Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spiral

Brain boosting food.

14 posts in this topic

I feel mentally slow and my memory is poor. I’m only 24 so I do not feel like I should have these types of mental issues. So I reckon it’s a nutrition problem.   

Any tips for brain boosting foods/diets/supplements?

Edited by Spiral

Eat a lot of vegetables & fruit. Moderate protein. Moderate nuts. Drink a gallon of water per day.

Try to eliminate sugar, wheat, dairy & junk food. The elimination of bad foods is as important as the adding of healthy foods especially for how you feel.

Try to get the highest quality foods.

Edited by FlowerNote

Pretty much what was said above. 

Make sure not to skip meals and start day with proper breakfast. Eat a source of protein with every meal but don't rely too heavily on animal foods if you consume them. Good sources of fats to support nervous system and neurotransmitter production. Eat them every day and in their natural raw form. 

Lots of vegetables and fruits to ensure intake of all necessary micronutrients that are used as cofactors for metabolic processes. 

50% of your plate should be vegetables, 20% protein and 30% wholegrain carbohydrates. I'd probably avoid white rice white potatoes and white pastries and replace them with wholegrain alternatives. 

Possible caffeine dependence could be an issue as well. Thyroid could be a bit off if the brain fog is not explained. Iron could be low but that needs to be tested before supplementing. 

ALso cut all deliveries, sugar, hydrogenated fats, crackers, biscuits, sodas, fizzy drinks, energy drinks and everything that requires chemicals to keep it digestible. 

If you are someone doing  a lot of intermittent fasting, I'd suggest getting back to regular eating. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Spiral Do you exercise? 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw nope, I did last year but got occupied with other things and then corona came and they gym shut down. I suppose cardio is what really counts? 

@FlowerNote@Michael569 thanks for the advice, gonna miss the white rice :(

@Spiral Check out youtube for at home workouts, there are tons of amazing ones out there. Just 10 or 15 minutes a day makes such a difference. Cardio clears my head a bit better than weight training, but either will be a huge boost. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I recommend breathing exercises: box breathing, Wim Hoff breathing (with 2 min. holds and DMT breathing). You can also find on YouTube Sadguru's Nada Yoga.

Reducing carbohydrates and intermittent fasting works for me. Using 500 mg of berberine (or metformin) two to three times a day is also very helpful.

I am adding 100-200 my l-theanine to my coffee twice a day. My impression is that it works best with empty stomach.

Sulbutiamine + alpha gpc + uridine (I'm sceptical about the liast) works really well. I'm eating 4-6 eggs a day - it's very cheap source of choline :P

@Spiral How much saturated fat & Polyunsaturated fat do you consume?

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

@Spiral  Don't completely cut white rice off, but consider it a 'bad carb' for rarer occasions.

Be carefull if you switch diet too radically, your body and mind may take some time to adapt. Especially if your diet isn't very well balanced. I'd rather focus on one or two areas at a time.

I wouldn't recommend (too much) supplements before your diet is fixed. They're called 'supplements', not 'substitutes'

Good quality omega 3's fats are essential for the brain/memory, as the body needs them from outside sources and can't make them

Huel is a great way to improve your nutrition, even having it just for breakfast makes me feel way more energized than without it

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

@Spiral These are the best things you should try Regular basis

Wholegrains  - May improve concentration and focus

Oily fish -  May promote healthy brain function

Blueberries - May boost short-term memory

Tomatoes -May prevent free radical damage 

Eggs -  May delay brain shrinkage

Blackcurrants - May reduce anxiety and stress

Pumpkin seeds -  May enhance memory and boost mood

Broccoli - May improve brainpower

Sage -  May boost memory and concentration

Nuts - May help protect healthy brain function

Regular exercise, intermittent fasting, quitting sugar/coffee/tea completely, drinking lots of water, eating proper food.