An young being

Is relishing great memories from the past not a good idea?

20 posts in this topic

Does being in the present moment include not thinking about our past memories? If so, what's bad in relishing good memories that we can no longer have in the present ( unless we think about it? ) . If not, what does being in the present really mean?

2 hours ago, An young being said:

Does being in the present moment include not thinking about our past memories?

Being in the present moment means that you are not thinking. Not about memories, not anything.

If so, what's bad in relishing good memories that we can no longer have in the present ( unless we think about it? )

If your greatest Joy is in the present, you won't need joyful memories of the past. The present moment is the biggest present (gift).

If not, what does being in the present really mean?

To be. 

relish all you want...Why not? Just don't be attached to them, they are imaginary fluff anyway. I relish my dreams at night. 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

13 hours ago, JosephKnecht said:

Being in the present moment means that you are not thinking. Not about memories, not anything.

If your greatest Joy is in the present, you won't need joyful memories of the past. The present moment is the biggest present (gift).

To be. 

Sorry this just isn't true at all. 

The NOW is all that exists, you are always in the now, whether you are conscious of it or not, and whether you are thinking or not. 

Of course, things such as meditation, transmissions, Psyches, awakenings etc can all increase awareness of the presence within us, and make it clearer and clearer that our true nature is beyond thought. 

BUT, this doesn't mean thoughts don't have their place and aren't helpful, for example, when doing work, or planning a trip is a great time to use thoughts, but once done, you simply put your tool that is the mind away. True peace, is when you can be happy & at peace whether there is thoughts or not, then you are in a truly 'thoughtless' state as thoughts lose their power over you. 

Sorry, but this is a common misconception & I didn't want Op to get confused,

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

15 hours ago, JosephKnecht said:

To be. 

Are we supposed to be always in the present? Is that the true nature of our consciousness?

15 hours ago, seeking_brilliance said:

relish all you want...Why not? Just don't be attached to them, they are imaginary fluff anyway. I relish my dreams at night. 

1 hour ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Sorry this just isn't true at all. 

The NOW is all that exists, you are always in the now, whether you are conscious of it or not, and whether you are thinking or not. 

Of course, things such as meditation, transmissions, Psyches, awakenings etc can all increase awareness of the presence within us, and make it clearer and clearer that our true nature is beyond thought. 

BUT, this doesn't mean thoughts don't have their place and aren't helpful, for example, when doing work, or planning a trip is a great time to use thoughts, but once done, you simply put your tool that is the mind away. True peace, is when you can be happy & at peace whether there is thoughts or not, then you are in a truly 'thoughtless' state as thoughts lose their power over you. 

This is really helpful, thank you!

9 hours ago, An young being said:

Are we supposed to be always in the present? Is that the true nature of our consciousness?

You are always in the present, but you are not fully present when thoughts of the past or dreams of the future consume your attention. 

To be present at the moment means to shift all attention to the present moment. 

It is ok to have thoughts as long as thoughts don't have control over you. Meditation helps with this. 

10 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

No worries. I think it helped a young being. @An young being

On 7/7/2020 at 9:22 PM, JosephKnecht said:

To be. 

If you don't need something that doesn't mean that you can not have it. In fact that's when you can really enjoy something, what you need is only a tool, sucks when missing but nothing when you got it.

@An young being The truth is the past and memories of the past are imaginary - just like the future.  But then again you as an ego are imaginary as well.  Can they be embraced? Sure.  But for many awakened beings  liberation is to be free from their past.  

Are memories imaginary? Yes.  Do they cease to exist when you are not directly aware of them? YES.  Your memories literally cease to exist or never existed unless you "bring them" into your direct awareness.    Why? They were never actual to begin with.  Because you never were a human!  The Truth is you are God or the present moment!   And you hold all things within your imagination

It goes much deeper.  Your own mother ceases to exist outside of direct awareness because she is imaginary.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

I sometimes can't bring myself to think about memories even if I wanted to. The present moment has a tendency to suck you in.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

3 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

I sometimes can't bring myself to think about memories even if I wanted to. The present moment has a tendency to suck you in.

Which means you are more in touch with Truth and probably spiritually gifted.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

10 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

This "spiritualy gifted" One bitch about past way to often. ?

There is no "me" to be spiritualy gifted at all. There is only Infinite Actual me

What spiritualy gifted "me" really. Well lets say I sold my Soul to devil and created person. 

You really can't fool God. 

But ya know lets keep shape shift and lets keep re inventing. ?Nothing else we can do. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

7 minutes ago, zeroISinfinity said:

There is no "me" to be spiritualy gifted at all. There is only Infinite Actual me

Do not conflate the relative with the Absolute.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

When you are Infinite and everything. Paradox is how would you know? 

Great Love and it's Self discovery. 

Dreamed life to discover Infinite Love. 

After everything gets inverted and you see things from correct perspective. Also everything collapses onto you. 

This game just.... 

What a greqt Journey from same spot to same spot. What sorcery is that. ?

About memories and all that jazz. Well you hold onto them because memories keep your person alive or idea of you alive. You can freely let go of all of them. Now it's scary does it. Your mind doesn't like this stuff. Maybe mind fools you? 

1 hour ago, Inliytened1 said:

It's a gift and a curse. I found out I fear Truth.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

There's no duality. Past and future occur now, but that also means that there is no "now" in opposition to the past or future. You know by how it feels when you think of the past and future if you're thinking about them the way your True Self sees them. If it feels good to remember something, it will likely bring around more amazing experiences in kind. If it feels awful to remember something likewise it will bring about more experiences like it. If it feels bad to remember something good out of longing for it, don't. If it feels good like nostalgia, do. 

You can even experience such an open hearted open-minded state that memories that you always thought were awful occur to you and are seen in a new light and are seen in a big picture context. 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

it means that in our practices, we would have an inner experience that appears to be more real than any outer ones. that's when your memories peel off energetically from you even though you remember them. 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

Well you are always living in the past. And you are always living In the present.   Living in the present because that's where everything occurs.. In the present. Living In the past because almost 99% of the content of this present is fantasizing about stuff that aren't actually in the present. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

15 hours ago, JosephKnecht said:

You are always in the present, but you are not fully present when thoughts of the past or dreams of the future consume your attention. 

To be present at the moment means to shift all attention to the present moment. 

It is ok to have thoughts as long as thoughts don't have control over you. Meditation helps with this. 

No worries. I think it helped a young being. @An young being

Thanks for the clarification ?

15 hours ago, Litaken said:

If you don't need something that doesn't mean that you can not have it. In fact that's when you can really enjoy something, what you need is only a tool, sucks when missing but nothing when you got it.

Right, there's a huge difference between having something and needing something.

14 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

@An young being The truth is the past and memories of the past are imaginary - just like the future.  But then again you as an ego are imaginary as well.  Can they be embraced? Sure.  But for many awakened beings  liberation is to be free from their past.  

Are memories imaginary? Yes.  Do they cease to exist when you are not directly aware of them? YES.  Your memories literally cease to exist or never existed unless you "bring them" into your direct awareness.    Why? They were never actual to begin with.  Because you never were a human!  The Truth is you are God or the present moment!   And you hold all things within your imagination

It goes much deeper.  Your own mother ceases to exist outside of direct awareness because she is imaginary.

Thank you, I understand that the memories are imaginary, even if it's my mother. I think such understanding helps us to switch our perceptions, but isn't such heightened consciousness only temporary and exists to learn the true nature of our consciousness? After that, we get back to our ego self, right? Won't it become difficult to become liberated and always live in the present consciousness but with the family and society we believe in, knowing that everything is imaginary? 

12 hours ago, mandyjw said:

There's no duality. Past and future occur now, but that also means that there is no "now" in opposition to the past or future. You know by how it feels when you think of the past and future if you're thinking about them the way your True Self sees them. If it feels good to remember something, it will likely bring around more amazing experiences in kind. If it feels awful to remember something likewise it will bring about more experiences like it. If it feels bad to remember something good out of longing for it, don't. If it feels good like nostalgia, do. 

You can even experience such an open hearted open-minded state that memories that you always thought were awful occur to you and are seen in a new light and are seen in a big picture context. 

Thank you ! Nowadays I have learnt to view the past memory in my mind as well as feel the emotions, only that I embrace it and not react to it, learning to feel good about it. I feel this happens in dreams as well, our mind playing strong emotional thoughts again and again so many times that we are not affected much by them in the present by not reacting much to it.

4 hours ago, hamedsf said:

it means that in our practices, we would have an inner experience that appears to be more real than any outer ones. that's when your memories peel off energetically from you even though you remember them. 

Does it mean they get erased from our memory?

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Well you are always living in the past. And you are always living In the present.   Living in the present because that's where everything occurs.. In the present. Living In the past because almost 99% of the content of this present is fantasizing about stuff that aren't actually in the present. 

This makes sense!