Space

How to survive whilst working towards life purpose?

15 posts in this topic

I know what my purpose is (being an illustrator) and i’m actively working on it every day. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to achieve, and what skills I need to develop in order to make it a reality. It’s something i’ve always known and wanted, but it was only around 8 months ago that I actually realised how it could be done and that I can personally do it. So i’m on track with that.

However, whilst working on my purpose I’ve got to survive and pay rent when i move out from my dads place. But I don’t have a job, and i’ve been trying to get a job for a good 9-10 months with little to no progress. I’ve had a few interviews, but no offers - obviously. Most applications are sent off into oblivion to never be seen or heard from again.

What the fuck do I do? I gotta move out of my parents place (at my age this should not be the case) but I need a job. But I can’t get a job. I’ve got a 1st class degree, but we all know that barely means anything at all. Right now i’m just applying for jobs that I find on job boards online. But it seems hopeless. I’m reluctant to apply for a low skilled job, because this could be a long term thing depending on how long it will take for me to actualise my LP, and I want to do something that is atleast vaguely enjoyable. 

Does anyone have any alternatives to simply just applying for jobs online and hoping to get something? Anyone else going through similar situation?Any advice would be much appreciated.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Space

• Talk to someone who knows how the job-search is done in your area and in your field. Like a headhunter, or someone from the HR department of a company, or even a professional who has found the kind of job you're looking for. Tell them who you are and what you want and how you haven't been lucky so far and ask for feedback and tips.
  • Network
  • Take a course with someone who teaches how to prepare for a job interview. 
  • Think about your strengths and weaknesses, consider what you can offer to a potential employer
  • Etc.

Don't despair, many people face rejection on the job search.

Also, are there any jobs available related to your life purpose? Or, could you find a quiet job where you could practice your drawing skills?

@Elisabeth Thanks for the response :) In fact i'm actually doing what you suggest in the first bullet point. I'm talking to a career coach who has a lot of experience in HR. 

@Space That is the million dollar question.

There is no easy answer. Becoming financially comfortable whilst starting from scratch is very challenging, requiring creative thinking, strategy, focus, discipline, hard work, vision, and a bit of luck.

In practice you will have to claw your way to the top using whatever means available.

One very helpful piece of advice is to keep your living expenses as low as humanly possible. At least for the first 5 years of your LP, until you get established.

Another possibility is to move to a very cheap part of the country, or even a 3rd world country as you develop your skills. Again, this is to keep your expenses as low as possible and buy yourself time to build skills.

Another possibility is first build some more marketable skills which can help you pay the rent. For example it's possible to learn some programming skills, which tend to be well-paid.

Another possibility is to work a relatively high-wage job for a year or two in order to save up a nest egg. There are some jobs which require zero experience and zero education but still pay well.

Another possibility is to get a lower job but within your chosen field/industry. For example if you want to direct movies, rather than trying to get hired as a director (which is virtually impossible), try to get hired as an assistant to the director. Then you can prove yourself to the director and he might be willing to hire you in the future as a producer. Etc. Finally then you will become a director.

Another possibility is to get a part-time job which allows you time to work on building your skills at home.

Etc.

You have to be very creative, opportunistic, and flexible when starting out.

I spent 4 years building an entirely unrelated business to earn enough money to finally follow my LP. It was a huge detour and not at all easy or pleasant. But it was worth it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You can learn some graphic design\web design skills and find the work here, it should be easier. It is a very relatable solution as you'll be able to practice your illustrations here. What you'll actually be doing is just packaging your illustration work into UI and polygraphy grids . You'll actually have an edge over other people in that industry with your skills\desires, as illustrations are very trendy in graphic\web design right now. Later as your skills grow, you can transition into full illustrator job\freelance, doing comics\cartoons\storyboards\paintings\artwork or whatever you want to do with your skills

Edited by Hello from Russia

@Leo Gura Thanks so much for the advice, really appreciate it.

Since writing this post i've actually started working with a career coach. Turns out the strategy i've been using for the past 9 months (not to mention the mistakes on my CV) has been completely wrong and basically a total waste of time and effort. Frustrating to say the least.

Building some more marketable skills is definitely an option I am looking into. Considering taking some short online courses.

And looking for employment outside of London (to reduce expenses) is definitely the ideal situation. Whether I can get a decent job doing what i'm interested in outside of London is questionable, but still worth the effort of course. 

I think the most likely strategy will be to get a lower job within the art industry. That way I can potentially have the opportunity to further build my skills within the job, as well as network with people in the industry and get to understand the industry from the inside. My coach gave me some new and much more effective strategies for doing that. So i'm feeling optimistic!

@Hello from Russia Very interesting! Thanks. I haven't considered web design stuff. Definitely something i'll keep in mind and look into.

I just wonder when you guys talking about becoming financially independent whilst starting from scratch, what country are you guys talking about?

@Space If your more useful strategies are not too field-specific, would you mind sharing, so that we can avoid the same mistakes?

Edited by Elisabeth

@Peo Well i'm from the UK, but you can become financially independent in basically any country. The only thing stopping you is your own mind.

@Elisabeth Indeed I can, although I am only just starting to implement them. So it may be worth asking me in 3-6 months time to see if they are actually effective and/or get me a job. Essentially it involves 2 approaches which I wasn't doing before.

1) Networking through LinkedIn. Connecting with people who are doing the jobs I want, and/or in the same industry. And connecting with people who may then be able to introduce me to other people. I'm still have various questions regarding this, which i'll be clearing up in the coming week or two.

2) Get as specific as possible about what job you want, tailoring your CV to exactly those positions, and then contact recruitment companies which are specifically aimed at those particular jobs, or your particular industry.

Apparently, applying for jobs through job boards, which has been my main strategy up until now, is near pointless, particularly if you're CV is shit, which it was in my case. It's like throwing a snowball into a fiery hell. You might get a hit, but very unlikely. So many hours wasted.

Thats not to say that job boards don't work. They can. Someone is gonna get the job of course. 

@see_on_see Awesome, I did not know about those sites. Thanks a bunch :D 

I work part-time as a cocktail bartender two days per week, the rest of the days I follow my LP. I am not saving any money at all at the moment, but I am fully satisfied with my life. My side hustle is starting to bring in passive income, it takes time, but is definitely possible. Ken Wilber worked as a dishwasher for ten years, while writing books, before being able to make a living off of is LP.

This is a great topic we need to give more attention to!

On 24/4/2019 at 0:13 PM, Leo Gura said:

There are some jobs which require zero experience and zero education but still pay well.

Any examples?

On 26. 4. 2019 at 4:37 AM, Socrates said:

@Leo Gura There are some jobs which require zero experience and zero education but still pay well.

@Socrates Any examples?

exactly what I was thinking....any more examples  ...apart from truck driver? ( I can't drive) 

five examples would be great.

without a +5 degree you cannot work at something lower than the equivalent of a lower tier wallmart in France. You need +7 and having the talent to know people where to suck a job link from.

welfare = 500€ a month + help on house ( like 150 )

working at stupid job = 35-40 hours / ~1100€ a month. ( and that's if you have been accepted after 60 CV / letter for a job ) I m absolutely not kidding. ( I got a friends who had an answer after 50 CV, she is working a washing dishes and is wasted everyday )

driving licence = 2500€,  very hard to get here, a real scam.

what is the good choice ?

Edited by Aeris