Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
from chaos into self

What is thought?

20 posts in this topic

a thought is you undulating, adopting a form and thus creating limits, a distinction between you and the rest. I think that it is an evolutionary function closely related to language, and its objective is to act in complex groups to making possible the survival of the weak animal that is the human

A = thought

B = awareness

A =/= B

Thought =/= awareness

Anything that is not awareness is thought. And anything inside thought is not awareness.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

7 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

A = thought

B = awareness

A =/= B

Thought =/= awareness

Anything that is not awareness is thought. And anything inside thought is not awareness.

This is tricky because awareness is not necessarily without thought imbued with it. When I am aware of the door I think it is a door. 

1 hour ago, from chaos into self said:

This is tricky because awareness is not necessarily without thought imbued with it. When I am aware of the door I think it is a door. 

There is thought without awareness, and awareness without thought, and thought about awareness, and awareness of thought.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

@Gesundheit Let me think about that :)

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

I'd like to give a less than obvious answer just for the sake of doing so: 

An invention

Context: Meaning that thought is there to invent mental/physical phenomena that was not there before, even in the simple exchange of ideas, to do so with unique prosody and van gogh flair that gets recognised by the public post our Orwellian death (in light of potential New World Order :P arising before as well as outliving the end of our existence) gives life a little more Tesla zest.

In saying that here's some preliminary work I've been doing on my death ray, so far it only works on racist mexicans born half African American and a quarter Irish.

Death-Ray-1280x720.jpg

In saying that my goal just as an experiment for this whole week (now into Monday where I am) is to only focus on thought in the context of invention to change my baseline perception of what I believe to be possible regarding thought, because after all, perhaps under the right past conditions we'd instead be enjoying a culture in this present time in history that only thought from the lens of invention over tradition

Edited by Origins

Thoughts are like the homeless cat that lives underneath your trailer.

The more you feed it the more it keeps coming back.

Don't get attached to that damn cat. ?

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

I have no clue. I think the answer is probably irrelevant though. It’s like asking what is a table. A table is a table. You could say a table is made up of atoms. You could say it’s made up of wood. Just depends how you view it. A thought it sort of similar. It depends on how you’re looking at it. 

Yeah I have an all glass dining room table it's pretty sweet... even the atoms and molecules are glass.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

37 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

What is thought?

a thought. 

Haven't you watched Leo's video? Whatever model you have of reality is a copy. It doesn't get you to the substance of what a thing is. Nothing will get you closer to knowing what the sun is than simply looking at it. And that's the whole point of mysticism. The sun is God. It's 100 % unknown and unknowable. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Mikael89 Awareness is the space between thoughts. It is Consciousness itself. It is the experience of being who You are, free from thought.

Consciousness can still use your brain to think, but the thoughts are illuminated and refined, because they are infused with the Consciousness that inspires them.

Not all thinking is bad thinking. When Consciousness is at the helm, thoughts are beautiful things.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

thoughts are an evolutionary tool. animals also think, through images, memories, to avoid dangers, learn, survive. If a human grows up alone in the forest, he would also think only through images, and with very spaced thoughts. would it be enlightened? but by living in society and learning language, thinking becomes more verbal. With the thousands of subtleties that social behavior demands, thought increases in volume. In this society where from a very young age we spend hours every day watching ertentainment, feeling false emotions induced by actors and scriptwriters, things get crazy. in the end we are just gray thought

A thought is that part of experience which doesn't obey the normal rules. A thought comes, a thought goes - unlike the sofa you're sat in. If a thought stuck around and you could touch it and smell it and taste it, then it would become "real".

All stories and explanations are false.

Trying to define thought is like trying to bread the butter.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Is the table thought? Is labeling thought? Or is the limit of thought to thinking only? What draws the line of what is thought and what isn’t thought? Can direct experience be tainted with thought?

Is labeling and naming a subset of awareness or a subset of thought?

Edited by from chaos into self

I think I’m confusing thought with form. Form is prior to thought, consciousness is prior to form... you can have awareness with form, seeing the table as a table is form, but not thought. Thought is thinking, it can be wordless thinking, but form is still different from that.

i wonder how many people in this board understand that thought can be wordless.

5 hours ago, from chaos into self said:

Is labeling and naming a subset of awareness or a subset of thought?

it's a coping mechanism of the mind to create some kind of order and logical sense from what it experiences.

It places things in a box checks it off as understood and moves on to the next box to check off. 

In that sense it's basic and complex simultaneously.