Tanz

Is disease imagination?

36 posts in this topic

What role do you guys think belief systems and disease plays a role?  Can a culture create disease out of just talking about it?  

I talk a lot about this in classes I conduct but I find it interesting how much a role it plays, what are you guy's thoughts on this?

@Tanz I'd say it depends on the disease. In one context, belief systems play a big role in our physiology. Chronic stress and anxiety can create all sorts of psychosomatic conditions and worsen illness / disease like cancer, depression, schizophrenia, heart disease and on and on. Other diseases like cystic fibrosis are inherited as single gene, recessive disease - positive thinking aint gonna help a kid with two mutant alleles. As well, the beliefs and placebos are interesting. Placebos undoubtedly have a statistically significant impact. I think it's foolish that researchers don't investigate the mechanics of placebos, so we can understand and utilize the belief systems that contribute to healing. Yet, I guess that isn't a money maker for pharmaceuticals.

In another context, it's like asking if there is a collective Law of Attraction. Could a culture creative a disease through imagination. What comes to mind are ancient tribal cultures and superstition. They may explain certain illness as evil spirits. Did that imagination attract some form of illness? Or are they totally unrelated? 

Another way to think about it. . . Let's say everyone in our culture agrees that there is a coronavirus causing covid. And everyone gets afraid of it mutating into new forms that are immune to the vaccine. If there was intense collective fear and repetitive thinking of it mutating, would that impact the chances of it mutating? What if every media station focused on the threat of the virus mutating - it consumed 80% of our thoughts and emotions. Would that have an impact? 

I think this is an area that can integrate the physical and metaphysical. For example: intention, entanglement and physical manifestation. 

@Forestluv

26 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

I think it's foolish that researchers don't investigate the mechanics of placebos, so we can understand and utilize the belief systems that contribute to healing. Yet, I guess that isn't a money maker for pharmaceuticals.

I think it's so interesting how in the book Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill he wrote a story about how doctors told him that his son was not going to be able to hear. He didn't let that stop him from believing that his son was going to be able to hear and he kept on imagining it and believing that his son would not be deaf forever. He tried many things to have his son hear believe it or not his son actually was able to hear despite all the ridicule he went through from professionals. 

Disease is just growth that isnt conducive to your survival. Some other organism wants to feed on you and you say "Hell no! This is my body! Here are some antibodies to fight you off!"

Ramana Maharshi apparently said "The body itself is a disease" when he died.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Leo is the only thing that is imagination. Everything else is real.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

7 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Leo is the only thing that is imagination. Everything else is real.

Leo is an AI created by Google. 

2 hours ago, Rilles said:

Disease is just growth that isnt conducive to your survival. Some other organism wants to feed on you and you say "Hell no! This is my body! Here are some antibodies to fight you off!"

Not all diseases. There are diseases such as congenital heart diseases, cleft palate, fistulae, etc... that are caused by defective development of body parts during pregnancy. The causes are not clear yet, but there are several risk factors. So, it's not always a matter of biological survival of different organisms. Sometimes God is a freaking loser that does not know how to make perfect creatures.

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

Leo is an AI created by Google. 

IMG_20200726_194330_892.jpg

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

4 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Sometimes God is a freaking loser that does not know how to make perfect creatures.

You mean God does not believe in the superiority of a perfect race of people like the Nazi's did?

Disease is not imagination in exclusion to anything else being real. Often when we try to focus on health we're actually thinking thoughts of fear about disease. That fear is our true motivation, not health. No duality.

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 minute ago, mandyjw said:

You mean God does not believe in the superiority of a perfect race of people like the Nazi's did?

That would make medicine and doctors racists.

1 minute ago, Gesundheit said:

That would make medicine and doctors racists.

No, it makes them also God. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 minute ago, mandyjw said:

No, it makes them also God. 

Yeah, but the good kind of God, as opposed to the loser that is responsible for the creation process.

Edited by Gesundheit

Just now, Gesundheit said:

Yeah, but the good kind of good, as opposed to the loser that is responsible for the creation process.

There is no responsible. Responsible implies preceding, coming before. There's no before. You can only be response able. God can only be response able. There's no preceding God. What you are is beyond primordial. 

2 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Yeah, but the good kind of God, as opposed to the loser that is responsible for the creation process.

Haha Im not "Awake" but isnt funny how that loser created you so you could complain about him creating you badly? xD

1 minute ago, Rilles said:

Haha Im not "Awake" but isnt funny how that loser created you so you could complain about him creating you badly? xD

Another bug he needs to fix 9_9

18 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Thanks serpent for giving us the fruit so that we can say stuff or creation is bad or badly. Otherwise we would have thought everything's good.

Think how annoying this bliss would be.

Is covid imaginary? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

2 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

Thanks serpent for giving us the fruit so that we can say stuff or creation is bad or badly. Otherwise we would have thought everything's good.

Think how annoying this bliss would be.

9 hours ago, Tanz said:

What role do you guys think belief systems and disease plays a role?  Can a culture create disease out of just talking about it?  

I talk a lot about this in classes I conduct but I find it interesting how much a role it plays, what are you guy's thoughts on this?

All disease is in a dream so yes... everything is imagination it’s all a dream.