness=reality(or God, Love, infinity, etc.) however. It just seems like a silly argument of semantics.

Do you believe that being unconscious erases reality? I remember riding down the hill by my house as a kid, and my bike hitting a rock, and spinning through the air, and my head hitting the ground. My brother carried me back to my house. Did reality cease to exist when I was unconscious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moksha said:

Do you believe that being unconscious erases reality? I remember riding down the hill by my house as a kid, and my bike hitting a rock, and spinning through the air, and my head hitting the ground. My brother carried me back to my house. Did reality cease to exist when I was unconscious?

Of course not, you were simply unaware of it for a bit. Perhaps this is just a limitation of English. There are 2 very different concepts being conveyed using very similar words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.