LifeLife

How Do You Make Gym Fun?

32 posts in this topic

How do ya'll vary your workouts to make it fun, and not feel like a chore at times.

What is your goal? Find what your goal is and work from there. 

The secret for sustainable fitness is finding a workout routine you like. You can maintain a decent level of fitness with almost any activity - yoga, swimming, football, bodybuilding, crossfit etc. If you're trying to achieve a specific outcome i.e. get stronger or build muscle, then you have to do resistance training. If you want to increase cardiovascular fitness, then you have to do respectful activities.

When it comes to motivating yourself or to have more fun while training, then you simply have to start loving the process. For me, working out is one of my favourite activities. It's almost therapeutic. You're in a state, where your body is exhausted but your mind is completely alert. I've experienced this unity of body and mind that's achieved by yoga in any other sport as well. Doing handstand push ups or heavy barbel squats is as zen-like as holding an asana. 

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

Yes, find something you like and don't over do it. Most beginners who are trying to get into working out makes this crucial mistake that hits their motivation hard after a couple of weeks.

Then you should keep your priorities straight and write down your goal. For the most time in the past, I couldn't make myself do some activity because I put video games and school on a higher priority, so each time when I forced myself to run or go to the gym, I would constantly think about the work and friends that are awaiting me at home.

Motivation. Leo has some videos on it, check them out. Write down your long time goals, don't follow negative motivation and don't expect fast results!

I change the workout routine every so often to keep things fresh. Depending on your goals (strength, power, cardio, mobility etc.), there could be numerous ways to exercise and make changes: different exercises for muscles groups, number of reps, speed of reps, sets, scheduling of the exercise, circuit, with or without a partner/trainer, group circuit, with/without weights, (there's lots of ideas on Youtube).

Great suggestions  ,  Also if your getting bored with it try adding new exercises into the routine to inspire you again.

I have been enjoying my ab workouts but not my weights so much atm , once my core gets stronger I'll enjoy lifting a lot more so I have been beating on my abs but good.

Workout is not fun and shouldn't be. Sorry to break it down to you this way. 

If it is fun, you do it wrong. If you consider a fun workout seeing unfit people chatting and laughing while doing a stationary bicycle, that is not a workout, that is rubbish. If you have time to talk between your breathing, you are not working out. 

Workout is painful, hard and brings little enjoyment while you do it. That being said, yes many times I feel excited for the gym or my training but once I am there and doing this stuff that hurts like hell, it is not fun. 

So how do you actually enjoy your fitness routines? 

Suggest you focus on your results. If you are after muscle mass, take a picture of yourself, measure your chest, tights, biceps, etc..compare results over time. Test your strength in bench-press or squads... If you are after weight loss, have your weight and bod-fat measured, compare over time. Whatever it is, you can keep track of it. Once you see an improvement, that is when the enjoyment and happiness comes. The very nature of improving will push you to work harder because you know it bears fruit. Focus on long term results , not immediate enjoyment. 

Take fitness as a lifelong journey, it will be boring sometimes, mostly painful, you will need to push yourself to do it quite often while your friends will try to distract you, your PC, TV will try to distract you, junk food sellers will try to distract you. 

Build your "own castle", build a routine, motivate yourself by the achievements you have already had and visualise yourself even better. Don't compare yourself to others however use them for your benefit. If you see someone who looks great, don't go thinking "man that dude is on roids or has no life besides fitness. " instead think; "What do I need to do to get closer to him/ What part of the routine do I need to change? If he got there, so can I." 

Find a fitness partner who will motivate you to work harder and make it to the gym every time, I found that to be extremely beneficial. Care for each other, exchange knowledge and tips, share your tips with other people and learn their approach, be open minded, don't stick to the same routine and you'll get there. The journey will be your happiness. 

Your body will thank you for it

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

When doing reps....I make a specific sound when it gets hard....it's like a signature sound!!! Many people have it. Makes the workout funny & enjoyable "Heeep!"

@Michael569 Rubbish. You shouldn't speak in such absolutes. My daily workout is the highlight of my day! There's nothing I enjoy more than pushing myself to the limits of my physical and mental abilities. Even a "bad" workout where you go into it tired and you're not in the zone like usual leaves me feeling better afterward.

To the OP, find a specific routine that suits you. Preferably one designed by someone you admire and respect, and who has a physique you desire. Research the hell out of it. Watch videos or read articles by the creator about why it's so great. Having this person in the back of your mind as your coach pushing you can make a ton of difference. If you're well off financially consider hiring an online coach to write a program/diet if you think that'd help keep you motivated.

Edited by ChimpBrain

Smoke a small amount of weed before you go in, let me know how that works out for you.

Edited by Kevin Dunlop

@popi its about building a friend circle and training together and giving each other power my friends don't want to join even when i forcibly download the app in their phone .. a support system is a really helpful tool, specially friends with whom you can grow yourself

Well,to me a "fun" workout to me is pushing my body to the limit on the verge of puking.That keeps things interesting.:P

But if you're doing the same shit day in day out,then of course you'll get bored with it.So vary it up a little bit.

53 minutes ago, Elton said:

@popi its about building a friend circle and training together and giving each other power my friends don't want to join even when i forcibly download the app in their phone .. a support system is a really helpful tool, specially friends with whom you can grow yourself

Haha I see. I hope that we can share our motivation! Good luck so see you soon :P 

18 hours ago, Kevin Dunlop said:

Smoke a small amount of weed before you go in, let me know how that works out for you.

this is a good advice, it also works for running. i havent done this for a long time, but it can make the activity more fun

6 minutes ago, popi said:

@Richard Alpert  ???????? Well done!!!!

Weed before exercise. Healthy as fuck.

Well done. Do this people!!!

Weed is healthy.

a lot of high level athletes and bodybuilders do this.

45 minutes ago, popi said:

@Richard Alpert  ???????? Well done!!!!

Weed before exercise. Healthy as fuck.

Well done. Do this people!!!

Weed is healthy.

Cannabis use is actually pretty common amongst ultra-endurance athletes and has been proven to have benefits in this particular realm of exercise. 

I've tried it for bodybuilding purposes and don't care for it personally. It reduces my level of aggression. 

Edited by ChimpBrain