Dwarniel

Greta Thunbergs speech

90 posts in this topic

I'm just going to leave this here. This speech gave me chills. 

...But what if the opposite is true?

I recall when I was that age, my biggest fear was the killer bee's coming up from the south and killing all of us.  I prayed that the ice age they were talking about would happen sooner so the bee's wouldn't come any further north.  It's too bad we put children through this kind of trauma every generation.

48 minutes ago, Bodigger said:

I recall when I was that age, my biggest fear was the killer bee's coming up from the south and killing all of us.  

The killer bee's have already arrived and have been killing us. More bees on the way. . .

Damn good.

I'm glad that there seems to be a tide turning, both in me and outside of me, since around the time the news of the Amazon being on fire broke. 

My impression is that the gravity of the situation is starting to hit larger swaths of the population. 

Let's hope that that gravity hits enough people soon enough.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

Love it, Greta is an angel! :'-)

We live in a truly magical and important moment in time.

@Johnny even if it is is propaganda, what’s wrong with cutting carbon emissions and transitioning aggressively towards new and renewable energies that don’t cause planetary degradation or destruction of ecosystems. Sure the scientists could have it wrong, but I think the real propaganda is thinking that the status quo is okay and nothing needs to change.

The topic as I understand it is "Greta-Thunbergs Speech".  Does anyone think it is good for our children to think our world is doomed?  As a child, I thought we were doomed as well, and found out many decades later that this was a trauma in which was very harmful to me.  How is this (Propaganda) helpful to the collective, let alone, our children?

I'm really stoked she and her campaign is getting so much attention right now. It's vitally important for the health of our planet that this message gets driven home at all levels of society, especially at the level of the key decision makers on top in government and corporations.

To you nay-sayers on here, yeah of course life will go on if we sit here and do sweet fuck all about global warming. But it's going to be a shit hole planet if we continue to treat it like one. We need to start taking care of our home, and if it takes this courageous woman to stand on the world stage and make some noise about it, before the gears start turning, then all the power to her!

Go Greta!! She's a little powerhouse. Greta 4 prez.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

22 hours ago, Keyhole said:

Her future isn't stolen.
I would love for them to have chosen a puppet that has actually experienced and personally dealt with the issues of climate change.  Why aren't they using a youth from one of those far off islands that are quickly being swept away by the ocean?
This girl thinks her future has been stolen from her?  Get real.

She's speaking for ALL young people. Someone has to speak up and be the face of the youth, and it just so happens to be her. 

Rising sea levels are not going to be the biggest problem from climate change. Drought, massive migration, food shortages etc are all things that will impact everyone around the world.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

well she makes a lot of children and teens move into green in a very early age. of course our orange generation doesn`t like it. when i was her age green was meeting in the smokers corner because we where too depressed. there are probably still a lot of children that are too resilient in orange. i prefer youth getting active over youth addiction and youth striking together than skipping school, they learn early to organize themselfs what will give them skills they wouldn`t learn in school. and if we get motivated by it and wake up to our lost dreams and lost childhood we maybe have a chance to help them from above even though it`s more a pushing us from a stong child to transform society from below.

Edited by remember

I see much fear and anger in this individual.  How is that moving toward green?  This episode isn't much different than the stuff I saw as a child.  It's NOT healthy to scare our children all the way to the psychologist.  In fact, it's already started with many children. 

33 minutes ago, Bodigger said:

I see much fear and anger in this individual.  How is that moving toward green?  This episode isn't much different than the stuff I saw as a child.  It's NOT healthy to scare our children all the way to the psychologist.  In fact, it's already started with many children. 

I see the face of someone who understands the gravity of the situation.

Anyone who truly grasps the gravity of the situation will be angry, afraid, sad, disappointed, and the list goes on.

Honestly, with the trajectory going the way it is, I'm having to imagine my children as young adults potentially starving to death due to food shortage and dealing with the instability that comes from climate change. 

If that doesn't make you mad/sad/afraid, I don't know what will.

Sometimes the presence of fear and anger simply means that you're more aware and not less.

Here's an example...

There was an older couple leaving their home to go out. And they had a security camera recording their front porch, likely to watch for burglars and the like. So, on the security camera footage, you see them leaving their home as calm as can be as they lock up the door.

But in the video, you also see that there's a bear on the porch, like 6 feet away from them just watching them leave.

They don't see the bear. They are not aware of the bear despite the fact that they are just feet away from potential mortal danger.

So, of course, they weren't scared or freaking out. They weren't aware of the danger. But this lack of fear and emotional response isn't a sign of emotional maturity. Rather, it's a sign that they didn't know the gravity of the situation they've found themselves in.

The fact of the matter is that they were in danger. And if they saw the bear, they'd be terrified and would have taken steps to avoid the potentially dangerous situation.

This is how climate change is for most people. It doesn't feel real yet. Most of us don't see the bear... bet Greta Thunberg does. So, of course she's sad and scared and angry. That's the more conscious response. 

Edited by Emerald

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

1 hour ago, Bodigger said:

I see much fear and anger in this individual. 

Of course. You speak of the destruction of climate change as if it is some potential danger that may or may not happen. Climate change destruction has already begun. Irreversible destruction has already occurred. This is it, it's happening now. Its appropriate that some fear and anger may be experienced based on what is occurring. . . 

Greta also has an immense amount of courage to talk truth to power. She is an incredibly courageous and inspiring person. The responsibility for a sustanianable planet should not be thrown onto a16 year old teenager. She should not have to shoulder this burden. This is the responsibility of grown adults. Yet they are irresponsible and are placing personal greed for corporate profits and power over the welfare of younger generations and the planet. For a 16 year old girl to step up and confront irresponsible adults causing harm is amazingly courageous. Most adults don't have the courage to take responsibility. Imo, adults expecting a 16 year old girl to shoulder this immense burden without any fear or anger is way out of line. 

Greta is approaching the level of Malala in this regard. . . 

How is that moving toward green?  

Green is one level higher than Orange. Greta is Green shaming toxic Orange. Orange is self-centered on their personal welfare - in particular with personal power and wealth. An example in this area would be people within the oil and gas industry. Green is a conscious level higher. Green is not primarily self-centered. Green places higher value on inclusion, diversity and community - the environment is included within community. 

A couple green features of Greta. Notice how she is self-sacrificing. She is not doing this to gain personal wealth and power. She is doing this for a larger community. This will be difficult for Orange to comprehend - since Orange is so self-centered - Orange has a difficult time understanding how someone could authentically be sacrificing their own personal welfare for a greater welfare. Furthermore, empathy is a key feature of Green. Notice how empathetic Greta is. She says she is one of the lucky ones and she goes on to describe the the pain and suffering of climate change victims. Again, she is not using victims as pawns for her personal gain as Orange would. She is empathizing with others. This will be difficult for Orange to see because Orange has much less empathy. Therefore, they will be skeptical of Greta. 

It's NOT healthy to scare our children all the way to the psychologist.  

It's also not healthy to destroy the planet. I would agree at times it is better to withhold the truth from young children to protect them from the trauma of learning the truth. Yet Greta is old and mature enough to handle the truth. 

2 hours ago, Bodigger said:

As a child, I thought we were doomed as well, and found out many decades later that this was a trauma in which was very harmful to me.  How is this (Propaganda) helpful to the collective, let alone, our children?

What time frame do you speak of? Climate science didn't emerge until the 1980s. Nearly all the predictive models of climate change from the 1980s-90s have been spot on. 

45 minutes ago, Emerald said:

This is how climate change is for most people. It doesn't feel real yet. Most of us don't see the bear... bet Greta Thunberg does. So, of course she's sad and scared and angry. That's the more conscious response. 

@Emerald Yep. Greta refers to her autism as a "superpower". I think it helps her see the situation clearly - while most neurotypical people cannot see the situation clearly. 

6 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Yep. Greta refers to her autism as a "superpower". I think it helps her see the situation clearly - while most neurotypical people cannot see the situation clearly. 

I agree with that assessment. It's likely what's given her the hyper-focused awareness on this issue and the motivation to understand it top to bottom. And then the motivation to fight against it without worrying of the social consequences or scorn that the average neuro-typical 16 year old may be fixated upon. 

I've had students that had varying forms of autism. And usually those who are high functioning autistic are surprisingly dedicated and immersed in one particular thing that's like their thing. And climate activism is probably her thing, and it's really making a difference.

Emotionalmastery.org

The topic as I understand it is "Greta-Thunbergs Speech".  Does anyone think it is good for our children to think our world is doomed?  As a child, I thought we were doomed as well, and found out many decades later that this was a trauma in which was very harmful to me.  How is this (Propaganda) helpful to the collective, let alone, our children?

If people are "harmed" by Greta talking then so be it. People standing up for the environment are not going to stop just because someone's feelings will be hurt. Tough. She's doing the world a favour. 

3 minutes ago, Bill W said:

If people are "harmed" by Greta talking then so be it. People standing up for the environment are not going to stop just because someone's feelings will be hurt. Tough. She's doing the world a favour. 

Exactly. There are too many snowflakes now-a-days wanting to maintain the status quo because it's uncomfortable for them to change. Let them melt is what I say.

Emotionalmastery.org

29 minutes ago, Emerald said:

There are too many snowflakes now-a-days wanting to maintain the status quo because it's uncomfortable for them to change. Let them melt is what I say.

I love how she is shaming climate change deniers. No one has been able to do it as effectively as Greta imo. It's interesting how they try to dismiss her as an irrational child. Orange can be so dastardly. . .  

1 hour ago, Serotoninluv said:

I love how she is shaming climate change deniers. No one has been able to do it as effectively as Greta imo. It's interesting how they try to dismiss her as an irrational child. Orange can be so dastardly. . .  

Absolutely. It's funny how Orange is more civilized than Red, but is even more dangerous than Red at the same time. The technologies of the time amplify the danger despite the major progression in worldview between Red and Orange.

Emotionalmastery.org

What she says is rhetorically skilled, but philosophically boring. She doesn't add anything to the climate debate. I mean she literally repeats the same stuff the green left has been saying for as long as I can be remember; a bit of anti-capitalism here, a bit of feeling entitled to tell other people what to do there and the overly dystopic predictions that in the end always turned out to be wrong... I'm a bit worried about her too as her worldview is way too fatalistic. Stop feeding her all these apocalyptic images and let her live her life. It's one thing to fight for a movement you believe in, but don't lose yourself doing it. 
just my two cents