winterknight

If you want to learn the spiritual path, read the ancient texts!

36 posts in this topic

If you're trying to learn about the path of non-dual spiritual truth, don't limit yourself to blog posts and Youtube videos. Educate yourself by reading the ancients!

In the Hindu tradition (which I come from), read the Bhagavad Gita, the Upanishads, Yoga Vasistha, the Ashtavakra Gita, Ribhu Gita, and more.

Try to apply, think about, and feel these texts. Ask questions about them. Read commentaries on them.

These texts are huge treasuries of amazing wisdom and depth written by unquestioned masters, and they have lasted centuries or even millennia for a reason.

You are hugely missing out if you limit yourself to people living today.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

I love the Gita.  Nothing like a conversation with a God in between two massive armies about to have at each other. 

But the books on the Enlightenment section of the booklist were so much more powerful for me...

Maybe I should reread some of the old texts though... 

:) 

I like how the Bhagavad Gita was applied to Mahabharat--when Krishna was reciting some of it to Arjun because Arjun was full of fear and horrified to participate in the war. But, life must go on. Life is a school, even though your lessons in life are meant to be adverse.

I like a variety of different sources from all over the world. That's what helped me to understand better. 

Very true. Though I'd like to add I personally find modern texts valuable because they're written in a way that's more relatable to me, from the writing style to the content itself; they feel relevant. 

9 hours ago, winterknight said:

If you're trying to learn about the path of non-dual spiritual truth, don't limit yourself to blog posts and Youtube videos. Educate yourself by reading the ancients!

In the Hindu tradition (which I come from), read the Bhagavad Gita, the Upanishads, Yoga Vasistha, the Ashtavakra Gita, Ribhu Gita, and more.

Try to apply, think about, and feel these texts. Ask questions about them. Read commentaries on them.

These texts are huge treasuries of amazing wisdom and depth written by unquestioned masters, and they have lasted centuries or even millennia for a reason.

You are hugely missing out if you limit yourself to people living today.

What should I read if I want the gist of Buddhism?

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Don't do it folks. Listen to Leo and just Meditate on Breath, don't ge entangled. Cause we don't see past the choices we don't understand. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Hellspeed each book has it's own light/energy. You have mastered the breath technique. We're still in the inquiry phase.....

But I will focus on what i've learned last week first. And on the books that i've just bought yesterday haha?

I need to understand first why I am doing anything in the first place. 

The gurus aren't always there to answer my question either. So I do need books. And God. 

Edited by Angelite

5 minutes ago, Angelite said:

@Hellspeed each book has it's own light/energy. You have mastered the breath technique. We're still in the inquiry phase.....

But I will focus on what i've learned last week first. And on the books that i've just bought yesterday haha?

I need to understand first why I am doing anything in the first place. 

Don't mind me :) I'm spreading a faster way of doing things, and that is not gathering info. 

Why woud anyone gather if he/she is at the same time a transmitter and a receiver and a control panel to see all this, all times, forever. hahahaha

Edited by Hellspeed

Just now, Angelite said:

@Hellspeed how did you do it? The breath.

Accepting realitty as it is, don't wanting to change it, going with the change, being the change. Everything in everyone and viceversa. 

@Hellspeed i'm fine with what's already here in the now. But i'm still curious. 

But nevermind. The answers are all there in the books. Maybe after i'm done with all the inquiries ,I can apply it. On top of what i've already known & practice.:)

Edited by Angelite

4 hours ago, Rilles said:

What should I read if I want the gist of Buddhism?

Sadly I am not very familiar. I think it depends on which school of Buddhism you're interested in. Maybe Google that and look up its canonical texts?

I can certainly recommend the works of Bodhidharma, the founder of Zen. Very short and very beautiful. But you could also consider asking on Dharmawheel, a Buddhist discussion forum.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

10 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

@Angelite Hellspeed is not enlightened, he's just delusional.

@winterknight What's the difference between 'Bhagavad Gita' and 'Bhagavad Gita As It is'? Can I just read the latter one?

The "BG as it is" comes from a very dualistic translator & commentator... would not recommend BG as it is.

Read this translation.

1 hour ago, winterknight said:

Sadly I am not very familiar. I think it depends on which school of Buddhism you're interested in. Maybe Google that and look up its canonical texts?

I can certainly recommend the works of Bodhidharma, the founder of Zen. Very short and very beautiful. But you could also consider asking on Dharmawheel, a Buddhist discussion forum.

Thanks! ??❤️

Dont look at me! Look inside!

16 hours ago, winterknight said:

If you want to learn the spiritual path, read the ancient texts!

i'm here to suggest the very opposite. simply BE.

unborn Truth

22 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

i'm here to suggest the very opposite. simply BE.

Only already extremely disciplined minds can do that just by hearing it. All the rest need instruction and practice.