How to be wise

Conflict between Enlightenment and Life Purpose

132 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Trying to develop your skills, interest and abilities is already moving away from integrity.

I'm not so sure what you mean here. Yes, all fields are equal, of course. We can't all be the same. Some of us have to be farmers, some doctors, etc. But, when we were growing up, we had to learn and develop those skills. Those who are interested in farming learned how to farm. Those interested in being a doctor went to med school. 

@How to be wise The answer was stated by Adyashanti in his book "The End of your World"

Once you become fully awakened, there is no where else to go from there except back into the dream.

From there you make it the best dream you can actually make it.

So yeah, you are right, but you are also wrong.   We cannot escape the ego until we escape this humanly flesh.

But notice, the ego is not all bad and we might as well make the best sand castle ever!

We can still approach the dream differently than those who do not yet know it is a dream.

We can approach it from the lens of pure consciousness and non-duality.  From a position of unconditional love.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

5 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

I'm not so sure what you mean here. Yes, all fields are equal, of course. We can't all be the same. Some of us have to be farmers, some doctors, etc. But, when we were growing up, we had to learn and develop those skills. Those who are interested in farming learned how to farm. Those interested in being a doctor went to med school. 

If you are an integrous person, you will of course work based on what you are best at doing. But you will not have any “special interests.” All fields are equal.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

6 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

If you are an integrous person, you will of course work based on what you are best at doing. But you will not have any “special interests.” All fields are equal.

Dude, stop talking about things you do not understand.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It can be seen that All actions born of ashes (the past) imply no awakening at all. To act in accordance to what is dead is to live as a dead being.

And to do so means there is never dynamic living. To awaken from death means to meet each moment without that dead content(conclusions/speculation)(me). 

To wake from the dream and then to go back to the dream is still born of ashes/reaction to the past. 

Can we meet each moment without the past? Do we see how much the past interferes with the now? 

It’s amazing to be aware of the continual ash cloud that is perpetually influencing our day to day living. 

Edited by Jack River

1 hour ago, How to be wise said:

I don't see anything wrong with having "special interests." That's how things progress and reduce suffering in the world. For example, the doctor and the farmer may decide to work together to breed and grow a special plant to cure brain cancer. In other words, the doctor can't do it alone in his lab. He needed the right degree of sun and environment to do that.

@Key Elements That’s not what I meant. If somebody says, I love science, and I don’t want to do history, you can know this person is not very integrous. Why don’t you like history just as much as science? The answer is the ego.

Of course, you have to choose one. But you wouldn’t mind doing either.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@Key Elements That’s not what I meant. If somebody says, I love science, and I don’t want to do history, you can know this person is not very integrous. Why don’t you like history just as much as science? The answer is the ego.

Yes, true. All fields have its validity.

What you said here reminds me of some ppl saying that doing science such as becoming a doctor, engineering, IT, computer science, etc are the only marketable fields. That's not true. When parents say this to their children, that could really misguide some of them. There are ways to survive, succeed, and contribute in different fields.

37 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Funny you should say this as I'm reading Steven Hawking's book "A Brief History of Time". Seems he could handle both S and H quite well. 

This is the danger of theory.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

There is no way to live without the mind 

One may find harmonious action instead of reaction but this does not mean there will not be desires. Desires and preferences will be seen for what they are and still play a vital role in the game of life  

@cetus56 they were examples. The only thing stopping you from being happy in any field of life is the unclear mind.

@DrewNows there are two types of “mind.” They are the clear mind and the unclear mind. Both minds of course have thoughts, but the clear mind does not attach to them. They are like air just passing through. The unclear mind is manipulated by thoughts because it is attached to them and believes those thoughts are real.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Dude, stop talking about things you do not understand.

Where do you think I’m wrong? I’m willing to hear your thoughts on this topic.

@How to be wise There is no conflict in Wu-Wei.  Doing - not doing.

The game plays the game.

The poem writes the poem.

We can't tell the dancer from the dance.

@cetus56 Not so easy to do in this life:

The pain is the pain.

A person saying, "I am the pain," without suffering is rare. There is a special kind of mole that doesn't have any nerves that could do this. :P

That's why we use our life purpose as a vehicle to actualize with flow -- to reduce our karma and hopefully, by the end of our lives, reach nirvana and graduate from this life so we don't have to be embodied in any ego ever again. Or...we have the free will to go anywhere and become anything, anytime/anywhere after we reach nirvana. That's what it means too, right? Everythingness / Nothingness.

10 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

That's why we use our life purpose as a vehicle to actualize with flow

So every action we take until then is reactionary? 

A person saying, "I am the pain," without suffering is rare.

Does the person denying they are the pain sustain suffering? 

There is a special kind of mole that doesn't have any nerves that could do this. :P

Maybe those nerves are dulled by consistently denying/resisting what is. Maybe that’s the cost in a life of action influiced by reaction. 

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

@How to be wise There is no conflict in Wu-Wei.  Doing - not doing.

The game plays the game.

The poem writes the poem.

We can't tell the dancer from the dance.

Never heard of this wu-wei. 

Interesting, this wu-wei has a nice ring to it. Is in reference to undivided action? 

Edited by Jack River

52 minutes ago, Jack River said:

So every action we take until then is reactionary? 

Why not? Don't you want to graduate from this life since it's just an illusion? It's a play. It's a school. It's testing us. You have choice in this life, but you don't have free will. Until the ego completely dies, then you'll have complete free will.

3 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

Don't you want to graduate from this life since it's just an illusion?

Just an illusion? 

4 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

You have choice in this life, but you don't have free will.

Reaction/will/choice all born of time right?

As well as the conclusion “just an illusion”. 

6 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

Until the ego completely dies, then you'll have complete free will.

No will is free. 

Freedom first. Effort-resistance denies death. 

Die now, not later. 

Until moment to moment death to the past all action simply perpetuates further confusion, contradiction, conflict.. 

namean dude:)

I already said everything I know. Now, it's up to you to do research or have direct experience of this. :)