Beeman

Can direct experience be trusted?

83 posts in this topic

How your direct experience be trusted? 

@Beeman By removing all the concepts and ideas that you project upon that experience, or at least be careful when trying to conceptualize it. Your direct experience is all you have.

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

In practice:

Put hand into fire- direct experience

You just added new belief that hand burns when touch fire. Can you trust it?

No, no, no. It's not that direct experience can be trusted. It is that trust is a direct experience.

Glory to Israel

What else can you trust more ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Define it & I'll tell you if abstract is physical

@Beeman Your very question it itself a direct experience. So you're begging the question. You're using direct experience to ask whether you can trust direct experience.

Name one thing which is not a direct experience. You can't.

Direct experience is actually prior to trust.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

In other words its Actual.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Beeman See if you can stop directly experiencing Now.

That’s it. ISness right Here and Now. 

If you get money from a legitimate gangster profession, it's also a direct experience.
Or is that another issue?

Direct experience can't be trusted completely it can be altered or misunderstood by one's own perception, consciousness, memory etc. 

Direct experience can't be trusted. Direct experience is just experience. It is not a truth it is a small aspect of truth. 

1 minute ago, Beeman said:

Direct experience can't be trusted completely it can be altered or misunderstood by one's own perception, consciousness, memory etc. 

Direct experience can't be trusted. Direct experience is just experience. It is not a truth it is a small aspect of truth. 

All of that is happening in your direct experience ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

There's a kind of positive mistrust of direct experience that is Nirvana I think. It's neither trust nor mistrust. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 hour ago, Beeman said:

With that logic, you can't trust anything then.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

7 minutes ago, Shin said:

With that logic, you can't trust anything then.

Innit ?

The direct experience of another person can be completely superior. This person is one with us. But we do not recognize their superiority one with us. That is why we need government. No. It was a joke.

32 minutes ago, Shiva said:

My experience is always filtered through my senses, my thoughts, my emotions, meanings I attach to things etc.

Leo said that your five senses are actually direct experiences. Your perception is direct experience.

He also said you are your perception, your thoughts, your emotions, and everything in your consciousness.

I think you confuse objective physical reality with direct experience. Even if you are actually in an objective physical reality, all you have is a virtual reality created in your brain. A virtual reality is but a dream. That virtual reality is you and also direct experience.

Edited by CreamCat

Just now, Shiva said:

I agree. But proper perception is not as trivial as one might think.

How many times have we thought we had seen, felt or heart something when we actually didn't?

Proper perception requires training because it's very easy to fool our senses and perception.

Improper perception is also direct experience. Keen perception is another matter.

1 minute ago, Shiva said:

I would say, improper perception is direct experience only if you are conscious of your improper perception.

I think awareness of direct experience is a different matter. Everyone has direct experience at every moment.