torgeir

Struggling with Tinnitus and anxiety. Desperate!

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm 20 years old from Norway and recently started experiencing loud, constant tinnitus (ringing in my ear). I developed heavy anxiety fearing I'll have to live with this for the rest of my life. As it led to increased suffering for me it also made me very aware of the suffering nature of life and almost fixated on this and struggling to focus on the beauty. I've never experienced any kind of depression before and this is really scaring me. Anyone have any tips on what to do whatsoever? Would be forever grateful. 

Thanks. 

@torgeir “The ringing should stop.” Is that true? Go in, and ask yourself that.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I'm really sorry to hear about this.  have you gone to a medical profession for some insight or help?  I'd start there.  In terms of your fears, well its just fear for now, find out more before you concern yourself with something that may be able to be helped.  But let this lesson in on the nature of suffering that can happen and does all the time to human beings.  Let that sink in and hopefully you start to embrace and understand people and struggle better.

Have you been checked by a cardiologist? Sometimes tinnitus can be caused by atrial fibrilation or irregular conducting pattern of the myocardium. Also see a neurologist, they should be able to test for any neuron excessive neuron firing. 

From the natural perspective, Gingko and magnesium have been shown to have some limited evidence towards helping with tinnitus so perhaps check those out as well. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Had it since 2013. I use white-noise to mask the effects when I sleep. Took a few years to get over the anxiety about it -- now its just a part of life.

@torgeir   I have tinnitis in my right ear as well. I have learned to deal with it, over time my brain blocks it out most of the time, but sometimes it still gets to me. I have heard that there is a treatment in the UK using a device that goes in the ear like an earphone that will create certain sounds that overtime will alleviate the ringing sounds, which are actually originating from the brain. I'm sorry you have to go this, it can be very trying. I am happy to see that you have been able to use this trying experience to develop empathy to suffering.

Here is the site if you would like to check out the treatment in the UK. I don't know if it really works or not but you can check it out. Other suggestions are drugs that make you less anxious and herbs, which never did anything for me. I also, use a white noise machine to sleep as another member does.

https://www.thetinnitusclinic.co.uk/

Edited by pointessa

I have a friend with strong tinnitus. He just re-assigned another meaning to it. He uses it as a reminder to be present. He interprets it as a 'hum of reality'. When he meditates, he will often focus on it. 

On 14. 1. 2019 at 7:45 PM, torgeir said:

recently started experiencing loud, constant tinnitus (ringing in my ear). I developed heavy anxiety fearing I'll have to live with this for the rest of my life.

I hope you've seen a doctor by now, tinnitus has many causes, and with some of them, they can help better if it's fresh. 

The second thing I recommend is to get your neck spine in order. My tinitus started after I performed exercises such as headstand. Bad idea. 

It hasn't gone completely for me, but it's not very loud these days. You do get used to it. 

I used to have it too. After a while it no longer bothered me. That said, if you haven't seen a doctor you should do that. Take care of yourself man.

I had a resurgence of tinnitus this week, and am surprised at how it seems like not even a problem anymore. Even when it's quiet and very noticable, I just don't emotionally react to it anymore, like it doesn't even annoy me. While awake I don't obsess over it, stay relaxed enough to fall asleep, and while sleeping I don't notice it.

One thing that has helped me gradually heal tinnitus and acoustic sensitivity in the past is putting helicrysum essential oil inside and around the ear. This is supposed to repair nerve damage, and while it didn't cure it completely, helps a lot. So I ordered myself some more cause even though I have no problem living with louder tinnitus again, this can probably take it back down to baseline levels barely noticeable except it pitch quiet.

Hey man,

I used to have tinnitus for a few months after my panick attacks.

Since I'm taking high quality omega 3. The panick attacks have gone away and the tinnitus is gone. I take two supplements a day.

Just a personal experience. It can be of to much inflammation..

I also have it. Reason ? Propably Loud music from headphones, club etc ? Most people try to avoid this ,,sound'' they play some music, TV, fans etc, but its escape. It's not a problem itself, but how you see the problem. You have to change your attitude. I know it's easy to say, but its true. 

There is no cure for it if you demage your hearing (guns, concerts, loud music). Tinnitus is only symptom.

Surely,  It will be better in time. We call it HABITUATION.  After time your mind, brain will stop ,,notice'' this high pitch sound. Trust me. After year of having tinnitus and don't give a fuck about this anymore. Once I released acceptance is all I can really do. 

There are people who have much worses deaseses, remember. 

I hope it helps :)