Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
How to be wise

Is Leo’s claim too good to be true?

23 posts in this topic

In the ‘How to shop for healthy food’ episode, Leo said: “When you stop eating wheat, it will be very very difficult for you to put on weight, no matter how much of it you eat, as long as you also avoid lots of sugar.” 29:53 

So, as long as I avoid wheat and sugar, it will be difficult for me to gain weight. Does this mean that, if I stay within the recommended daily calorie level of 2000 kcal, that I can have chicken wings with French fries, every single day and not become fat? I’m dying to try this out. As far as I know, neither contain significant amounts of wheat or sugar (if at all). 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

if I tell you that jumping from the edge of the cliff will kill you it doesn't mean that jumping under a rushing train is safe. 

- slap across the face - stop thinking in absolutes and read between the lines :D 

Health Blog - Educational deep-dives each month 

Instagram - Easily digestible info on men's health, chronic disease, longevity and nutrition. 

Feel free to reach out for a confidential discussion about a health issue you are currently struggling with  

@How to be wise Just to point out the obvious: Leo said "very very difficult", not "impossible".
You sound like you're trying to prove him wrong. You can prove anybody wrong if you want to.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

This term: "too good to be true". Never use it again.

You will understand one day :)

B R E A T H E

24 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

if I tell you that jumping from the edge of the cliff will kill you it doesn't mean that jumping under a rushing train is safe. 

- slap across the face - stop thinking in absolutes and read between the lines :D 

@tsuki  But if I say to you, “as long as you don’t eat x, it will be very very difficult to gain weight,” I took the precaution of staying within the recommended calorie level, is that still not enough? Clearly the phrase ‘very very difficult’ was not appropriate, (assuming that you think Leo is telling the truth, which I am).

Edited by How to be wise

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise yes, if you stop eating processed grains and sugar and replace them with wholegrains fruits and vegetables it will indeed be more difficult to gain weight. But even good diet can make you fatter if you go overboard with your calories. Although some foods make it more difficult to gain weight from then others, it all comes down to health of your microbiota, fibre content, absorbtion ability and other...

Calories are not everything. You can eat 2000 dirty calories such as big macs and french fries and you can eat clean calories. Diet is not only about macros as some dumb bodubuilding.com posts would have you believe. You can get diabetes even on 2000 calorie diet if they come from burgers and chips. 

Instagram - Easily digestible info on men's health, chronic disease, longevity and nutrition. 

Feel free to reach out for a confidential discussion about a health issue you are currently struggling with  

9 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@tsuki  But if I say to you, “as long as you don’t eat x, it will be very very difficult to gain weight,” I took the precaution of staying within the recommended calorie level, is that still not enough? Clearly the phrase ‘very very difficult’ was not appropriate, (assuming that you think Leo is telling the truth, which I am).

@How to be wise He was telling the truth in the context he was currently referring to. I haven't watched that video in a long time, so I can't answer directly, but calorie intake is a very crude model that does not deal with the composition of the food you're eating.

My guess is that even if you wouldn't gain weight on KFC,  it would decline your overall health due to undernourishment and chemicals. 

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@How to be wise

The sauce for the wings is made of sugar and fat, then they are fried in more fat. The French fries are processed in fat (literally deep fried and soaked in fat). That puts the body and brain on a high energy low energy rollover coaster, mood typically follows, and perspective usually follows. When you get off the processed foods altogether, you get off that rollercoaster.  Nothing tastes as good as clarity.

Eat a seasoned chicken breast and a baked potato (without sugar or fat on it) instead.

Then try cutting the potato. Experiment and see if you are better off without whole carbs (potatoes) too. Try sweet potatoes or other vegetables.

Or skip all that nonsense altogether and try the Loophole Shake. It’s so much easier and tastes so much better. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

@How to be wise

The sauce for the wings is made of sugar and fat, then they are fried in more fat. The French fries are processed in fat (literally deep fried and soaked in fat). That puts the body and brain on a high energy low energy rollover coaster, mood typically follows, and perspective usually follows. When you get off the processed foods altogether, you get off that rollercoaster.  Nothing tastes as good as clarity.

Eat a seasoned chicken breast and a baked potato (without sugar or fat on it) instead.

Then try cutting the potato. Experiment and see if you are better off without whole carbs (potatoes) too. Try sweet potatoes or other vegetables.

Or skip all that nonsense altogether and try the Loophole Shake. It’s so much easier and tastes so much better. 

Leo Gura: “People think that fat makes them fat, it doesn’t.”

@How to be wise Good, healthy fat doesn't make you fat. But anything that's heavily processed (like KFC and chips) will make you put on weight.

Also, I'd recommend not planning your diet around calories and how much weight it will make you gain. Eat to FEEL good instead, not to taste good. If you only eat foods that give you solid energy and make you feel good, you will lose weight naturally. Because only healthy foods make our bodies feel good when digested. 

When deciding diet and what is good for you, the 1. thing you should consider is 'Is this natural or processed'? The more organic, fresh and natural a food is, the better it will make you feel and the healthier it will be. The more processed, GMO, factory farmed etc, the less healthy it is, and thus the worse it will make you feel.

Eating to feel good will change your life, hope this helped

yes he is right.

French fries = Potato = Carbs = sugar. 

if you go low-carb or Keto, you will see body fat drop fast pretty fast especially if you eat like 1600-2100 calories. 

Edited by SgtPepper

20 hours ago, SgtPepper said:

yes he is right.

French fries = Potato = Carbs = sugar. 

if you go low-carb or Keto, you will see body fat drop fast pretty fast especially if you eat like 1600-2100 calories. 

Carbs ≠ Sugar. Carbs come in different types, some of them sugar. But the carbs from potato are not sugar. They are just carbs. 

A more proper way: carbs ⊃ sugar. Carbs include sugar, but also other things.

In the same video he says "avoid starchy vegetables" (potatoes)

Fries are out of the question, really. As far as chicken goes, no, you won't get fat off of it if you also eat your veggies and exercise a little.

Obviously if you only eat 1 thing (of anything) it's going to be unhealthy.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:36 AM, pluto said:

This term: "too good to be true". Never use it again.

You will understand one day :)

?

On 3/26/2019 at 7:16 AM, How to be wise said:

In the ‘How to shop for healthy food’ episode, Leo said: “When you stop eating wheat, it will be very very difficult for you to put on weight, no matter how much of it you eat, as long as you also avoid lots of sugar.” 29:53 

So, as long as I avoid wheat and sugar, it will be difficult for me to gain weight. Does this mean that, if I stay within the recommended daily calorie level of 2000 kcal, that I can have chicken wings with French fries, every single day and not become fat? I’m dying to try this out. As far as I know, neither contain significant amounts of wheat or sugar (if at all). 

Lol, unfortunately, no. 

25 minutes ago, RendHeaven said:

In the same video he says "avoid starchy vegetables" (potatoes)

Fries are out of the question, really. As far as chicken goes, no, you won't get fat off of it if you also eat your veggies and exercise a little.

Obviously if you only eat 1 thing (of anything) it's going to be unhealthy.

I haven’t done any exercise in many years. I can’t even run for the bus. But I’m not ‘overweight’. If you ask people, they’ll say I’m normal but bordering ‘fat’. The one thing I do do right, is that I set a daily calorie limit for myself. Around 1600kcal per day. 

56 minutes ago, wavydude said:

@How to be wise If you do 1600kcal don't eat sugar and wheat then no way you'll get fat.

Of course I eat some sugar. Can’t imagine life without it. But I don’t overdo it with the sugar. I eat it in moderate levels.

@Shiva What sort of carbs are healthy I just heard that there are simple and complex carbs, yet I do not know which are healthy or which ones to avoid. 

3 hours ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

What sort of carbs are healthy I just heard that there are simple and complex carbs, yet I do not know which are healthy or which ones to avoid. 

Most carbohydrates are not bad. Your cells run on glucose (sugar) which they use to produce core units of energy called ATP, this keep you alive, keeps your heart beating, your nervous system running, muscle working, keeps brain from dying ...this can also be done from fatty acids (fats) but most of us don't follow that pathway very often unless starving or fasting or doing keto. 

Sugar/glucose (the same thing)  is getting incredibly bad rep because people just throw all carbs into the same bucket as sucrose (white processed sugar). Eating a lot of sucrose from junk and fizzy drinks is terrible, nobody can dispute that...it contributes to rapid weight gain, increases risk of diabetes and metabolic syndrome, scratches your arteries and causes a lot of oxidative damage.

On the other hand, eating complex carbohydrates such as starches and fibre are beneficial. They feed the microbiota, the billions of bacteria in your gut that impact majority of processes in the body. Disbalance in microbiata is linked to anything from authism, asthma, obesity, cancer, diabetes, mental disease (read "10% human" if that seems interesting). These would be your wholegrains, sweet potatoes as well as regular potatoes, beans, lentils, chickpeas and such. Most of them also contain essential minerals and vitamins. 

And finally I feel like fruit needs to be mentioned. Although it contains fructose a simple monosacharide that spikes insulin rapidly when eaten in isolation, fruit also contains fibre that slows down fructose absorbtion as well as complex carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and various phytochemicals, antioxidants, ensymes etc that are all beneficial for health and microbiota. Berries are probably ruling the fruit kingdom as being the healthies with the lowest insulin spike. 

So if you want to help your body, stay away from rapidly absorbing carbiohydrate such as sucrose in fizzy drinks and sweets as well as sources of processed starches such as breads, croissants etc..the flour has been stripped of all the good stuff. Instead get as close as possible to natural sources and you'll be fine ;)

Edited by Michael569