Forrest Adkins

Would an Enlightened Person be able to say no to heroin?

38 posts in this topic

Would a Buddha-level enlightened person with a body that is physically addicted to heroin and in withdrawal be able to say no to a hit if locked alone with it in a room?

13 minutes ago, Forrest Adkins said:

Would a Buddha-level enlightened person with a body that is physically addicted to heroin and in withdrawal be able to say no to a hit if locked alone with it in a room?

@Forrest Adkins An enlightened person could quit any addiction they want to at any time so they would probably not be addicted to something so damaging. 

As to whether an enlightened person would ever try heroin once, a yogi or buddhist monk definitely not. An enlightened Tantrika might try it if they decide they want to try it for their own reasons but they would not get attached.

Edited by Matt8800

@Matt8800 I asked specifically about a person that is already physically addicted because im sure someone like that would not even get addicted in the first place. I just want to know if someone like that would be able to resist such an urge.

One thing I know from personal experience is that addiction comes from emotional pain - the physical addiction is nothing more than reflection. 

You can read 'In the realm of hungry ghosts: Close encounters with addiction' - Gabor Mate.

An enlightened human has overcome all pain - at least that is what enlightened people say.  

I was addicted to tobacco. I smoked for 13 years. Not much, but every day, between 4-10 cigarettes. I don't anymore. You could lock me in with a pack, I would not want to smoke it. Sometimes I will get a memory of how I used to smoke after a meal, and the next immediate thought is how happy I am I don't have to smoke anymore.  

I am not enlightened, I just had an awakening about tobacco. Still waiting on the awakening on alcohol. I can't say that I am addicted to it, but sometimes I really wanna have it

Edited by Codrina

31 minutes ago, Forrest Adkins said:

@Matt8800 I asked specifically about a person that is already physically addicted because im sure someone like that would not even get addicted in the first place. I just want to know if someone like that would be able to resist such an urge.

@Forrest Adkins Yes, they would be able to "resist" it. Resistance is more just being fully aware of it with mindfulness and letting it be without acting.

Edited by Matt8800

I would say morality, addictions, and habits are orthogonal to Enlightenment.  Enlightenment is just liberation from the suffering caused by a view of self.

5 hours ago, Forrest Adkins said:

Can a cat fly faster than an eagle?

unborn Truth

They may if they wanted and if they couldn't they wouldn't...?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Enlightenment isn’t a fixed state so it would depend on what day that person was out in the position. Ive also wondered if perhaps heroin could be used spiritually in some way ??‍♂️ 

11 hours ago, Forrest Adkins said:

yes

On 11/14/2019 at 9:23 PM, Codrina said:

You can read 'In the realm of hungry ghosts: Close encounters with addiction' - Gabor Mate.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for recommending Dr. Gabor Mate.

I found out about him a few days ago and since then, I'm getting better.

Just the thought of The Possible Human makes me happier and hopeful for the future.

Seneca would say: "Always decide in your own favor. Wash your doubts with hopes."

Love, inner peace, health and the present moment are fundamental-basic human qualities.

When people take drugs, they are separated from those qualities.

Then what separates us from all these inherent human qualities like love, inner-peace, and overall happiness?

Childhood trauma. It deprives us of love, inner peace, health, and happiness overall.

We can heal but it's painful.

P.S: I often think about those people who have happy childhoods. Are they able to sympathize with us? Can someone understand what emotional pain is unless he experiences it?

Edited by The Don
To add a few words.

Me on the road less traveled.

"Is a person in active addiction Enlightened"? That's how I'm reading this. Tolle says that in active addiction a person is unconscious. Not awake so to speak.

I was addicted to crack for 18 years. Haven't had a need for it since 2013 however I continued to smoke weed, cigarettes and alcohol. I've recently overcome the pot and alcohol and am using Chantix to get over the cigarettes. These are what Leo calls hard addictions. At present my challenge is to recognize that I also have emotional addictions, thinking habits, soft addictions. Many if not most cause harm and are destructive. I'm also attempting to be free from 12-step programs... the whole addiction movement as I'm seeing that these are simply better alternatives, games, yet not the answer. Eric Berne M.D. in his book "Games People Play" suggests that addictions are games, namely the game "alcoholic" in his book... that are simply a replacement and not the solution. Self-actualization, Mindfulness, "Know Thyself" all seem to be the better way. 

I agree with what was said, "it really depends on the time of day as to how Enlightened a person is" because speaking for myself, life like a hurricane is always on the move. The winds beat at us but then the eye. If we move with it, staying in the eye... all is peaceful, serene. But once we get still... (I'm realizing that this doesn't jive with the stillness movement so take it with a grain of salt). Complacency isn't my friend and I divorced self-pity a long time ago. I'm rambling again...

❤??????

On 11/14/2019 at 5:07 PM, ajasatya said:

Can a cat fly faster than an eagle?

Heroin common drug of aa "Drug Addict" 

Amy Winehouse is a crazy drug addict.

Amy Winehouse is a heroin whore. 

Enlightenment is true essential absolute source and the discovery of a whole dimension of yourself hidden in plain sight that you had never experienced before "your true Self". This dimension is not perceivable with the senses because it’s not within the field of your awareness. Instead, it is the source and ground of your awareness itself.

Therefore, you can’t know this dimension with the mind. You can only know it by being it, which activates a dormant cognitive device far superior to the mind. This is achieved by forgoing all mental distractions and allowing every bit of your awareness to return to its source. Because when the full weight of your attention rests idly on its ground, a sinkhole opens up into this dimension and you become your true Self. It is feeling spirit that dwells in all life, "oneness"

RIP   

Edited by pink
done

3 hours ago, pink said:

?Heroin common drug of aa "Drug Addict" 

?Amy Winehouse is a crazy drug addict.

?Amy Winehouse is a heroin whore.

? This is achieved by forgoing all mental distractions and allowing every bit of your awareness to return to its source. 

I don't mind saying that the spirit in which this was written seems a little suspicious... however the rest of what I read was helpful. 

22 hours ago, Eugenio said:

heroin whore

These are the 4 main archetypes (Carolyn Myss.  Caroline Myss is of whom l was referring to. l studied intensively with her decades ago when she first wrote "why ppl don't heal." Myss writes about primary archetypes also.)+ (and she wrote many more individualized ones): one could have strength or weakness in these areas:

1 prostitute- where we are very willing to participate in selling out our self ie -Generally insecure, lacking self-respect, heroin hoe

2 saboteur- where we are driving on an off-ramp, not on the main road that has a sense of quality for us

3 victim- mistakes, generally challenged with loss

4 Child- young, inexperienced, underdeveloped, they smile & are innocent  

We all know these way too well- each is human vulnerabilities too, no matter.

Edited by pink
done

A normal person could do that, I don't see why an enlightened one wouldn't be able to.

People have said no to heroin without being Buddhas. Just ordinary people.

Of course this doesn't mean it will be pleasant.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.