allislove

Just flip a coin

20 posts in this topic

I want to share a simple technique which I use for about half a year and it worked quite well so far. 

It's called "coin flipping". If my monkey-mind can't choose between two options after giving thought to it - I just flip a coin. Let's say I can't decide which socks to wear - blue or red? I just say head of coin is red socks and tail is blue. Then I just flip a coin. 

It worked for me with simple choices like go home or continue to walk, or go to some place or not. Also, it worked with more serious stuff like to tell a person something or not, to buy something or not. 

Nothing is random in the Universe including flipping a coin. You just need to have more trust in process. I imagine this is the way how my higher self helps me to make a right choice. 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

When u flip the coin at that precise moment your mind will show u what u want. Choose that instead of coin result.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Serotoninluv I honestly don't know. I think I choose it spontaneously right before the coin flipping. But it seems I always put the "right choice" to my favorite side of coin. :D

@Harikrishnan thanks for suggestion. The coin result was always correlating with want I want so far. :)

@dimitri Hmmm, maybe one side of the coin represents head and the other side represents heart. Or one side intuition and the other side thinking. 

When the coin is in the air, is does a hope arise that it lands on one side? That may give some insight.

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@dimitri Hmmm, maybe one side of the coin represents head and the other side represents heart. Or one side intuition and the other side thinking. 

When the coin is in the air, is does a hope arise that it lands on one side? That may give some insight.

Definitely, a hope arises for a serious stuff. 

2 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

@dimitri How do you determine which option is “heads” and which option is “tails”?

That's not the point. But perhaps you mean something deeper?

4 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

That's not the point. But perhaps you mean something deeper?

Part tongue-in-cheek. Part something deeper. But not in a rational/logical way. More like an intuitive, synchronicity kind of way.

6 hours ago, Harikrishnan said:

When u flip the coin at that precise moment your mind will show u what u want. Choose that instead of coin result.

This gets tricky. Fear and survival can distort this practice.

I’m gonna give this a try, although I am never carrying a coin with me, maybe I’ll install a coin flipping phone app.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

18 hours ago, dimitri said:

I want to share a simple technique which I use for about half a year and it worked quite well so far. 

It's called "coin flipping". If my monkey-mind can't choose between two options after giving thought to it - I just flip a coin. Let's say I can't decide which socks to wear - blue or red? I just say head of coin is red socks and tail is blue. Then I just flip a coin. 

It worked for me with simple choices like go home or continue to walk, or go to some place or not. Also, it worked with more serious stuff like to tell a person something or not, to buy something or not. 

Nothing is random in the Universe including flipping a coin. You just need to have more trust in process. I imagine this is the way how my higher self helps me to make a right choice. 

I'm gonna give this a go ? thanks! Taking decisions is always a drag for me

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

I'm a tarot intuitive and do this all the time with the cards. If I know I've given time to contemplation, I just drop a card and follow the lead (for me, I get more information than just a coin flip, but I find, when I don't want or need more information, I get something that's a clear yes or no, like a reverse or Death/Tower vs Star/Sun). When people get in touch with me and want a "should I or shouldn't I" and don't seem to want more than just that- especially if they come back again and again with yes/no, this-or-that kind of questions, I suggest coin flips all the time. You're right, nothing is random. (Or, I suppose you could say, "random is fine". And I suppose you could also say "Action beats inaction.") 

I am glad you guys open to this technique :)

If somebody told me about such technique one year ago I would probably laugh and call it at least 'silly'. But after trying psychodelics, attempting Vipassana retreat, meditations AND feeling synchronicity everywhere I am sure this technique works. :D

I use it sometimes too. I have done it in the past and then even though the coing result was B I sometimes still went with choice A in the end, because I somewhere felt that I knew I had to do A instead of B. Other times, I truly didn't know at all and then the coin flipping method was indeed the best way to go about it. I don't tend to use it though unless I'm absolutely exactly caught in between.

I am using a new account named "Nightwise". In in fact intend to stop using this account from now on and use that account instead. So I am not planning on using these two account interchangeably or intermittently. Only "Nightwise" from now on. I am doing so merely because I like the username much more. For some reason, that feels to be important to me. 

Yeah, randomness is actually an impossibility in the absolute sense. Or maybe a better phrasing is that true randomness simply does not exist. Randomness implies, “could have been otherwise” but there is only right now. There is only being. So.. yeah no need to get too deep in an explanation. 

Yes this coin flip method is awesome. Although it’s funny because sometimes when you flip you’ll discover which answer your heart or mind actually wants. So then the outcome isn’t even the most useful data. I like it great post :) 

Great post and a good reminder to train ourselves away from the constant reasoning and rationalizing and learn to be okay again with a little uncertainty. ☺️

@Consilience But I do love that sometimes the "outcome" is your heart finally screaming through in that last moment, so that *is* the most useful data. :) 

I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse here, but I find this all rather silly, from a rational/logical/materialist perspective, since this is the paradigm in which this conversation is occurring.. (trying to make sense of senselessness) 

The 'coin flip' technique.. as it's referred to here, contains the notion that there is a 'you' who is 'flipping the coin'.  There is the notion of a 'doer'. There is also the notion that there are 'choices'.  

As Serotoninluv pointed out (tongue in cheek or not), 'you' are never in a position to know why you 'chose to flip a coin' vs. say 'rolling some dice'.. 

What one begins to realize, is that notions of 'choice' fall outside the 'rational/logical/materialist' paradigm.  From a 'rational/logical/materialist' paradigm, where there is a 'you' who is 'doing' the coin flipping as opposed to a more 'holistic' paradigm where there exists a 'you who flips coins sometimes', notions of 'choice' are nonsense/irrational/illogical.  

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

One thing I've noticed is that it takes exactly 0 effort by me, to 'be me'. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."