Tokkie

Is 26 too late for college?

17 posts in this topic

My name is Tokkie. I am currently 25 years old and planning on pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Fine Art. I am now in the second year.

I am happy to be a college student. I enjoy classes and with people, but I always feel I am too old to be in college.

I will be 26 in December and have to think about health insurance because I have heard that above 26 years old cannot use the parent insurance.

And also, when I will graduate, I will be around 30 years old. 

I have a plan after graduation, but I am worried that the company I want to be hired would refuse me because of my age.

I want to know whether 26 is too old for college or not...

Thank you

There are no age restrictions for paying or entering any college or university.

Any limitations are ones you create in your own mind.

My mom went to nursing school at age 51.

hrhrhtewgfegege

6 hours ago, Roy said:

My mom went to nursing school at age 51.

I started nursing school at 35. The oldest in our nursing class was 50.

7 hours ago, Tokkie said:

I want to know whether 26 is too old for college or not...

...not. ?

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

26 is certainly not old.

even Leo literally admitted that "26 is super young" in regards to a question mentioning the same age (i believe it was in the one of his YT comments).

14 hours ago, Tokkie said:

I have a plan after graduation, but I am worried that the company I want to be hired would refuse me because of my age.

but even if you don't go to college, who do you plan to work as, in the meantime?

also, is this possible for you to work and study at the same time? that would give you more confidence in my opinion.

Why do you need a degree in Fine Art?

What job has a Bachelors in Fine Art as a requirement? Maybe a museum? Have you checked if most museums provide health insurance to their employees?

My guess is you want to make art though anyway, not just give people a tour of someone else's.

What do you think university can teach you about art that you can't learn for free on Youtube, or at a drastically reduced price through services like Skillshare?

You're still super young and no one will care about your age. What employers care about is your demonstrable skill set and portfolio.

If you want to get hired as an artist, all you need is a great portfolio. You don't even need a degree and your age is irrelevant.

All of your attention should be focused on building your skills and putting together a jaw-dropping portfolio.

Artists get hired solely on their portfolios.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

In fact, it seems to me that just at this age there is already a clear understanding of what you want to get from higher education in the end, and not just do like everyone else. So, at this age it is definitely not too late, or even better.

Really, there isn't an age restriction to learning and going to college. Most important is deciding on what to study and wanting to do it. Roughly half the population unconsciously and lazily study, while the other half and less consciously study, and even less have more consciousness to utilize. Really the greatest challenge at this era is sorting out true from false information, and more difficult is to figure out a way to stop learning at will. That's it.

I started a Uni degree last year when I was 27.  

I see it like "Ok, might as well build up me resume to move me in the general direction I want to go in."

Cons

• Don't spend as much time developing skills, knowledge, and creativity.
  • Don't explore other options outside of Uni as much
  • Might pick up some dogma

Pros

• Gives you a piece of paper that might open up doors in the future
  • Allows some exploration of subjects
  • puts you in contact with people who might have similar interests - future collaborations/businesses together
  •  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I'm in the same boat and I'm starting now at the age of 25. But I'm going for Computer Science, and even there a degree is less and less required.

Especially for art though, I would also say go all in and focus on building skills on yourself. As Leo said, all that counts is what you show you can do. I think it's the most focused and quickest way to break into the industry for you. All the best ?? 

college doesn't matter at all if you have a great way of showing your skill. but in case if you need it, age doesn't matter at all

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

I started my (current) college degree at age 26, together with a friend of the same age, and honestly it was the time of my life! Both teachers and (much) younger classmates showed us a lot of respect :-) 

About 2 years ago at UNLV a 72 year old man got his degree.

Colonel Sanders started KFC at age 67.

But I think along the same lines as you at times. I am 24 and I feel like my life is already wasted haha. Obviously it is not, and yours is not either.

"Yes is the answer... And you know that! Fasho!

Yes is surrender! You gotta let it... you gotta let it GO!" - John Lennon, Mind Games

On 10/13/2020 at 1:33 PM, Oliver Saavedra said:

@Sunnyboytoni What is it that you don't like about embodying it?

I heard some guy on this forum that was returning collage at 70 years old 

No excuses, better late than never.

Imagine how  bad your gonna feel 10 years in the future if you don't take action now.

Feel the pain, that pain will get your ass going

I started college at 24 and it was the best decision I made in my 20's