tatsumaru

I want to change my name

17 posts in this topic

For the last couple of years I have been feeling a disconnect with my heritage and last name. I no longer identify with this particular part of my history. I don't hate my family or anything of the sort I just don't relate to this circle of people anymore. Also I feel I've been feeling the desire to found a new clan. Maybe this gives off a "what a douche" vibe, but honestly this is not rooted in being pretentious etc. After all even my current last name was created by some grandfather who was forced to come up with something when he was filling some documents somewhere. I feel that a lot of those names they came up during that time are very boring and generic. The syntax for most last names in my country is [firstname]'sson e.g. johnson etc. To me this is very boring, bland and unimaginative and I just want to create something more creative that reflects my deep passion for art, chaos, freedom, truth and free thought. I want this name to inspire my future offspring to be different rather than have such stupid labels as "leatherworker" or "john'sson" etc. I want this name to be slightly rebellious and non-conformist to current syntax, but also would like to avoid sounding like a low-level cartoon villain e.g. Dr. Doom. I resonate with how Thomas Anderson became Neo and I resonate with fantasy and game names where just saying it makes you think of adventure and legends etc. I want this name to be incredibly meaningful for me and once I change it I don't want to ever change it again. I would appreciate some advice on how to come up with something true and meaningful for me? For me this is almost like discovering my spirit animal - I don't want something random that just sounds cool I want something that when I hear it I just know that this is me. I've had these moments in my life before - for example when I started playing music - I knew this was me. When I watched the Matrix - I knew this was me, when I saw the Far East I knew this was me, when I heard 80s synthpop, synthwave and dreampop music I knew this was me etc.

Thanks.

Edited by tatsumaru

I think part of spirituality is to strip your ego as much as possible, and this might be doing the exact opposite.  

Rambo Ermano !

And then you start selling tacos with your name as a brand

2 hours ago, SerpaeTetra said:

I think part of spirituality is to strip your ego as much as possible, and this might be doing the exact opposite.  

Well, if you already create a special nickname for the forum, for me that's the same. It doesn't have to be any more special than that. Its just a pointer, like a T-shirt that says Truth on it or The Matrix.

26 minutes ago, tatsumaru said:

Well, if you already create a special nickname for the forum, for me that's the same. It doesn't have to be any more special than that. Its just a pointer, like a T-shirt that says Truth on it or The Matrix.

You seem to assign much more meaning to it than a pointer. 

Changing a name out of resistance to the existing name doesn't seem very functional.

5 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

I want this name to be incredibly meaningful for me and once I change it I don't want to ever change it again. I would appreciate some advice on how to come up with something true and meaningful for me? For me this is almost like discovering my spirit animal.

Have you considered that your spirit animal might be the chameleon?

9 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

The difference is how much energy and importance you put into this. Does the name really matter? Is it worth putting all this mental energy into it? 

33 minutes ago, Fishy said:

The difference is how much energy and importance you put into this. Does the name really matter? Is it worth putting all this mental energy into it? 

My goal is not to put mental energy in it as in creating a brand name for a company. Rather I am looking to uncover my inherent name. The same way you don't think about your spirit animal but uncover it.

2 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

My goal is not to put mental energy in it as in creating a brand name for a company. Rather I am looking to uncover my inherent name. The same way you don't think about your spirit animal but uncover it.

You don't have an inherent name. 

If it make you feel better, just change it, don't listen to anyone who judge you doing this

22 hours ago, Fishy said:

You don't have an inherent name. 

Remember that when the Buddha uncovered his final level of evolution he started referring to himself as the Tathagatha. I am not implying that I am enlightened or anything of the sort but rather that as you progress on the path different words will be uncovered. And Tathagatha while not a name was definitely something inherent. Not sure if the Buddha came up with this word though, however the meaning of it is so profound that it's unlikely that anyone else would have any use for it before the Buddha. Gautama => The Buddha => Tathagatha. Thomas Anderson => Neo => The One.

Your name is powerful. It is your NAME . What you call yourself . It is VERY important. Words have power. If you don't resonate with it anymore CHANGE it. 

My aunts name means money when translated. This is what she has been called since birth. People treated her like "money" growing up, she carried herself like she had it too. Sure enough now she has it....loads of it.  

@tatsumaru I had this idea a while back as well, and then it passed, and now I still have the same last name. The desire to change it passed now. Actually I know for a fact that my ancestors changed their last name about 150 years ago. I believe because they became Christians instead of Jews and they also wanted to assimilate in the new country they moved to. So they picked some local name that reflected their trade. 

I had these same ideas as you though. I get your train of thought. You are having the strong realization how ridiculous, and maybe outdated, this last name thing is that they came up with for tax and militairy draft purposes.

Honestly in the far future I think a lot of people may change their names at some point. 

So if you feel like doing it, just do it. 

Edited by SFRL

On 8/30/2019 at 2:40 PM, tatsumaru said:

@tatsumaru This is exactly why my picture is just black. The closer one gets to enlightenment, the less identification there is with anything.

Truthfully, you have no identity other than what you are in this exact present moment, which is just awareness with directable intention.

You are going the opposite direction of ego death, which just leads to more suffering.

44 minutes ago, Cocolove said:

I bet JP sears has a video on this

Haha yes.