ravlondon

Coronavirus

44 posts in this topic

I know this may sound ridiculous to some but I am fearful off coronavirus. 

I live in London and there are all ethnic groups here and the tube is always packed full of people. 

Do you lot think I should wear a scarf or face mask on my commute? 

Load up on vitamins and antioxidant supplements. That will be much more helpful as it boosts your immune system.

The folks who die from it probably have the weakest immune systems. And that's something you can improve.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

What types? I eat large amounts of salad everyday. 

I'll take extra vitamins. 

Edited by ravlondon

Seems like every person in China is wearing a mask in public even in areas far away from the epicenter of the outbreak. I live in a gated community here and it is compulsory for every single person who enters to have their temperature taken via a kind of thermometer gun by a person in a white jumpsuit, rather ominous if you ask me.

People here are very worried, but ironically the flu kills and infects many more people every year apparently.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

About 2-3% of those who have contracted the disease have died, mostly just the sick and elderly. So probably no need to worry.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

Let's evaporate your fear and worry by thinking about this rationally for a second. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day around the world from things we deem "acceptable" but are almost completely avoidable;

- Alcohol poisoning

- Lung related illnesses from smoking

- Car accidents

- Smog

- Heart related illnesses from poor diet

etc. You see the point?

You can't reasonably worry about an obscure virus that has barely killed 100 people after a few months, when like most people you don't even give a fuck about the SWATHES of people that die all the time from completely avoidable activities.

It's just silly lol.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

I have been kinda concerned by this as well to be honest and dug as deep as possible trying to stay really unbiased.
First of all what Leo wrote is probably the best you can actually do right now.
The problem there is so much different information about it and so many conspiracies which for all we know some might be true, that the Chinese government isn't being really truthful about it this is for sure.
Mortality rate seems very low for now, but you need to consider that it's a virus which can mutate at any given time although I am seeing the low mortality as the really positive news about it.
I've seen the videos and how nurses and doctors are in panic and forced to work by the government, which is kinda scary for sure.
I mean they won't quarantine 56 million people for a virus with 4500 infections and "just" 107 deaths, obviously there is more to it and also the overcrowded hospitals with corpses laying on the floor which you see in at least one video I have seen is kinda concerning since they are supposed to have a capacity of 49000 beds, I honestly think the personal is simply missing and doesn't have the resources to cover the amount of people coming in, which is the limiting factor that probably determines this low number of officially infected people, they simply don't have the resources and personal to test everyone who is coming in and people are literally getting sick in the hospitals waiting in queue, worst idea one could have to go there, because they have only supportive measures anyway after all.
The scary thing is the incubation time which is estimated to be around 2-14 days, 14 days means that they can literally infect everyone around them for the whole amount of time without even noticing the symptoms and governments keep up the silly temperature scanners to test people at airports, it's a joke really. What are they testing if there are no symptoms?
Here in Germany as of today have 1 confirmed case. There was a businesswomen from China giving him and a small work group some kind of training and she was here since 19.01.2020 which is hella scary considering she claims her symptoms started just on the flight home. The man kept going to work for multiple days. We will know the real current infected numbers from today in like 7-14 days.
Some videos of people just collapsing in the middle of the street without any movement afterwards what so ever.
These are kinda the straight facts on this.

There are many rumors which are very scary but I would really take them with a grain of salt.
A video of a nurse where she already claimed at least 2 days ago 90k infected and that the virus mutated into stage 2 where it's much worse, some people are saying this stage one is just a kind of cover for this real virus to make people downplay it, till it's too late.
Some are claiming it's just because they want the population to use vaccines and basically stop all people who are anti vaccines.
There is a security level 4 bio research facility exactly in the place where the virus originated in Wuhan. Some people claim it's from there.
That's about it for now.

Edited by LaucherJunge

Yeah, I commute on the same train that also goes to Heathrow Airport, so there are almost definitely a few people in the UK that have it.

4 hours ago, ravlondon said:

I live in London and there are all ethnic groups here and the tube is always packed full of people. 

Washing your hands is the #1 thing you can do. Hospital workers often don't wear a mask, despite being in the line of fire, but they always wash their hands.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

2 hours ago, outlandish said:

Washing your hands is the #1 thing you can do. Hospital workers often don't wear a mask, despite being in the line of fire, but they always wash their hands.

You are correct about hand washing! (I'm an RN) In the hospital "usually" staff don't wear a mask (you are right), unless it's a respirator, to protect against TB infected patients. 

I've washed my hands so much over the years they have a hard time finger printing me when I start a new job, because I've worn them away. xD

Ppl die of the flu too, but mostly the sick and elderly. Time will tell, but this sounds similar to the flu to me, as far as it causing death. Also, If you don't live in China I don't think you need to go around wearing a mask. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

2 hours ago, outlandish said:

Washing your hands is the #1 thing you can do.

Such devilry! ;)

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/01/12/375663920/the-doctor-who-championed-hand-washing-and-saved-women-s-lives

"What Semmelweis had discovered is something that still holds true today: Hand-washing is one of the most important tools in public health. It can keep kids from getting the flu, prevent the spread of disease and keep infections at bay.

You'd think everyone would be thrilled. Semmelweis had solved the problem! But they weren't thrilled.

For one thing, doctors were upset because Semmelweis' hypothesis made it look like they were the ones giving childbed fever to the women.

And Semmelweis was not very tactful. He publicly berated people who disagreed with him and made some influential enemies.

Eventually the doctors gave up the chlorine hand-washing, and Semmelweis — he lost his job.

Even today, convincing health care providers to take hand washing seriously is a challenge.

Semmelweis kept trying to convince doctors in other parts of Europe to wash with chlorine, but no one would listen to him."

13 hours ago, ravlondon said:

yes, why not! but buy one that really is medical and next time you have a flu wear it. it’s rediculous that people who have a flu infect others while they could minimize it by wearing a mask.

often people who die of viruses are dehydrated.

washing hands is important, regularly but will not safe you from high infectants, the ones that are feared mostly like multidrug resistant bacteria or some viruses stick longer and washing hands from time to time might not be enough. you need a hand disinfectant which kills 99% of all bacteria to be safe there. there are some that are organic the bonner thing for ex. contains strong alcohol. you don’t need to use it all the time but yes after using a metropolitan subway it could be a good idea. just don’t do it half ways if you really already are caring to not get it. i also use to stop breathing as long as possible if i hear someone sneezing.

Edited by remember

20 hours ago, ravlondon said:

Will wearing a mask make you less fearful?

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That story is super interesting. 

I've heard that many doctors are still negligent about handwashing, and that this is still an issue in hospitals (less so with nurses than docs). Perhaps @Anna1 can speak to that?

it’s something that has to be addressed systemically in hospitals. also the mask issue has to be addressed at one point also in europe and probably in the us. as  multiresistent bacteria will at one point in the future probably be more often a reason for death than cancer. there are more every year.

two of the places where they grow really dangerously is factory farming and hospitals - the hospitals in some countries are better in keeping these in check than in others. for example netherlands hospitals are more consequent in executing on hygiene measurements than in for example germany and great britain, where it’s so so. these are systemical problems. i guess the doctors are washing their hands for their own sake... it’s probably not really the handwashing, but other problems like keeping quarantine because of a lack of space and low budget for hygienic measures. snow blindness and stress, and in some sense the invisibility is probably the biggest enemy in hospitals. some intelligent hygienic quality management could probably solve that.

one of the most dangerous places where viruses and multiresistent bacteria grow though is in factory farms because they are lacking in hygienic measures and even more ignorantly the animals there are fed with the antibiotics which then won’t work at the hospitals anymore. (well for viruses they don’t work anyways - just wanted to point out the growing threat, but usually antibiotic intake increases potential virus infections so it is all interconnected)

i would not care for fashion reasons or whatever people say - people in the west will have to get used to sanity masks in subways in the near future anyways - how funny it might seem, it’s just a matter of time and it’s maybe in some cases more sane than not to.

Edited by remember

11 minutes ago, remember said:

i would not care for fashion reasons or whatever people say - people in the west will have to get used to sanity masks in subways in the near future anyways - how funny it might seem, it’s just a matter of time and it’s maybe in some cases more sane than not to.

Funny enough many people wear respirator masks as a fashion statement. Others for a sense of comfort in public, to become a bit more anonymous amongst the masses. So it's not always for disease prevention or filtering air pollution

https://matcha-jp.com/en/2245

"Fashion Masks" <- they have a bunch of masks branded "MEO" lol

Burner/festie fashion etc..

1 hour ago, outlandish said:

That story is super interesting. 

I've heard that many doctors are still negligent about handwashing, and that this is still an issue in hospitals (less so with nurses than docs). Perhaps @Anna1 can speak to that?

This is true. I'm not in the hospital anymore, but yes, many don't wash there hands. They say they don't have time. It's the ones in a hurry that won't.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I don't think the virus will be that deadly, common flus kill more people every year.

But, just in case, where can I get one of these bubbles? :D

2 hours ago, Hatfort said:

But, just in case, where can I get one of these bubbles? :D

you are already in it sweetheart, all the time ;) 

it‘s just a matter of adjusting the buffer zone and a matter of going from opaque to transparency. :ph34r: