Is dopamine addiction a lack of understanding?

18 posts in this topic

Unwanted behaviors often stems from part of the mind which has not been recognized. When you take awareness of the root belief or assumption it just melts away almost instantly.

For instance I had a shame problem, I believed from a very young age that I should be ashamed of myself by looking at my mom do the same. If I were to use traditionnal psychology to fix this problem, perhaps I would have used affirmations and positive thinking. This is however, very unefficient compared to realizing the root cause. It seems to me that I am done with this problem now, all it took was an LSD trip.

Yet I'm wondering if all problems are like this. If would be very nice if that's the case! Currently I'm suffering from overstimulation from youtube videos, video games, social media and etc creating huge procrastination. The "traditionnal" way of fixing this is to setup good habits and slowly get out of the low consciousness stuff. Yet I've been doing this for years with very limited success. I still struggle with it and it doesn't seem to go away permanently.

Science would say this problem stems from the dopamine system being designed to want rewards because this is how it was best to function when living in the stone age. But hey, pushing this idea aside and assuming there's no brain, is there a way to permanently fix that issue through understanding? Is this issue a lack of understanding?

I would really love that to be the case! Otherwise that would mean I am forced to struggle with my own biology and just accept it?

On my last LSD trip I really wanted to ponder on that a lot. But it was kind of pushed aside to fix other issues. Even if nobody can answer my question, I plan on dedicating a trip to just that very soon.

Edited by 4201

Perhaps you have a need for stimulation, but it is up to you what you choose to be stimulated by.

Are there better things you could be doing instead of things like video games? Find more developmentally conducive past-times.

All dopamine addictions will work the same, whether it be food, sex, YouTube, etc. So, you can try to find a pattern to how it works and then try applying it. You could try something like a dopamine detox.

Personally, I'm doing intermittent fasting right now which is also acting as a sort of dopamine detox since I get so much enjoyment out of food. I have noticed I am less lazy now and much more grateful and happy when eating and doing other things that stimulate dopamine.

1 hour ago, 4201 said:

But hey, pushing this idea aside and assuming there's no brain, is there a way to permanently fix that issue through understanding? Is this issue a lack of understanding?

Well, you're still functioning within the construct of a human body. I don't think you're gonna understand your way out of experiencing dopamine, but you can manipulate it through understanding it more. It is a very nice feature of reality, I think. It will reward you for not giving into temptations and it keeps balance to your enjoyment.

In my experience, the "forcing yourself to do work" method didn't work very well for me. It was only after I quit video games out of boredom that I realized how useless it was and how I had wasted my entire time playing it. One day you will quit, and the game wont even matter to you one bit. It becomes irrelevant just like that, and then you will move on to the next big dopamine influx. The fact that something I put so much time into didn't even matter to me anymore drove me to realize how devastating the dopamine cycle can be.

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

I feel that you would get a lot of out of studying the topic of habits, dopamine, and lifestyle change in more detail. In my view, In one way, you are correct, and in another way the process is more complex than only different doses of dopamine. The brain-body works holistically.

I learned some significant and helpful concepts from the books Awaken the giant within and The power of habit regarding these subjects that let me see that growth is done through many approaches and they intertwine.

One thing that's helped personally is, over a few years, I've learned to discipline and hold myself accountable in things I like to do. Like Playing the guitar, making music, school, and reading books. And then I slowly extend it to that require little effort and then increase.

Some habits are deeply ingrained and consistently reinforced by external cues that prompt the chain of behavior. And that could be a thought, a memory, a friend, a family member. So you have to be mindful and create your own external cues.

I have done many trips and they have also been really helpful with habits and addictions. They have a good way of cleaning all impurity making you become in aligned in the present moment.

Thank you for the answers and noted down those books. Lots of food for thought but nothing nailing the coffin. I will come back after contemplating this deeply.

@4201 Very relatable post. Dopamine addiction issues here as well. 

Judging by your manner of speech, I think you'd enjoy reading or listening to Peter Ralston and Jiddu Krishnamurti. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

3 minutes ago, lmfao said:

@4201 Very relatable post. Dopamine addiction issues here as well. 

Judging by your manner of speech, I think you'd enjoy reading or listening to Peter Ralston and Jiddu Krishnamurti. 

My manner of speech probably come from the fact Peter Ralston's book of not knowing is my current read :) A very transformational book for me. I'll check out Krishnamurti, thanks for the suggestion.

@4201 Yeah bro I got that psychic download on you. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

T bel

On 7/22/2020 at 6:51 AM, 4201 said:

Science would say this problem stems from the dopamine system being designed to want rewards because this is how it was best to function when living in the stone age. But hey, pushing this idea aside and assuming there's no brain, is there a way to permanently fix that issue through understanding? Is this issue a lack of understanding?

I would really love that to be the case! Otherwise that would mean I am forced to struggle with my own biology and just accept it?

On my last LSD trip I really wanted to ponder on that a lot. But it was kind of pushed aside to fix other issues. Even if nobody can answer my question, I plan on dedicating a trip to just that very soon.

I think dopamine addictions have multiple factors. But the fundamental root of addiction is generally trauma

Having trauma in your body makes you feel icky and uncomfortable inside. To get away from the unpleasantness of trauma, people try to fill their time with things that give them pleasure - food, sex, TV etc. This is what causes dopamine addiction fundamentally -  needing that pleasure stimulus to get over the pain your body is in.

Keep in mind trauma doesn't have to be major like rape or abuse. Your friend being mean to you all of a sudden could be a form of micro-trauma. Micro-traumas happen every day.

I'm not sure if you have noticed, but on days that you feel happy and light, you are less likely to resort to unhealthy addictions like junk food, masturbation etc. 

I strongly recommend doing a dopemine detox weekend. For 2-3 days, only fasting, meditation, journaling, exercising.

You'll have a lot of time to contemplate and at the same time you'll be working on your overstimulation problem.

I would argue that yes it is. 

Thinking dopamine addiction is an issue to be dealt with is thinking that there's a me other than what is perceived.

Very fallacious thread from my part, I apologize!

@4201 a psychedelic is an amazing tool. Eventually, you realize that psychedelic is literally you :)) 

All "problems" are just beliefs that are not true. A thought arises, there is a choice to believe this thought (to react) or let it go. In the same way, as you have let go of the "I should be ashamed of myself" belief you can let go of any belief which doesn't feel good to you.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

"Yet I'm wondering if all problems are like this. If would be very nice if that's the case! Currently I'm suffering from overstimulation from youtube videos, video games, social media and etc creating huge procrastination"

This is the real issue.

You won't get to the core of it by "studying how dopamine works", because this will lead you away from the issue.

You have to go to the core of it.

Ask yourself following questions and contemplate the answers DEEPLY:

1. why are you procrastinating?
  2. why you are addicted to these things in the first place?
  3. what do these things mean to you in your life?
  4. what are you avoiding to do instead (if you play, watch yt etc.)?
  5. from what kind of feelings are you running away?
  6. why did you become addicted to these things in the first place?
  7. what happens, if you keep living like this?
  8. what do you want to do instead? How does your ideal life looks like?
  9. how can you reach this ideal life (eg. you can help yourself by buying the LP course of leo, doing psychedelics, analyzing your passions etc.)?
  10. can you reach your ideal life with these addictions or do you have to let them go?
  11. do you want to let them go? If yes, why? If not, why?
  12. what will you do to stay on track and do not get addicted again?

Hope it helps!

Edited by Vittorio
misspelling + added some text

1 hour ago, Vittorio said:

You won't get to the core of it by "studying how dopamine works", because this will lead you away from the issue.

Yeah, it's a rabbit hole. Although, it's probably better to read about how dopamine works than to waste time on YouTube but you're right.

It's kinda like studying the biology of how the nervous system works to get better at sports and controlling your body. 

Edited by lmfao

Dopamine detox and getting rid of caffeine helped me a lot..

Of course you need to have a purpose/goal to focus on instead the overstimulating activities. I would try to become more conscious of those behaviours(Like reading comments with arguments, buying stuff you don't need,  TV,  social media etc..)

I also meditate more, HOF method is a game changer for me and in general getting mature enough to understand that nothing external will really make me happy.

Hope it helps <3

11 hours ago, lmfao said:

Yeah, it's a rabbit hole. Although, it's probably better to read about how dopamine works than to waste time on YouTube but you're right.

It's kinda like studying the biology of how the nervous system works to get better at sports and controlling your body. 

It's useless for the purpose. 

You are just studying science and scientific neurobiological processes, which are useless for people with these kinds of problems. 

Addictions are mental and not physical problems. 

I gave you a list of carefully crafted question that will help understand your addictions and procrastination, what's underneath them, why they are there and much more. 

Awareness on the matter and being mindful will help you A LOT go over them. 

But awareness has nothing to do with the study of the root causes. 

1 hour ago, Joshi3 said:

@Vittorio go tell a heroin addict, that addiction isn’t physical lmao. Not working out or exercising seems pretty physical. America is the most addicted and obese country in the world. Coincidence I think not 

You miserunderstood my words totally. 

The problem is why you got addicted in the first place and why you are still addicted. 

Addictions are consequences of mental unbalance, low awareness, missing life purpose and such. 

There is actually no difference in the addiction mechanism between heroin and videogames.

You won't fix your addiction by studying how dopamine works, but rather by understanding the things I mentioned before. 

I speak with first hand experience (in my family too).

Edited by Vittorio