PetarKa

Is Meditation Still The No.1 Habit?

14 posts in this topic

I have meditated in the past for almost 2 years. Then I felt that it was not right for me at that phase. Now I consider it appropriate and have hence started the practice again: 30 min a day, simple observation practice. I am curious as to whether @Leo Gura still holds that this is the most important self-actualization habit (as his views on some topics have changed over the years) but I would also like to hear what everyone thinks. (Question is in the title)

Along these lines, I'd also ask:

• What is meditation effective for? (Enlightenment only? Emotional mastery? Psychological development? What?)
  • What style of meditation do you practice?

@PetarKa Leo touts Kriya yoga as being most beneficial in his practice.

And sure observation, self inquiry and contemplation can also play important parts along with just sitting in silence. Silence is the language of God.

For me meditation is choiceless awareness of the arising and passing sensations, perceptions & habitual thought/emotion (subject-object phenomenon).

But it doesn’t end there...Meditation also includes to be aware as the totality of ‘experiencing’ (consciousness). 

Awareness doesn’t exclude, but includes the totality of itself. 

Edited by Jack River

I think so yes. Exercise, nuttition and sleep are all very important as well. Moreover, I find a lot of these are interrelated as well, affecting each other.

For example, if I dont sleep enough, meditation is pretty horrible. The more I meditate, the easier exercise has become because of pain tolerance and body awareness. Nutrition affects energy levels which affects exercise and meditation quality. Exercises helps keep my body feeling healthy which affects mood, sleep, strength.... etc etc. 

If I had to pick 1 though, I guess id say meditation just because it has had the most direct and fundamental shift to my life and resting level of consciousness. And I value consciousness and self knowledge more than I value health so yeah. 

Meditation is not just one practice, it can be many many different techniques etc. Not just sitting still doing nothing

Meditation includes yoga as well as observing as well as realising your Self. Therefore in its entirety it is still the #1 habit

- Enter your fear and you are free -

@PetarKa for me more active practices , such as reading, watching videos, theorizing seem to help more. In the sense that It makes me “feel” I’ve grown intellectually. Meditation is the most helpful habit to keep me grounded. When I’m making time consistently for meditating, my life falls in better order even though I might not gain as much intellectual advancement during the actual meditation session.

sooverall, yes I think it’s crucial to meditate or have some sort of way to get away from the theory and just allow yourself to BE. To FEEL. Although it might seem unproductive at times and we will have the tendency to actively “search” and “grow” via reading and watching videos..

You meditate to become more cousnious. The level of consciousness is the only thing that seperates a devil from devine. All your problems, all your suffering, everything boils down to your level of consciousness. But you don't realise that yet. 

Meditation is not the only good habit. Leo gives you 65good habits :D I would summerize into three: self-honesty, selfless activity and self-reflection which is meditation.

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

@PetarKa No. Meditation is being aware, that is it

You can meditate doing whatever. Don't confuse the surface with the inner happening

- Enter your fear and you are free -

Meditation can also be seen as the UNDERSTANDING/awareness of ‘becoming’ & habits. 

Becoming will manifest itself in adopting habits in order to end the habitual nature of mind. 

Edited by Jack River

For me too - Pure simple as log meditation.

Dogen, a famous zen master had the same opinion.

Second to that might be emotional mastery.

And the rest:

• Self inquiry
  • Gratitude and compassion
  • Contemplation/Epistemology
  • Spiritual purification
  • Shadow work
  • Working on destructive patterns of behavior
  • Understanding relationships
  • Life purpose
  • Health and clean life-style
  • Friendship and humour
  • Some fun and art, to heal the soul

It's more about consistent daily spiritual practice than any particular technique.

It can be self-inquiry, labeling, do-nothing or Kriya Yoga. Choose whatever you like and stick to it.